Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Neighbors hanging up nude pictures
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 8:47 pm
When my son was walking home from school he noticed that a neighbor on our block has a painting of a nude woman hanging in the living room. The shades were open and it was easy to see.
Besides for being upset and horrified that my little boy was exposed to this, is it appropriate to knock on the door and ask nicely if they can move the painting to another room that isn't visible from outside?
How can people do this? What if someone hung [filth] on their walls and everyone walking outside could see. At what point does this become illegal?

Maya

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 8:50 pm
It would be completely inappropriate for you to dictate to your neighbors where they can or cannot hang their art.

I'm sorry to say this, but your son is in the wrong here. Maybe this will teach him not to look into other people's homes?

dimyona

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 8:52 pm
There is no appropriate way to tell someone else what to do in their own home.

Nudity is a reality; was there something particularly disturbing about this image? While I could well understand why you may choose not hang it, there's really no reason to freak out about having your children exposed to human anatomy.

Nudity in artwork is not [filth] by an stretch. You can educate your son about why you don't consider it tzanua, but please do not approach your neighbors. It will do a lot more harm than good.

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 8:54 pm
While you're at it ask Florence to take down David's statue made by Michelangelo in the year 1501.

trixx

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 8:55 pm
You could (I think) let them know that it's visible from the street. In an "I'm not sure if you realize" way, and that your little boy saw it and you told him not to look into other people's windows from now on (even if you didn't). But only if it's not passive-aggressive, not holier-than-thou, and more of a "just so you know, the whole street can see into your living room when your curatins are open" kind of way. I would want to know (if I didn't realize already), although I would keep the painting there on purpose to spite you for mixing in.

Maya

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 9:02 pm
trixx wrote:
You could (I think) let them know that it's visible from the street. In an "I'm not sure if you realize" way, and that your little boy saw it and you told him not to look into other people's windows from now on (even if you didn't). But only if it's not passive-aggressive, not holier-than-thou, and more of a "just so you know, the whole street can see into your living room when your curatins are open" kind of way. I would want to know (if I didn't realize already), although I would keep the painting there on purpose to spite you for mixing in.

Even if they don't realize that it's visible from the street - which I would find hard to believe - why should they care if passers-by have an issue with it?

dimyona

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 9:04 pm
Maya wrote:
Even if they don't realize that it's visible from the street - which I would find hard to believe - why should they care if passers-by have an issue with it?

Exactly. It's hanging in their foyer/living room, so it's already in semi-public view.

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 9:15 pm
trixx wrote:
although I would keep the painting there on purpose to spite you for mixing in.

yeah so would I Twisted Evil

justcallmeima

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 10:03 pm
amother wrote:
When my son was walking home from school he noticed that a neighbor on our block has a painting of a nude woman hanging in the living room. The shades were open and it was easy to see.
Besides for being upset and horrified that my little boy was exposed to this, is it appropriate to knock on the door and ask nicely if they can move the painting to another room that isn't visible from outside?
How can people do this? What if someone hung [filth] on their walls and everyone walking outside could see. At what point does this become illegal?

This is a joke, right?

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 10:21 pm
no its not a joke, and I am feeling very much unheard.

Are you telling me that I have no reason to be annoyed? its perfectly fine for little boys to be exposed to naked pictures of women EVERY FREAKING DAY on the way back and forth from school?

there is another house in my neighborhood where pictures of actual [filth] are hung on the walls, and with the shades open and lights on and dark out, its inevitable that one day a kid of mine will notice. so far they havent, but I am upset that you cannot understand that this is at the very least unethical.
isnt there a law against exposing kids to [filth]?

is there noone that gets what I am saying?

Maya

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 10:27 pm
We get what youre saying (besides for the "actual" [filth] that's hanging on the walls, I don't know what that means). We're just saying that you have no right to tell your neighbors where they can hang their art, even if it bothers you.

Look at it as a good opportunity to educate your son about the issues you feel are involved here.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 10:31 pm
amother wrote:
no its not a joke, and I am feeling very much unheard.

Are you telling me that I have no reason to be annoyed? its perfectly fine for little boys to be exposed to naked pictures of women EVERY FREAKING DAY on the way back and forth from school?

there is another house in my neighborhood where pictures of actual [filth] are hung on the walls, and with the shades open and lights on and dark out, its inevitable that one day a kid of mine will notice. so far they havent, but I am upset that you cannot understand that this is at the very least unethical.
isnt there a law against exposing kids to [filth]?

is there noone that gets what I am saying?

which neighborhood do YOU live in??? [filth] on the walls?/ what does [filth] on the walls mean? as opposed to the nude paintings you were talking about earlier?!! I think you need to stop looking in other peoples windows and keep the fantasizing and wishful thinking down a bit

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 10:31 pm
You can send your neighbor a letter pretending to be a creepy guy who is enjoying the picture very much. I'm sure they will move the picture or shut the shades.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 10:35 pm
As far as the [filth], you can probably get them in trouble. It's illegal to expose kids to [filth].

happyone

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 10:38 pm
I would teach my child not to look into neighbors windows. Honestly , as much as it may bother you Noone has a right to dictate a neighbors interior choice of art. If it were outdoor that would be something else. You may want to considor moving to Williamsburg where worst case scenario you'll see a pic of a rebbe on the wall or a portrait of six matching girls with bows if you choose to peek into windows .Smile

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 10:47 pm
Tell a boy not to look at a picture of a naked woman in someone's house and he will never look in their window again?
Wow, that was easy!

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 10:48 pm
how is a picture of a naked woman with her breasts showing not [filth]?Scratching Head

I'm not talking about a picture where the breasts are covered by her arms.

on the same topic, why is it not illegal to go to the beach with no top? I have been told that on any beach in florida if a woman decides to sunbathe with her breasts showing she cannot be told to stop. it would only be illegal if she removed her bottom as well.
I was under the impression that everyone, not just frum jews, cares about exposing kids to nudity. isnt that why movies have ratings, and a movie with nudity in it would be rated as not appropriate for kids?

what is this world coming to?

PAMOM

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 10:50 pm
OP, what you consider [filth] may not legally meet the criteria. In fact, just a naked woman is most definitely NOT considered [filth]. If it was, there would be no museums in the world. And no, you can't be arrested for hanging [filthy] art in your house (unless it involved live underage models). There are firm legal doctrines about the sanctity of the home. As far as the naked woman on the wall, that's her choice and right.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 10:55 pm
amother wrote:
how is a picture of a naked woman with her breasts showing not [filth]?Scratching Head

I'm not talking about a picture where the breasts are covered by her arms.

on the same topic, why is it not illegal to go to the beach with no top? I have been told that on any beach in florida if a woman decides to sunbathe with her breasts showing she cannot be told to stop. it would only be illegal if she removed her bottom as well.
I was under the impression that everyone, not just frum jews, cares about exposing kids to nudity. isnt that why movies have ratings, and a movie with nudity in it would be rated as not appropriate for kids?

what is this world coming to?

I think you are a troll,

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Feb 16 2016, 10:57 pm
amother wrote:

You were misinformed.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette