Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Chicken soup is not fleishig?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 9:01 pm
DH says he learned that if you eat chicken broth, or even beef broth, that has all the pieces of meat removed, you're not fleishings from eating it. You can right away eat ice cream after. Anyone heard of this? Hold by this?

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 9:07 pm
Scratching Head Scratching Head Scratching Head

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 9:16 pm
If cooking chicken in a pot makes the pot fleishig, how does it not make the cooking liquid fleishig?

That makes no sense.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 9:16 pm
I asked Rabbi Eckstein Belze dayan in Boro Park and he said if the soup had chicken or meat you are fleishig and must wait 6 hours to eat dairy

Sadie

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 9:18 pm
Yes I have heard of this, I think it's in the shulchan aruch, but nobody follows this today.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 9:21 pm
I don't know how it makes sense. DH says he learned this in smicha class. I keep thinking he must have misunderstood. Makes no sense to me at all and I almost lost it when he started saying in front of the kids that he can eat pizza after his chicken soup because no pieces of chicken were in it anymore (I had removed the chicken already from the pot). He didn't eat the pizza to keep me calm, but he is insistent on this point. Wondering if anyone else ever heard such a thing.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 9:22 pm
Sadie wrote:
Yes I have heard of this, I think it's in the shulchan aruch, but nobody follows this today.

Right, this is what I kept telling him that even if it is so in SA, it must be that nobody holds like this today. Never have I heard of anyone to do such a thing.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 9:30 pm
Maybe ask him to clarify with his rav before he goes around making this claim or putting it into practice.

Sadie

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 10:24 pm
amother wrote:
Right, this is what I kept telling him that even if it is so in SA, it must be that nobody holds like this today. Never have I heard of anyone to do such a thing.

Yeah the teacher I heard this from was a rav. He said it's written in the SA but no communities currently hold by it and not to do it. And this was a very liberal rav that always taught the most lenient opinions.

November

Post Mon, Feb 08 2016, 10:29 pm
Does your husband usually look for and follow very lenient opinions?
If so, and that is not where you are at, it's time for a big conversation. You might want to get a Rabbi who is familiar to you both involved.

Raisin

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 2:07 am
I guess because it is more easily digested?

goodmorning

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 5:54 am
SA YD 89:3
Quote:

אֲבָל אִם בָּא לֶאֱכֹל הַגְּבִינָה עַצְמָהּ אַחַר תַּבְשִׁיל שֶׁל בָּשָׂר, אוֹ הַבָּשָׂר עַצְמוֹ אַחַר תַּבְשִׁיל שֶׁל גְּבִינָה, חוֹבָה לִטֹּל יָדָיו

Note that the Rema disagrees, along with many other Ashkenazi opinions:
Quote:
וְנָהֲגוּ עַכְשָׁו לְהַחְמִיר שֶׁלֹּא לֶאֱכֹל גְּבִינָה אַחַר תַּבְשִׁיל בָּשָׂר, כְּמוֹ אַחַר בָּשָׂר עַצְמוֹ, וְאֵין לְשַׁנּוֹת וְלִפְרֹץ גָּדֵר

For that matter, a number of later Sefardi poskim disagree (e.g. Chida, Ben Ish Chai, etc.) and I don't think that the opinion of the SA is followed l'halacha by any community today.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 5:56 am
It's more troubling that he did this in front of the kids, what is he trying to prove?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 5:57 am
goodmorning wrote:
SA YD 89:3
Quote:

אֲבָל אִם בָּא לֶאֱכֹל הַגְּבִינָה עַצְמָהּ אַחַר תַּבְשִׁיל שֶׁל בָּשָׂר, אוֹ הַבָּשָׂר עַצְמוֹ אַחַר תַּבְשִׁיל שֶׁל גְּבִינָה, חוֹבָה לִטֹּל יָדָיו

Note that the Rema disagrees, along with many other Ashkenazi opinions:
Quote:
וְנָהֲגוּ עַכְשָׁו לְהַחְמִיר שֶׁלֹּא לֶאֱכֹל גְּבִינָה אַחַר תַּבְשִׁיל בָּשָׂר, כְּמוֹ אַחַר בָּשָׂר עַצְמוֹ, וְאֵין לְשַׁנּוֹת וְלִפְרֹץ גָּדֵר

For that matter, a number of later Sefardi poskim disagree (e.g. Chida, Ben Ish Chai, etc.) and I don't think that the opinion of the SA is followed l'halacha by any community today.

Translation, please? (I don't trust Google Translate)

Classicookie

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 6:03 am
Well if you want to get tecnacal chicken is poltrey not meat so really you should be allowed to eat chicken and milk but somehow somewhere thing changed and now we do what we do

lefty1

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 6:45 am
I learned in hs that it's a machloket (ramban and rambam I think ) why we wait - is it because of the taste from our stomachs from or because you could still have mea stuck in your teeth. If it's because of meat in teeth, you wouldn't wait after clear broth but if it is about taste you would. On the flip side, if one chewed meat but spit it out, would have to wait according to the teeth opinion and not according to the taste. We are machmir for both opinions. I find it troubling that a semicha class would be less in depth than my hs halacha class.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 7:02 am
It is known that acording to the torah chicken is pareve - its a bird - not meat
The chachomim thought that people could get confused because they are so similar and so they considered it fleishig

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 7:32 am
well I recently heard something similar from a knowledgeable person ... his wife accidentally gave me something like rice which had some chicken broth in it & I was upset because I was going to an ice cream party

he claimed I could eat the ice cream because the food was not mamish meaty - that was about the oddest thing I've ever heard

um yeah I waited ...

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 8:15 am
mom2zahava wrote:
Well if you want to get tecnacal chicken is poltrey not meat so really you should be allowed to eat chicken and milk but somehow somewhere thing changed and now we do what we do
Actually, I believe it is a Halacha MiDiRabanan that chicken is Fleishig.

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 8:17 am
amother wrote:
It is known that acording to the torah chicken is pareve - its a bird - not meat
The chachomim thought that people could get confused because they are so similar and so they considered it fleishig
The Torah doesn't specify that chicken is Pareve. It also deosn't specify that it is Fleishig. There was a debate about what the Halacha is, and I believe the Gemara says it is considered Fleishig.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions