Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Minneapolis vs. St. Louis

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 2:16 pm
I have no idea about these communities.
Whats the chinuch like there?
How big are the communities?
Is there a boys high school?
Are they nice warm communities?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 5:27 pm
We are happy in Minneapolis.

The community is somewhere between 2 and 3 hundred frum families. Its pretty much one community, in St Louis park.

There is only one k-8 school here, Torah academy. We are B'H very very happy with it. I currently have three school aged kids, and they love school. The teachers have all been very warm and caring towards my children. On Shabbos their is b'nos, and perchei.

There is a yeshiva, its in its 3rd year, and its in a beautiful building, and a bais Yaakov, which will be moving into a new building IY'H next year.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 5:37 pm
*sorry, I wasn't finished writing. not sure what happened.

There are two main shuls in the area, bais yisroel, which I would consider the bigger of the two, and kenesset Israel, which was an older shul, until last year, when I younger rabbi left the kollel to help this shul.

The community kollel has a lot of programing for the community.

There is a small modern orthodox community, but most people are more "yeshivish/working"

There are two resturaunts, a milichig and fleishig, and one kosher only grocery store. but all the major stores carry kosher food. There is also a kosher bakery and a Judaic store.

Everyone is so nice here, and everyone goes to everyone else's simchas. It really has a small out of town feel.

The area of st Louis park is a very nice area. It is safe and clean and a nice place to live. Everything is close by, but you do need a car.

Yes, it gets cold here. very cold. But you learn to deal with it. Dress warm and that's its.

please let me know if you need any more info.

we have a committee that sets people up if they come to visit.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 5:41 pm
Wow thanks that was extremely helpful!
Sounds like a lovely community!
What are jobs like? Hard to find? Easy?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 5:57 pm
what type of jobs are you looking for?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 6:18 pm
I'm not trained.
What's affordability like?
Rentals (apt)?
Buying?
Tia!

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 6:30 pm
St. Louis, Missouri (not to be confused w/ St. Louis Park)

Chinuch: 2 Elementary schools. One is MO co-ed the other is overall more yeshivish (rules are closer to BY style), but definitely a nice mix, boys and girls are in separate branches from maybe 1st or 2nd grade.

HS: There are 2 or 3. Long story. One is a BY. OOT style, very warm place, great extracurricular program, also a mix. Other is MO but separate (no clue if they are still open. I personally don't live in STL anymore). Other is MO, co-ed, I think.

For boys, there is (was?) a yeshiva high. It's called Block. MO, but I think more right wing. There is also a Chofetz Chaim yeshiva (Missouri Torah Institute, you could prob. google it)20 min. commute from STL from community (its in another community called Chesterfield). Very warm place, rapidly growing. They recently moved to a beautiful campus.

Yes, very nice and warm community. I can't help you w/ specifics as I don't live there anymore, but hope this was helpful.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 10:45 pm
I don't think it's so hard to find jobs here.

We started out in an apt here, and I think we paid around $1000 a month for a two bedroom. The only thing with apartments in the eiruv is that you can only move in with two (maybe it's 3?) or less kids. They don't kick you out once your in, but if you have more, you can't legally move in.

Houses cost anywhere from 250,000 up. This isn't Detroit where you can get a very large house for 250,000, but you can get a 3 bedroom decent house for around that.

Can I ask what made you interested in Minneapolis?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 4:51 am
amother wrote:
I don't think it's so hard to find jobs here.

We started out in an apt here, and I think we paid around $1000 a month for a two bedroom. The only thing with apartments in the eiruv is that you can only move in with two (maybe it's 3?) or less kids. They don't kick you out once your in, but if you have more, you can't legally move in.

Houses cost anywhere from 250,000 up. This isn't Detroit where you can get a very large house for 250,000, but you can get a 3 bedroom decent house for around that.

Can I ask what made you interested in Minneapolis?

That's ok we have one kid. Sounds nice and affordable.
I'm interested in Minneapolis because we want to move oot to live among sincere warm and friendly people not in the thick of NY trying to keep up with the Joneses.
Everyone who I spoke to kept saying Minneapolis has the most friendly community it sounds like u guys win the award for the nicest community in the US!
And apparently St Louis also...
So I'm just fishing for info
Minneapolis actually sounds like a great fit for us

Teomima

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 5:23 am
I grew up in Minneapolis (I left 26 years ago though have been back to visit many times since) and it's a really nice community in a beautiful city.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 8:16 am
If you have one kid, then the joppa lane apartments are a perfect place to start. We lived there for two years, and many people start out there. Right now there are a number of families who live in that apartment. Its across the street from bais yisroel, and a block from school. It's also across from the fleishig restiraunt and kosher grocery store.

How old is your child?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 4:10 am
I have a baby. Is there a good babysitter?
Also what's the hashkafic leanings in the yeshiva highschool for boys? (I know its a weird question coming from s1 with a baby but I dont want to eventually have to send kids away from a young age

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 9:09 am
Here is the yeshiva website http://yofm.org/
Not sure how detailed the website is. I don't have kids that age yet, so I can't give you personal experience. We moved here before the yeshiva, thinking we would send our boys away, so the opening was like a dream for us, and many people here.

There are a few good babysitters, and Torah academy has a 16 month old class.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 10:40 am
Thanks for the website
What percentage of the community is young?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 12:12 pm
Btw what's the sheitelmacher situation there? Is there one or do you have to go to another town or something?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 12:15 pm
I'm not good with percentages. It is defiantly a growing younger community. Lots of younger couples are moving here, or grew up here and got married and are now moving back. Id say off the top of my head, I can think of at least 15 to 20 young couples. It may not sound like a ton, but in a smaller community, I think it's pretty good.

I wouldn't say there there is a huge social life for the younger crowd here, but if you are looking for friends your age, or with kids your child's age, you will find that here.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 12:16 pm
Yes, there are two, shaitel machers here In town.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Mar 28 2016, 3:41 pm
im wondering if anyone could tell me what tuition rates are like there?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating