Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Favors: "I'm allowed to ask, she can say no"
Previous  1  2

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 7:47 pm
And what happens when that person who whines, begs, and emotionally blackmails... is a parent?
My mother, out of desperation, has asked me for numerous favors over the years that were very uncomfortable. I couldn't just put my foot down with her.

youngishbear

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 7:52 pm
amother wrote:
And what happens when that person who whines, begs, and emotionally blackmails... is a parent?
My mother, out of desperation, has asked me for numerous favors over the years that were very uncomfortable. I couldn't just put my foot down with her.

Depending on what the favors are and what your situation is you may be obligated to do them no matter if you like it or not.

And if you're not obligated, and you really can't stretch yourself that far, and you cannot find alternative sources of help for the parent, you do need to learn to put up some boundaries.

mirror

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 11:14 am
Some people have no sense of boundaries. Their attitude is based on Pirkei Avos "What's yours is mine and what's mine is mine." I have a friend who asks favors and sometimes I have to say no, so she lays on the guilt trip and says how difficult it was for her. If I would say yes every time then I would be a total shmatta.

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 11:28 am
my thoughts are it is horrible to ask someone who you know won't say 'no' - it only makes it worse if the person who is pressured cannot stand up to the task at hand or is otherwise compromising her own welfare or that of her family

what does one even gain out of this? sounds like a selfish narcissistic person to me & they most likely don't even care ~ gosharuni
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics