Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Fondant for beginners

kiwi strawberry

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 11:21 am
I would like to learn how to use fondant to decorate a cake. I've never used it before and don't know much about it. Can I buy it or do I make it myself? If you can buy it, does it come in different colors or do I color it myself? What tools do I need to work with it? Where in Flatbush can I get anything I would need for it? Feel free to share your fondant tips Very Happy

TIA! Smile

water_bear88

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 12:05 pm
I'm pretty sure the brand I've used is imported from the US- I think it's called Satin Ice (or something like that).

You can get different colors, or you can color it yourself. I don't recommend getting a huge container of a color you're only planning on using for accents, thinking you'll use it up on other projects, unless you have a clear idea of what projects. White is the only color I'd say to get as big a container as you think you might use, since you can dye it. I dye small amounts with gel food coloring.

I don't have any special fondant tools, though I'd recommend a flat-bladed (non-serrated) knife. Toothpicks can also help. I'm also fairly new to this and would love any other tips!

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 12:54 pm
Check YouTube for tutorials. You'll find all the recipes and techniques you'll need, and if you can actually see it being done it will make a lot more sense to you. Try Pinterest for inspiring pictures.

Have fun, and remember, you can always eat the disasters! LOL

kiwi strawberry

Post Sat, Feb 13 2016, 9:16 pm
Does anyone know where I can buy fondant in Flatbush?

Water bear, what's gel food coloring? How is it different than regular liquid food coloring? If there's such a thing as colored kosher fondant I think I'd rather that than have to deal with making sure I dye it the right shade.

chocolatecake

Post Sat, Feb 13 2016, 9:46 pm
I recently bought fondant for the first time for.a cake. I got it at either glatt mart or mountain fruit dont remember which. it was a heimish brand. it said to put in microwave first before you roll it and I did not and it rolled just fine it was not too hard to work with.

kiwi strawberry

Post Sat, Feb 13 2016, 10:02 pm
Really?? I thought you had to buy it in a specialty store. Does it come in different colors or white or what? I wouldn't put it in my microwave either because ours is milchig. Does it come with enough to cover a cake?

rgr

Post Sat, Feb 13 2016, 11:52 pm
Gel food coloring is important because regular food coloring adds liquid that changes the texture of the fondant. Gel is also more concentrated, so you need less , yet it gives a pure and true color.

For fondant I know Gourmet Glatt has in Brooklyn, I think regular grocery stores carry it by now. If you want the real deal in decorating supplies go to Kerekes at 6103 15th Ave. Its an enjoyable experience just to look around there, they have everything!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins