Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Neighbors hanging up nude pictures
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

pooki

Post Wed, Feb 17 2016, 5:33 pm
Sorry but just because some "artist" decides to call a picture or statue of naked lady or man art does not mean that it's okay. I also always have wondered how society picks and chooses whats art and whats [filth]. I would support OP going over and nicely saying that the picture can be seen and its really not something you want your children to see. I think if its said in a nice respectful way then it will not be cause your neighbors to be upset. If they choose to ignore you then so be it. But who knows maybe just maybe they will be get it and be respectful of your wishes.
I would probably also have a conversation with my child about this not being the Jewish way, tznius and Ashreinu Mah Tov Chelkainu- how lucky we are to be yidden and have a Torah that guides us in a beautiful way.
GL!

sequoia

Post Wed, Feb 17 2016, 7:37 pm
Pooki, are you trolling? If not, that is the most adorable post ever. "Artist" in scare quotes! Every painter and sculptor in Western history has done nudes.

And I am so happy for all of you who don't know what actual [filth] is. Seriously.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Feb 17 2016, 7:48 pm
amother wrote:
My Rav agrees (right wing Yeshivish)
And I'm sure many others as well.
The first time I heard someone say you must get dressed while in bed or in the bathroom, I right away asked my Rav and was told we don't have to.

Please ask Rav for source

oliveoil

Post Wed, Feb 17 2016, 7:48 pm
This thread makes me see all the "my husband looks at [filth]" threads in a different light. Clearly, there are many who have no clue what [filth] actually is.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Feb 17 2016, 8:09 pm
So I don't understand. I am or am not supposedly allowed to walk though my private house buck naked.

Because I do, and I think it's fine to do so, but please tell me why it's not ok. Explain it to me like I'm 15.

tigerwife

Post Wed, Feb 17 2016, 8:11 pm
If nude art was [filth], most art museums would be illegal. I'm not in favor of it but let's not get carried away here.

OP, perfect time for a discussion about tznius and shmiras eynayim with your son. It would irk me too but I don't think you can be confrontational about it.

chavs

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 2:43 am
Yes, it gets very [filthy] in my house when I nurse both my kids! Breasts are definitely [filth] and is definitely ok to tell somebody what to do in their home!

watergirl

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 4:09 am
oliveoil wrote:
This thread makes me see all the "my husband looks at [filth]" threads in a different light. Clearly, there are many who have no clue what [filth] actually is.

Thats exactly what I was thinking.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 4:10 am
chavs wrote:
Yes, it gets very [filthy] in my house when I nurse both my kids! Breasts are definitely [filth] and is definitely ok to tell somebody what to do in their home!

Oh my gosh, you have KIDS? shock

You know what causes that, right? embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 4:45 am
amother wrote:
So I don't understand. I am or am not supposedly allowed to walk though my private house buck naked.

Because I do, and I think it's fine to do so, but please tell me why it's not ok. Explain it to me like I'm 15.

Depends if you believe G-D sees you, & is pleased.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 8:07 am
amother wrote:
Depends if you believe G-D sees you, & is pleased.

He did a good job, he's pleased.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 8:08 am
amother wrote:
Rolling Laughter

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 8:56 am
amother wrote:

He can see through clothes , but considers nonn-tzniut outside of bedroom & bathroom disrespectful

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 9:38 am
amother wrote:
He can see through clothes , but considers nonn-tzniut outside of bedroom & bathroom disrespectful

He told you so?

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 10:18 am
eema of 3 wrote:
He told you so?

@ har sinai

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 10:46 am
amother wrote:
@ har sinai

Please tell me where it says that I can't walk around in my house in pants and a tank top with my hair uncovered. Neither my Torah not my rav says that.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 10:48 am
amother wrote:
@ har sinai

I asked you to please explain this to me as though I were a child. If you're going to be snide, you might provide an actual hyperlink.

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 10:55 am
pooki wrote:
Sorry but just because some "artist" decides to call a picture or statue of naked lady or man art does not mean that it's okay.

[filth] is, "printed or visual material containing the explicit description or display of s-xual organs or activity, intended to stimulate [inappropriate] rather than aesthetic or emotional feelings."

Art is aesthetic. I personally have nude artwork. It's not z3xual.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 1:51 pm
amother wrote:

Ok, I do know that what you do is a valid opinion. I really do respect that you are always tznius outside of the bathroom and I'm sure that makes Hashem very happy.

I'm not on the level of being able to do that for many reasons. That's not something I grew up with. Maybe someday.

But I'm very happy to follow my Rav who says this is not required. And he's not the only one who holds this way.

I think we're derailing this post. If you're really curious about what others do, maybe start anther post and make a survey. You may be surprised to find that there's a whole world of frum Yidden who do things differently than you and that these are all valid halachic opinions.

Raisin

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 2:36 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
[filth] is, "printed or visual material containing the explicit description or display of s-xual organs or activity, intended to stimulate [inappropriate] rather than aesthetic or emotional feelings."

Art is aesthetic. I personally have nude artwork. It's not z3xual.

a 15 year old boy might disagree.

Would you be ok with tastefully, beautifully taken pictures of your naked 12 year old daughter or sister or cousin or younger self falling into the hand of a paedophile?

Sometimes there is a fine line between art and soft [filth] and actual [filth].

While nude photos or art may not be considered actual [filth] I can't imagine people don't find them arousing.
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette