Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Tofu - need dinner recipe asap

SRB

Post Wed, Feb 17 2016, 3:30 pm
Help... I have two packages of extra firm tofu and don't know what to do with it! I need a yummy recipe to serve my picky family. I think I will need to sauté, fry (not too much oil) or bake the tofu so it won't be so soft and "tofu" like. We all like a vegetarian Thai restaurant that serves mock beef/chicken made from soy, maybe something like this will work?

And good recipes out there? LOL

mha3484

Post Wed, Feb 17 2016, 3:35 pm
I was planning making tofu stir fry tonight. I press out as much water as I can, cut in cubes and cook in a super hot pan with whatever veg I have on had. I am going to try the geffen rice noodles with it.

I make this recipe all the time and often use the sauce with other ingredients besides eggplant. http://toriavey.com/toris-kitc.....lant/

goodmorning

Post Wed, Feb 17 2016, 3:57 pm
Tip for firming up tofu: cut the block of tofu into pieces of the size that you'd like, bring a pot of water to a simmer and then simmer the tofu pieces for about ten minutes. Remove, drain, dry, and use. This firms up the tofu a lot more than pressing.

I usually dump the cooked tofu into a large frying pan with a little bit of oil and pan-fry until brown on all sides. Then dump in some soy sauce, some honey and some garlic (or garlic powder). Cook for a few more minutes, stirring, until the tofu is coated with a sticky glaze.

I serve this with sesame noodles (hint: use the pot that you used to cook the tofu to cook the spaghetti in Smile) and as much as we like sesame noodles, everyone fights over the tofu instead. That's how good it is.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 17 2016, 5:03 pm
Mock meatballs are great. Sauté chopped onion and veggies. Drop into food processor along with pressed tofu, egg, breadcrumbs, a bit of flour if needed, season and taste as you go. Form into meatballs and bake for 20 minutes on cookie sheet. Drop into your favorite bubbling sauce and simmer 20 minutes.
Also crispy baked tofu to top a dish of spaghetti, vegetables, salad...
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....34384

sleepybeauty

Post Wed, Feb 17 2016, 5:14 pm
I made this last night:
http://minimalistbaker.com/tof.....-fry/
My husband loved it

SRB

Post Wed, Feb 17 2016, 5:27 pm
Yum - I'm hungry now after reading these suggestions. And thank you for the tip on how to make tofu firmer - I have never been able to get it really firm and crispy.

I just cooked the tofu in a frying pan then added a sauce with honey/soy sauce/Chinese five spice/ginger, then cooled it till thick. I'll serve it over a mix of wild rice and quinoa (something new I found at Costco), and salad.

We will see how this goes over tonight...

sleepybeauty

Post Wed, Feb 17 2016, 5:34 pm
What's Chinese five spice?

ez-pass

Post Wed, Feb 17 2016, 6:15 pm
I saute an onion and put in tofu and wtvr veggies I have and add some tamari soy sauce. My kids LOVE LOVE LOVE this.

SRB

Post Wed, Feb 17 2016, 10:01 pm
"Chinese Five Spice" is a blend of...
Cinnamon
Cloves
Fennel seed
Peppercorns
Star anise

I didn't use peppercorns or fennel seed.

Dinner was yummy and something different. Thank you ladies for coming to the rescue! I'll have to try some of your recipes another time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals