Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Most fun you had at a shul dinner
1  2  Next

ruby slippers

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 3:48 pm
I am working on our shul dinner- Anyone out there do something fun at one of these types of functions?

imasinger

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 3:50 pm
Rolling Laughter

That was pretty funny right there.

ruby slippers

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 3:51 pm
lol!!!

LittleDucky

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 4:21 pm
Best time at shul dinner was when I didn't go :-).

imasoftov

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 4:30 pm
When I worked in the coat room and got tipped.

ruby slippers

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 5:31 pm
You guys are funny- maybe I should rephrase, if you have to go to a shul dinner, what would make it more fun???

MamaBear

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 5:55 pm
I once went to a dinner that had a photo booth with props. Serious fun for all ages...usually Wink

Holding it at a fun place - I went to an event at a local planetarium and after the dinner was a constellation show

kiwi strawberry

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 6:12 pm
I was just at a dinner where they had a frum mind reader/mentalist put on a performance-it was so cool! Very very entertaining and everyone loved it. I don't know if that's the kind of thing you had in mind.

ruby slippers

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 6:27 pm
kiwi strawberry wrote:
I was just at a dinner where they had a frum mind reader/mentalist put on a performance-it was so cool! Very very entertaining and everyone loved it. I don't know if that's the kind of thing you had in mind.
yes- that kind of stuff- thanks!

ruby slippers

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 6:33 pm
are caricatures still a fun thing? or has anyone done wax hands kind of thing?

kiwi strawberry

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 6:44 pm
The performer they had was Marc Garfinkel. I guess google him to find his info or I can try to find out, if you're interested.

ruby slippers

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 6:59 pm
I will google him - thanks!

kiwi strawberry

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 7:05 pm
No problem, hope you find something good Smile I think the caricatures are a pretty cute idea too but I would wonder if it's too 'bat mitzva-ish' like too juvenile. That reminds me of something I saw at a super duper upscale bas mitzva-this stand where you take a picture with someone and they print the picture out in a chocolate lolipop! Pareve chocolate. That was cool. I can try to get the info for that too if you're interested.

ruby slippers

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 9:18 pm
Thanks- another great idea to research!

samantha87

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 10:52 pm
LittleDucky wrote:
Best time at shul dinner was when I didn't go :-).

You beat me to it!

Also, like others wrote, holding it in a fun venue. If you have a big budget, in Manhattan I've been to events at the Museum of Jewish Heritage, the Intrepid, and places with amazing views. Or somewhere with a garden to roam in decent weather. Anything to allow guests an unobtrusive diversion from the program.

LittleDucky

Post Tue, Feb 09 2016, 11:52 pm
samantha87 wrote:
You beat me to it!

Also, like others wrote, holding it in a fun venue. If you have a big budget, in Manhattan I've been to events at the Museum of Jewish Heritage, the Intrepid, and places with amazing views. Or somewhere with a garden to roam in decent weather. Anything to allow guests an unobtrusive diversion from the program.

So basically, everyone is there because they have to, they don't want to be there, detest the forever speeches, are bored with the program in general (video, photo projector, long speeches, honorees, rubber chicken...) so give them an activity or venue where they will forget why they are even there!

imasoftov

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 5:05 am
eema1 wrote:
You guys are funny- maybe I should rephrase, if you have to go to a shul dinner, what would make it more fun???

In this hypothetical, why do I have to?

esther09

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 7:00 am
The best school/shul dinners I've been to have had very short actual programs. No speeches longer than 5 minutes and only have a few altogether. Maybe use a video to introduce honorees to break up the speeches. Most people I know avoid these things because so many boring speeches...

MamaBear

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 8:28 am
Why is there such a more negative reaction to shul dinners versus school and organization dinners?

ruby slippers

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 9:47 am
imasoftov wrote:
In this hypothetical, why do I have to?

ha ha-of course you don't HAVE to o anything, but let's say its your parents being honored....
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics