Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Eskimo Dress up

Great ma

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 10:26 am
My son is dreaming of being an eskimo on Purim - any ideas how to dress him up so? any links to websites or pictures or method would be really helpful! Thank you

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 10:31 am
You might want to do some reading on the cultural appropriation of Native Alaskan's dress. It's not really a done thing these days. Chances are, you won't run into a Native person on Purim, but that's not really the point.

https://www.ohio.edu/orgs/star......html

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 10:35 am
I would buy a brown sweatshirt and sweat pants and sew/glue fur on the edges of the sleeves, hood, pants from the knees down, and pocket

anon for this

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 10:42 am
This clip shows a native Alaskan girl dressing for winter.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 10:50 am
How about something like this:
http://www.halloweencostumes.c......html

Ruchel

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 11:12 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
You might want to do some reading on the cultural appropriation of Native Alaskan's dress. It's not really a done thing these days. Chances are, you won't run into a Native person on Purim, but that's not really the point.

I would like if a neighbour dressed as a yid for carnival. But again I'm chilled Euro. It's very done here.

Very cool idea, btw. I suggest fish 'sardines (??) for MMs, as well as ice something.

Raisin

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 1:29 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

if op is worried about this issue, maybe her kids would like to be an arctic/antartic explorer.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 1:50 pm
Raisin wrote:
if op is worried about this issue, maybe her kids would like to be an arctic/antartic explorer.

DD is going to be an arctic wolf for Purim. Ears, tail, and fuzzy jacket.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 1:56 pm
Raisin wrote:

If that's the case they can dress as Perry, Shackleton or Amundsen, or the hundreds of other polar explorers. (FWIW there are no native people at the South Pole, unless the are part of the polar station crew.)

Raisin

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 2:03 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
If that's the case they can dress as Perry, Shackleton or Amundsen, or the hundreds of other polar explorers. (FWIW there are no native people at the South Pole, unless the are part of the polar station crew.)

right but explorers and a native alaskan likely wear pretty similar clothing. Especially a victorian explorer. (nowadays I imagine it is all high tech and brightly coloured)

OP don't forget purim is quite late this year, it might be warm.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 2:08 pm
Here's the way it was explained to me. If someone steps on your toes, you can say "Oh, I don't mind. I'm wearing steel toed boots. It doesn't hurt at all."

If someone else says "Ow, you're stepping on my toes! Please stop." then the polite thing to do is to not step on them.

Do not tell them that just because you're fine with something, that means that they have to be fine with it, too.

I have a friend who is Native Alaskan, and she is fiercely protective of her culture - especially given that there's so little left of it. When other people use it as a dress up costume, it "hurts her toes", so please don't.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 2:18 pm
Raisin wrote:
right but explorers and a native alaskan likely wear pretty similar clothing. Especially a victorian explorer. (nowadays I imagine it is all high tech and brightly coloured)

OP don't forget purim is quite late this year, it might be warm.

The Shackleton team and most other teams wore clothing manufactured and designed for their explorations. Filson and Woolrich were two American companies who did major outfitting for polar explorers of the time. During the great age of polar exploration outfitters vied for the chance to have their clothing used on expeditions.

Recently (past 4 years) Henry Worsley attempted to cross the ice field replicating Shackletons trek in period clothing. There is a good video documenting the journey on Hulu. At an early point it was determined that it would be suicidal for Worsley and his crew to attempt the trek across the ice in historically accurate clothing. (Unfortunately Worsely recently died on his last expedition.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics