Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Neighbors hanging up nude pictures
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 5:46 pm
We hang mezuzos on the outside of bedroom doors so as not to expose them (unless in double cover) to acts usually done in bedroom.

Though some posters here use the living room couch too. Which they probably ought to ask their Rabbi about. Who will ask, he or she?

doublemama

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 6:53 pm
I am so curious about this picture, I want to see it! Is it a woman's naked back, or someone posing like the Starbucks logo?? If it is hung in the living room I am going to assume it is one of those tasteful nudes, but it might not be!

For the record, I was taught long ago to keep my nose out of other people's windows. My sister learned this lesson the hard way at 12 by looking into a room and saw a man lounging au natural on his sofa. It was a shock. When she told my mother, she was told to keep her eyes out of other people homes and mind her own business. OP maybe you and your son can take this lesson to heart. You can't dictate what other people do in their own homes or how they keep their curtains, you can only train yourself not to look.

sequoia

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 6:58 pm
By the way, as a teen I was babysitting a little kid. We walked past a building with ground floor windows and he looked in each one. I said something about not looking in other people's windows and he gave me this shocked stare and replied, "My mom always looks in other people's windows! She says it's interesting! Are you saying she's doing something WRONG?" I was afraid I'd get fired so I mumbled something like of course not, I was just kidding.

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 8:21 pm
Raisin wrote:
a 15 year old boy might disagree.

Would you be ok with tastefully, beautifully taken pictures of your naked 12 year old daughter or sister or cousin or younger self falling into the hand of a paedophile?

Sometimes there is a fine line between art and soft [filth] and actual [filth].

While nude photos or art may not be considered actual [filth] I can't imagine people don't find them arousing.

Whoa! Nude pictures of a child are not the equivalent of a nude painting of an imaginary or even real adult. That's an innappropriate comparison.

I don't think that a standard 15 year old would find the painting arousing, but people are aroused by different things. I wouldn't knowingly expose someone else's frum child to nude artwork because I know it's not acceptable in society and I can respect that kind of purity, but still my parents are big art collectors and we grew up with some pretty raunchy artwork which is not raunchy at all IMO and in the opinion of those in the art world.

geulah papyrus

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 8:58 pm
Imagine this: someone looks in your window and sees your Jewish art and that person finds it offensive. Every day that person walks down your block and sees your picture of the rebbe/the kotel/random Jewish art and every day it makes that person cringe. Your picture isn't offensive, you think. In fact, it would never occur to you that your artwork might be offensive. To you, this art is a symbol of something important to you, it is a special piece that you took great pleasure in choosing and then in hanging in your living room.
One day, that person knocks at your door, visibly distressed yet polite. "That artwork--I can see it from the street. It's totally inappropriate and offensive to me. I'm off the derech and I don't want to be constantly reminded about Judaism. Can you please remove it or put it in a place where it can't be seen from the street? Or at the very least, find it in your heart to close your curtains!"
What would you do?

Amarante

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 9:13 pm
To put things in perspective - maybe - for years there was a house on Third Street near La Brea in Hancock Park (Los Angeles) which had 17 life size replicas of Michelangelo's David Statue - perfectly legal and more of a curiosity than anything else to most people.

Many years ago, a Sheik bought an enormous mansion on Sunset Boulevard in Beverly Hills and erected numerous nude statues in top of the stone wall facing Sunset Boulevard which were anatomically correct and had the genitals painted. LOL

Last edited by Amarante on Thu, Feb 18 2016, 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

sleepybeauty

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 9:14 pm
Many people on this thread seem to feel that nude images are indeed respectable art. For those of you that feel this way, would you ever hang such a picture in your own living room? Why or why not?

LovetoLive

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 9:25 pm
There is a difference between offensive and shocking.
An offensive picture is up to individual interpretation.
A shocking picture is offering exposure to something that the person (in this case a child) has never before seen and will forever have the memory of this first exposure.

Shocking is a problem. Offensive is a different problem.

geulah papyrus

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 10:02 pm
sleepybeauty wrote:
Many people on this thread seem to feel that nude images are indeed respectable art. For those of you that feel this way, would you ever hang such a picture in your own living room? Why or why not?

I actually have a small replica of The Kiss (a sculpture by Rodin) on the bookshelf in my living room. So, yes, I would, if it was a piece that I liked. I would also be annoyed if someone was looking into my home and complaining that they didn't like what they saw.

sequoia

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 10:49 pm
sleepybeauty wrote:

I wouldn't hang it in my living room because others may be shocked or offended. I'd hang it in the bedroom.

Being sensitive to people's scruples doesn't mean you agree with them.

LittleDucky

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 11:58 pm
Just because I find it odd, and wouldn't hang it up, does not mean it isn't art. And it does not mean it is wrong for someone else to hang it up. I went somewhere once and the entire house (that I could see) was in a cow (IIRC) motif. Complete with stuffed ones. Totally odd but someone apparently liked it. What if I was a vegan/vegetarian? Do I have a right to ask them to take it down? But It offends my sensibilities!

Keep your nose out of others houses. Teach your kids the same. But this issue comes up more than just here on imamother....

mommyla

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 12:13 am
Amarante wrote:
To put things in perspective - maybe - for years there was a house on Third Street near La Brea in Hancock Park (Los Angeles) which had 17 life size replicas of Michelangelo's David Statue - perfectly legal and more of a curiosity than anything else to most people.

"Was"?? Did they take down those statues? Every Xmas the owner puts Santa hats on all the Davids Very Happy

zaq

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 4:09 pm
amother wrote:
You were misinformed.

I can't speak for FL beaches, but in the great State of NY it is legal for a woman to expose her bosom in public. (A fine example of misled feminists carrying the usually good idea of equality of the sexes too far. Because men have the right to be bare-chested in public, ergo militant feminists insisted that women should have the same right. What they should have fought for was making it illegal for men to display their bare pecs in public, which would have made for gender equality without offending the sensibilities of the modest-minded public. But I digress.)

What is illegal is harrassing a bare-bosomed woman for being bare-bosomed, as is resting upon said bosom any part of one's person apart from one's eyes.

The Happy Wife

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 4:43 pm
zaq wrote:
I can't speak for FL beaches, but in the great State of NY it is legal for a woman to expose her bosom in public. (A fine example of misled feminists carrying the usually good idea of equality of the sexes too far. Because men have the right to be bare-chested in public, ergo militant feminists insisted that women should have the same right. What they should have fought for was making it illegal for men to display their bare pecs in public, which would have made for gender equality without offending the sensibilities of the modest-minded public. But I digress.)

What is illegal is harrassing a bare-bosomed woman for being bare-bosomed, as is resting upon said bosom any part of one's person apart from one's eyes.

It's not illegal to touch a male's chest, is it? I wonder why they don't keep pushing for equal rights. LOL
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette