Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Sugar free desserts

amother52

Post Mon, Feb 15 2016, 1:59 pm
I am hosting my in laws for shabbos and my father-in-law was just told that he has diabetes. He's off sugar and white flour now. Any ideas for dessert that is nice enough to serve my in laws but sugar free?

iriska_meller

Post Mon, Feb 15 2016, 2:47 pm
Berries, jello, sugar free ice cream, Popsicles, watermelon.
Also have non starchy vegetables as option during main meal, as opposed to rice/pasta/potatoes/couscous...

sky

Post Mon, Feb 15 2016, 3:20 pm
sugar free jello. Layer 2 colors in a pretty cup.
(I like using tea flavored water for a better taste)

busymom

Post Mon, Feb 15 2016, 3:55 pm
I love a fruit salad for dessert. Great to have something light at the end of a meal. A guest of mine once cut up a salad of green/red apples, pineapple, and oranges - mango and kiwi are optional additions - dressed with a splash of apple juice and bit of vanilla sugar, which you can probably skip. Delicious.

Raw

Post Mon, Feb 15 2016, 4:09 pm
Are you sure fructose is ok? It's also a good idea to avoid the sugar free desserts that have aspartame and other fake sugars.

Some very dark chocolate can be good. You can look online for simple, 2 or 3 ingredient chocolates to make.

Berries are low sugar as far as fruit goes so perhaps a mixed berry fruit salad.

sky

Post Mon, Feb 15 2016, 8:10 pm
Cortland apples sprinkled with cinnamon, baked covered until they start falling apart.

booboomom

Post Mon, Feb 15 2016, 8:19 pm
All the fruit is not good for diabetics. Though I hate recommending sugar free items, I think that's the route to go. There are a great many sugar free ice creams and ices available. Taste first to make sure there is no distinct aftertaste.
You can make your own ices using kolatin, xylitol, and any flavoring you'd like. This way, there's no food coloring. Freeze on a sheet pan and then blend for smoother texture.

double u

Post Mon, Feb 15 2016, 9:04 pm
Find out abt fruits and sugar substitutes. I know they aren't good for diabetics. Maybe serve nuts for dessert....

rofa

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 1:22 am
google paleo desserts.
Coconut milk mousse and pumpkin pie in almond crust come to mind
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics