Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
It seems Bernie Sanders has frum fans in Brooklyn
Previous  1  2

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 4:02 pm
amother wrote:
Button line, will I get more food stamps Very Happy

Bottom line, will I pay more than the ridiculous amount I pay now so you can get more food stamps?

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 9:34 am
Can anyone explain to me how Senator Sanders beat Secretary Clinton by 22 percentage points in the New Hampshire primary but Mrs. Clinton comes out with at least as many New Hampshire delegates as Mr. Sanders? Is this rigged or what?

http://dailycaller.com/2016/02.....loss/

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 11:42 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Can anyone explain to me how Senator Sanders beat Secretary Clinton by 22 percentage points in the New Hampshire primary but Mrs. Clinton comes out with at least as many New Hampshire delegates as Mr. Sanders? Is this rigged or what?

http://dailycaller.com/2016/02.....loss/

The answer is in the link you posted. Not all parties allot delegates in the same manner.

doctorima

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 11:55 am
I had the same question. I believe the answer is that the numbers we're seeing include super-delegates from that state, and Hillary has a large advantage over Bernie in super-delegates, who tend to be from the establishment, who have already pledged and committed to support her.

sequoia

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 1:51 pm
This is democracy?!

Bernieeee!!!!

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 3:11 pm
sequoia wrote:
This is democracy?!

Bernieeee!!!!

There does seem something wrong with this system. Maybe they should flip a coin instead.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 3:34 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
There does seem something wrong with this system. Maybe they should flip a coin instead.

Are you referring to those coins they flipped in the Iowa Caucus to break ties, where 6 out of 6 coin flips all went to Hillary Clinton?

anon for this

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 4:00 pm
I do like the idea of free public universities, or at least cheaper tuition. A college education is one key to economic mobility. When I attended public university years ago, it was much more affordable because the state subsidized it heavily. Now that states are covering much less of the cost, tuition has skyrocketed and a university education is out of reach for many. True, community colleges are more affordable, but some aren't very good. And most offer only a limited range of majors.

And I remember when Hillary Clinton was in favor of a single-payer health care system, and all the pushback she got on it.

Still, I'm not sure exactly how Sanders plans to pay for all of this. More to the point, how does he think he'll be able to push his ideas through the House and Senate? Obama had trouble getting cap and trade through Congress--and that was originally a Republican (Reagan and HW Bush) idea with overwhelming Republican party support. Unless the power balance in the House and Senate changes significantly, and stays that way, none of Sanders' ideas have much chance of happening even if he is elected.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 4:17 pm
anon for this wrote:
I do like the idea of free public universities, or at least cheaper tuition.

I doubt any of Bernies plans will bring about any reduction of tuition at Touro, and other private colleges.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 4:52 pm
amother wrote:
I doubt any of Bernies plans will bring about any reduction of tuition at Touro, and other private colleges.

Sanders has said nothing about private colleges and universities. His focus is on public education.

anon for this

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 8:27 pm
amother wrote:

As MagentaYenta said, his plan doesn't include any tuition reduction at private universities. However, if tuition at state universities were free, I would expect that after a while some private universities would have to reduce tuition to remain competitive, or go out of business. I think this would only be true for private universities that draw from the same admission pool as public universities. Schools whose applicants wouldn't consider public universities, whether for religious/ social reasons (like Touro or Brigham Young) or for academic/ prestige reasons (like the Ivies) probably won't feel that pressure to reduce tuition.

Why do my posts in political threads get hugs? It's quite passive-aggressive. If you disagree with me, just say so.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 8:39 pm
Don't worry about the Superdelegates....

http://www.pastemagazine.com/a......html

Heyaaa

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 11:04 pm
I honestly don't get the point in delegates. If they don't count then why are they being counted?

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 5:04 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Are you referring to those coins they flipped in the Iowa Caucus to break ties, where 6 out of 6 coin flips all went to Hillary Clinton?

Yes

fmt4

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 5:08 am
Heyaaa wrote:
I honestly don't get the point in delegates. If they don't count then why are they being counted?

Of course they count. The candidate with most delegates wins the primary. That article is just saying that super delegates (individual democratic politicians who's vote counts for like 10,000 reg votes ) won't decide a primary against the public's will because that will seem too corrupt- this probably refers to the states towards the end of the primary, where their vote can really tip the scales.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 7:50 am

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 10:52 am
deleted
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics