Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Challah recipe adjustment pls

mummyto2

Post Mon, Feb 15 2016, 8:31 am
Hi.. I made the recipe below and it came out gr8...problem is it isn't nearly enough to take challah with bracha..anyone know how to adjust the recipe so I can get the mtizvah?

2 tsp instant dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
3 plus 1/4 cup white flour (or a mix of whole wheat and white)
2 large eggs
2 egg whites
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp oil
3 Tbsp honey
1/4 cup applesauce
Sesame or poppy seeds

1. In a large bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup warm water, 1/4 cup flour, and the yeast. Let sit 10-20 minutes until it puffs up slightly.

2. Add in the eggs, ONE of the egg whites, the salt, the oil, the honey, and the applesauce. Whisk together until well mixed.

3. Dump in the three remaining cups of flour all at once. Mix with a wooden spoon until you can't stir any more, then knead by hand. (I knead right in the bowl-- no mess!) Knead for about 5 minutes. Cover with a damp towel and let rise for two hours in a warm spot, until doubled in size.**

4. Punch down the dough. Divide into two pieces if you want to make two big challahs, or 12 if you want to make 12 2-serving mini-challahs. Then, divide each piece into three strands and braid these strands together. (If you want the challah to have a nice shape, make the strands fatter in the middle and thinner on the ends.) Set the braids on an oiled cookie sheet or a non-oiled sheet covered in parchment paper, and let rise again until doubled in size.

5. Brush the tops of the loaves with the remaining egg white and sprinkle with the sesame or poppy seeds. Bake at 350 degrees (175 C) for 20 minutes, or until the loaves are browned. (If you like a moister loaf, take out at lightly browned.)

Enjoy! The loaves freeze well for over a month-- I make a big batch and serve a few each Friday night.

If you make 12 mini-loaves, makes 24 half-loaf servings. If you make two big loaves, cut each loaf into 12 slices.

mummyto2

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 10:32 am
bump

Faigy86

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 10:39 am
Do you have Spice and Spirit? (the big purple Lubavitch cookbook) I don't have it with me, but in the front section it has all the measurements of when to take challah with/without a bracha.
Simply multiply the recipe until you hit the desired target, if my memory serves correctly, it is somewhere around 13 c unsifted.

lkwdlady

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 1:31 pm
wow ... I never saw a recipe with so little flour and oil. I notice there are no egg whites either. What is the texture of these challos? Would you recommend this recipe? Sorry, I'm not sure about the hafroshas challah but I'll tell you what someone once told me when I complained that I was baking a small batch and too bad I couldn't get the mitzvah. She said "you are getting a differnt mitzvah. You are baking for your family to enjoy."

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 1:40 pm
What a complicated recipe. Want my insanely good one bowl wonder? I can do it in small or big amounts.

If you want this one to be enough for challah with a Bracha and you don't already have an established tradition, multiply it all by 6 x. There are various traditions for challah with a Bracha and multiplying this recipe by six will accommodate the highest number.

mummyto2

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 1:46 pm
I multiply all the ingredients by six?
and yes this recipe is delicious and super low calorie.... about 160 calories per challah roll.

mummyto2

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 1:47 pm
andrea levy -- forgot to say thank u.... also I would love ur one pot wonder recipe Smile

Seas

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 1:53 pm
From much trial and error I've found the best challa recipes to be the simple ones. Also I use a digital scale for everything, thus avoiding having to clean teaspoons and cups etc.

Another tip, metric measurements are sooo much easier to multiply and half than imperial.

And one more thing, use the strongest bread flour you can get (the higher the protein content the better). Canadian is usually best.

My absolutely delicious recipe is:

X grams of flour.

55% of that weight in liquid.

So for example for 1kg flour I'd use 550g liquid. Part of that liquid would be an egg, some oil (typically around 40-60g), white vinegar (15-30g) and the rest water.

For each kg of flour I put about 20g salt, 60-80g sugar and 10-11g dried yeast.

Knead very well (at least 15 min), allow to rise for a few hours, shape challos and let rise in warm oven (on very low heat - about 120 degrees) until well risen.

Egg, sprinkle the toppings (I use sesame and poppy) and bake in preheated oven (about 390) until ready - anything from 20 min, depending on the size of the challos.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 3:07 pm
mummyto2 wrote:
and yes this recipe is delicious and super low calorie.... about 160 calories per challah roll.

Yes, that's what I would do- although let me think about the salt for s second...

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 3:25 pm
mummyto2 wrote:

Yes by six. The salt will still be perfect. By the way, you don't need to wait to activate the yeast when it is instant. You just let it get wet and mix!

My one bowl wonder: in this order

4 tbsp instant yeast
1 cup sugar
1 cup oil
4 cups soy milk warm
2 cups warm wAter
18 cups flour or 2900 grams
4 eggs
3 tbsp salt

Make as you would normal challah

Thinking about the salt in your recipe, I'd use 3 tbsp also when multiplying!

SorGold

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 3:46 pm
I believe 5 pounds is about 16 cups. You could probably multiply everything by 5. 12 eggs plus 6 whites just seems like alot for 5 pounds of flour.

mummyto2

Post Wed, Feb 17 2016, 11:06 am
andrea levy... ur recipe looks delicious....wondering if I could sub honey for sugar and applesauce for the oil (are they 1-to-1 substitutions?)....and if I wanted to use whole wheat flour how would I make that substitution?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads