Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
SAHM - can you really work too??
Previous  1  2

Ruchel

Post Fri, Feb 12 2016, 9:46 am
Easier if alone, harder with a client that you can't tell "wait, in one hour". But some ages are doable especially if baby proof room.

kollel wife

Post Fri, Feb 12 2016, 10:01 am
I know you really want to do office type of work, but money-wise would it worth it babysit for a few children your child's age - he'd be busier and you'd be making some income.

twogees

Post Fri, Feb 12 2016, 10:33 am
I am a sahm who is babysitting to bring in income. maybe see if even for 2-3 hrs a day it could be a possibility for a few friends to run errands with out their kids to start with?

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Feb 12 2016, 11:28 am
Wow - you all are very helpful - thank you! I'm thinking about the playgroup/babysitting option... So can you tell me, if a friend proposed this idea to you, what would you want...

What hours?
What would you look for?
What would be most important to you?
How much would you pay?
And anything else you want to add.

If it helps, I live in one of the main Los Angeles communities where there are several playgroups already.

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Feb 12 2016, 2:12 pm
amother wrote:
Wow - you all are very helpful - thank you! I'm thinking about the playgroup/babysitting option... So can you tell me, if a friend proposed this idea to you, what would you want...

What hours?
What would you look for?
What would be most important to you?
How much would you pay?
And anything else you want to add.

If it helps, I live in one of the main Los Angeles communities where there are several playgroups already.

I live in LA too.
I would like the odd hours- drop off before 9 and pickup after 3:30. How can I go to work if I have to be at work at 8 or 8:30? And there until 5?
Normal schedule- none of this "Toras Emes etc has off so we are not having babysitting this week". So hard to find a place for DC when this happens.
Definitely CPR certified, legal setup. No 14 kids in a tiny room and no baby gates etc.

I know. I am dreaming... But you asked!

MMCH

Post Fri, Feb 12 2016, 3:37 pm
I think the reason ppl aren't really responding is because I think its kinda rare to find good working at home schedule!

I would LOVE to work from home. my life would be much simpler, but the jobs I looked into that made sense (secretarial, data entry) the pay was ridiculously cheap and tbh once my kids turn 1 years old, they really want me with them at all times, playing on the floor interacting, and constant attention....

I bit the bullet and just went back to work as a teacher, which I was doing previously.

as far as drop off babysitting, my ideal? to start before 8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'I live in NY , where most of them open up at 8- and have late hours in the afternoon.

also,cleanliness and safety are of most importance. oh , and dont nap my 2 year old for 3 hours from 1-4 becuase it convenient for you. BTDT- never going back to that place again.

shooting star

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 3:13 pm
I work for a small company in the HealthIT industry that operates mostly virtually (so I can work from home. I've worked through the pregnancy and birth of two children. One is now 2.5 and the other is 10 months.

The only time this has worked well is when I've had a full-time nanny to watch the kids. Part-time help was too expensive as in my area as they would typically charge more per hour.

Because I'm a contract worker instead of an actual employee I have more flexibility with my hours (read: great for Shabbat and Yom Tovs). It's possible to find this if you look at smaller/start-up type companies trying to add staff but save money and reduce formal headcount. However, when I don't work, I don't get paid. There are no stat holidays, no sick days, and no vacation pay. I didn't pay into the government's mat leave program (its not great) so I didn't get that either. I went back to work at least in a part time capacity only weeks after giving birth both times. I do, however, get to write off some of my home office expenses.

Overall, a very large percentage of my income goes to childcare but at least I don't have any gaps in my resume and that's a huge bonus for a corporate type career.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 5:32 pm
I worked with one. When I had my 2nd 18 months later I had to stop or hire a babysitter. I decided after the babysitter I wouldn't make enough and so I stopped.

I was a very good recruiter.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 7:25 pm
Hi. This is OP. Thanks for reviving this old thread as I still haven't found a good work option. I started watching a friend's DC a few hours a week to see if I want to make a playgroup. I really can't think of much else I can do with DC underfoot - I find it almost impossible to do anything with him unless it's an age appropriate activity for him... Today I almost lost it trying to manage my housekeeper, men working on the house, dental insurance and shopping at target and trader joes. He goes nuts if he doesn't have my full attention, and I don't want to work just to pay someone to care for him.

dancingqueen

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 7:34 pm
amother wrote:
Hi. This is OP. Thanks for reviving this old thread as I still haven't found a good work option. I started watching a friend's DC a few hours a week to see if I want to make a playgroup. I really can't think of much else I can do with DC underfoot - I find it almost impossible to do anything with him unless it's an age appropriate activity for him... Today I almost lost it trying to manage my housekeeper, men working on the house, dental insurance and shopping at target and trader joes. He goes nuts if he doesn't have my full attention, and I don't want to work just to pay someone to care for him.

That doesn't sound like a very fun day for a 2 year old tbh. Can you send him to a part time playgroup or can your housekeeper watch him sometimes while you work or do errands?

Helani

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 9:38 pm
If you are home with one child and not tied to carpools, you could create a business doing drop off childcare especially with hours that are not traditional. There are always mothers who have appointments/need to go shopping/etc and don't have regular child care. Or working parents whose babysitter calls in sick. You can charge a bit more than the going rate for this type of service.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 9:42 pm
OP here. To the poster above - no, it was not a fun day for DS, nor was it for me. However, today was not a typical day - typically my day revolves around being a mom to him. I don't usually pack this much "business stuff" into a day with DC. I'm actually a very active mom with him - most days I get little "work" done and lots of quality time with DC.

I don't send him to playgroup because we can't afford it now and I do really enjoy being a mom. I know he needs social time with other kids his age so I watch a friends DD who is his age once a week, we do mommy me classes and do lots of play at park/museums/library, etc.

I want to make a little money because we need it. But I want to do something that won't require me to have to then pay for childcare.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 9:51 pm
Op here. To the poster above (or anyone else) who suggested "drop-off childcare" - that's a good potential idea. A few questions...

1) Would I have to set specific hours when I'm always available or would people call and schedule a time in advance (like babysitting)?
2) How much would is you pay an hour for this?
3) What are good hours?
4) anything else to consider?

amother
Amber

Post Wed, May 04 2016, 11:02 pm
My sister does something that u might consider. She has 3 friends, all live very close by with about same age kids. What they do is as follows: each mother gets a different day to be the morah of this mini Playgroup. So let's say u do every Monday, and the rest of the week u are free to either be a sahm or work. Whatever... And u don't need to pay for the Playgroup...

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, May 05 2016, 5:37 pm
amother wrote:
Op here. To the poster above (or anyone else) who suggested "drop-off childcare" - that's a good potential idea. A few questions...

1) Would I have to set specific hours when I'm always available or would people call and schedule a time in advance (like babysitting)?
2) How much would is you pay an hour for this?
3) What are good hours?
4) anything else to consider?

I run a similar business and charge $2 above the going rate in my town (comes out to $8/h, $6 for second child). My hours are set because not only I have two kids at home with me, but I also have five in school and have to deal with carpools and various appointments. I am not always available within set hours if I have other things going on. But if somebody calls me five minutes before and I am available I will take them. It's up to you if you want to leave your hours open or you need a bit more structure.
One thing you have to realize is that your house always needs to be in good shape by the morning if you're willing to accomodate last minute clients. But there is definitely a large demand once people find out.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers