Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Asking for tips for an enjoyable Shabbat meal with children

QT26

Post Sat, Feb 13 2016, 1:54 pm
Hello,
My husband and I are having a hard time leading an enjoyable Shabbat meal with our children, ages 12 and down. Having regular guests is not an option. We've tried games, stories, letting each kid share... But mostly what works for one doesn't work for the other, and we end up with at least one unhappy child. I'd love to hear what worked for different families.
Thanks!

OutATowner

Post Sat, Feb 13 2016, 5:42 pm
We ask parsha questions and give out Mike and Ikes or jelly beans for answers or any kind of participation. We also have our special songs that the kids know and sing along loudly. Younger kids sit on my husband's lap and he bounces them while they sing.

SingALong

Post Sat, Feb 13 2016, 7:47 pm
For those with peaceful Shabbos meals, how do you do the seating? Dh would like me next to him but then my kids want to sit next to me so they all fight over who sits where...and the little ones need help eating...our meals are chaotic.

I can't believe you have enough quiet for games and stories we can barely hear ourselves think. On a good day Dh asks parsha questions and dvar Torah from the kids what they learned in school.

Moonlight

Post Sat, Feb 13 2016, 8:13 pm
We also do parsha questions with jelly beans. We give turns starting with the youngest and if they don't know the answer it goes up a sibling. We also have singing candies for whoever tries to sing along or (depending on age) stays in their seat for the song.
We also read from a children's pasha book at both meals.
Regarding seats , each kid has a set spot for all meals.
If they're really not sitting/behaving, they are free to leave the table and relax in the next room but know that I am not available to help them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics