Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
I really want to like using a crock pot but...

Raw

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 1:25 pm
I find there is a taste that develops with very long cooked foods in the slow cooker. It tastes like over cooking, not slow cooking to me.

But, a Shabbos meal in the crock pot is super appealing to me.
Is there something I'm doing wrong?
Are there certain tricks that I'm not aware of?

I don't like cholent so have tried a few different stews and chillies. They're ok but much better on the stove for a few hours.

Any advice?

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 1:27 pm
use liners

but the pot on a low temp

it's perhaps an acquired taste - one that you don't fancy

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 1:53 pm
it depends on what you put in the crock pot. yes, cooking any meal overnight in a crock pot will give it a flavor it will not get on the stove for a few hours.

I suggest you try chicken and rice. it's simple: equal amounts rice and water, salt to taste, mix. place chicken pieces over rice, covering as much rice as possible. spice chicken. set on low for 6-8 hours, high for 3-4 hours. alternatively, you can cook it overnight. try this during the week first to see if your crock pot is overnight recipe friendly. different brands get to different temperatures, you need to experiment with yours for a bit.

tichellady

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 2:35 pm
I find cooking overnight gives that taste but cooking on Friday for Friday night can work well especially if you add fresh herbs at the end or some extra spices or add sautéed onions in the beginning.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 2:40 pm
I like brown rice and meat stew when cooked over Shabbos but make sure not to cook it longer than 20-24 hours on low (no pre-cooked either).

I also like cholent, but same hourly requirement. And absolutely no honey in the cholent, or else that same "taste" develops even after cooking for this amount of time.

I agree with you that most items cooked for that long in the crockpot taste overcooked and have a slightly burnt type of taste and I don't make them.

I do love dinner on the crockpot but cook very minimally. Think 6 hours on low with no liquid for a whole chicken, 5.5 hours on low for meatballs, etc.

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Feb 10 2016, 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

penguin

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 3:29 pm
I have heard a theory that foods come along with enzymes to help you digest them. (Maybe veg more than other foods). So raw is better than cooked. Barely cooked is better than overcooked.

By the time you get to cholent the enzymes are really and truly gone, and this is why some people have trouble with their digestion after eating cholent & similar foods.

YMMV, of course.

studying_torah

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 4:33 pm
My husband doesn't like slow cooked or braised foods either. Some ppl just don't like that taste or texture I guess.

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 4:39 pm
I really don't like chulent in the crockpot I find it gets so dark and a very "heavy" often burnt taste to it. I sometimes put the crockpot on early friday morning and we eat the chulent Friday night, then I don't mind it.

Supper wise, I have several times tried to make different recipes in the crockpot but they never taste good. Either too heavy or too bland or watery. Or it burns. And I only have 3 settings (hi lo warm) and use only 1 (low). It is just not for me.

zaq

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 5:09 pm
You don't like the taste of food cooked in a crock-pot , don't use one. People have been cheerfully and successfully cooking stovetop for centuries, and there is no mitzvah to use a crockpot. I don't understand why you "want to like using" one. If you have one and don't like it, give it away to someone who already likes it and doesn't have to work at liking it. It's not like wanting to like your new sister-in-law or neighbor. That, there's reason to work at.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 6:01 pm
What type of crock do you have. Mine ius made of porcelain, and I've never experienced what you described

Raw

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 6:30 pm
Thanks, some good suggestions here. I have an unused new crock pot which is replacing a Hamilton beach that I didn't like.
Also, to clarify, it's not just slow cooker dishes that I'm finding tastes strange but any dish cooked for so long (incl. on the Blech or in the oven).

I just want to find a hot meal for Shabbos lunch that doesn't have that over cooked, heavy flavor.

Raw

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 6:33 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I like brown rice and meat stew when cooked over Shabbos but make sure not to cook it longer than 20-24 hours on low (no pre-cooked either).

I also like cholent, but same hourly requirement. And absolutely no honey in the cholent, or else that same "taste" develops even after cooking for this amount of time.

I agree with you that most items cooked for that long in the crockpot taste overcooked and have a slightly burnt type of taste and I don't make them.

I do love dinner on the crockpot but cook very minimally. Think 6 hours on low with no liquid for a whole chicken, 5.5 hours on low for meatballs, etc.

Can you please tell me what dishes you make for Shabbos lunch in the slow cooker that don't taste over cooked and slightly burnt?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 10 2016, 6:40 pm
Raw wrote:
Can you please tell me what dishes you make for Shabbos lunch in the slow cooker that don't taste over cooked and slightly burnt?

Only brown rice stew or a really good cholent. I don't cook anything else for that long.

Raw

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 10:14 am
ra_mom wrote:
Only brown rice stew or a really good cholent. I don't cook anything else for that long.

Thanks. I've pulled up your rice meat stew recipe. Can you tell me if I just later the ingredients in or mix them around?
Do I put it on low the entire time?
Thanks!

Raisin

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 10:38 am
Raw wrote:

pureed vegetable soup (I make carrot usually) doesn't taste so different.

Chickpea

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 10:44 am
Bukharian cholent. Contains chicken, rice, onions, tomatoes, carrots. Excellent.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 11:02 am
Raw wrote:
Thanks. I've pulled up your rice meat stew recipe. Can you tell me if I just later the ingredients in or mix them around?
Do I put it on low the entire time?
Thanks!

Layer and that's it. Keep on low 20-24 hours. Don't cook longer.

cnc

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 11:28 am
I also find that when I make a crockpot dinner the food acquires a chemical sort of taste .
I wonder if it's my specific crockpot.

tichellady

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 11:35 am
I make very good cholent. I cook it in low on Friday and then keep warm over Shabbat. I make pretty good soups like mushroom barley or black bean and do the low: keep warm method.

tichellady

Post Thu, Feb 11 2016, 11:37 am
Raisin wrote:
pureed vegetable soup (I make carrot usually) doesn't taste so different.

How do you do that? When do you purée it and do you cook it on low or keep warm?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus