Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Nephew's wedding

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Feb 18 2016, 7:47 pm
I'm a 30 year-old aunt of the chosson. What do I wear to the wedding? What's the current style? Long dress? Short dress? 2 pc? Sleeveless dress and shell?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sat, Feb 20 2016, 8:32 pm
OP here, any ideas? the wedding is likely going to be after pesach. I'm guessing a brown "jumper-style" gown that I wore to a different close-family member's wedding won't work. Of course we're going to be TTC soon, so it might be too early to find a dress right now anyway.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 3:07 pm
OP here, any ideas? What do "young aunts" wear to nephew's weddings? Do you wear your standard chasuna outfit? Get something new? Do you go along with the "colors"? I'm not a standard size (x-large w/ larger bust and shoulders) so I find it hard to find something that fits. What should I do? Don't have a lot of money

pause

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 3:14 pm
Depends a lot on your family.
In some families, aunts dress almost like siblings with long dresses/ballgown skirts. In other families, aunts dress like any other close relative with a fancy chasuna outfit or dress.

If you're the only aunt, YOU get to decide how you want to dress.

youngishbear

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 3:18 pm
I think the ultra fancy dresses are for the first niece/nephew or two. Eventually everyone settles into their LBDs. Where is this nephew in the family, and as Pause asked, how many aunts are there?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 3:25 pm
This is my oldest nephew, not the first nephew on SIL's side,

For a fall/winter wedding I would feel more comfortable with my standard, black--or even this brown "gown" that I had made.

Not sure what to do for a Spring wedding.

On the one hand I feel like I should wear something special, on the other hand, not sure what's affordable for me right now.

cm

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 3:27 pm
I'm a somewhat older aunt. Regular wedding-guest clothing for me.

If the couple wants you to wear their colors, they will let you know. Remember that you will be in the pictures, so something that fits and is flattering is more important than matching the wedding colors, if you have options, especially considering your fit issues.

pause

Post Sun, Mar 27 2016, 3:33 pm
amother wrote:
This is my oldest nephew, not the first nephew on SIL's side,

For a fall/winter wedding I would feel more comfortable with my standard, black--or even this brown "gown" that I had made.

Not sure what to do for a Spring wedding.

On the one hand I feel like I should wear something special, on the other hand, not sure what's affordable for me right now.

It doesn't matter what number he is on the other side. On your side, a first nephew's wedding is usually more major and thus the aunts do tend to dress more fancy. Are you the only aunt? If not, discuss with your sisters/sisters-in-law if you'll all wear long or short. I think that's the most obvious difference in elegance.
If you are the only married aunt, you can do as you please. Really. Even black. Although color is now in and I personally hate black, but you can do elegant youngish-looking black. I see it all the time.

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Mar 28 2016, 8:34 am
Where are you locateD?
For example in Israel and the UK and other places I find many aunts just wear a fancy version of a shabos outfit. Suit/short dress etc but nice.
In USA some families the aunts wear long gowns and others they wear fancy short gowns. It really is your choice.
For spring go with fun light colors, corals/pastels.
You can get very fancy short dresses but imo it is annoying because then you need to find equally fancy matching shoes.
What is your budget perhaps we can recommend some places to look...

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Mar 28 2016, 8:44 pm
OP here, So far I'm thinking of this dress
A-line tea-length--probably in the pink/champagne family.

Or this, but I realize that the neckline would be tricky to deal with.
http://www.lightinthebox.com/s.....2.1.0

I've gotten something from LIB before and I was happy--but it won't work for this wedding.

That's probably my budget anyway. Its just so hard to know how the dress will look without seeing someone "my size" wearing it.

pause

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 6:43 am
amother wrote:
OP here, So far I'm thinking of this dress
A-line tea-length--probably in the pink/champagne family.

Or this, but I realize that the neckline would be tricky to deal with.
http://www.lightinthebox.com/s.....2.1.0

I've gotten something from LIB before and I was happy--but it won't work for this wedding.

That's probably my budget anyway. Its just so hard to know how the dress will look without seeing someone "my size" wearing it.

I love the first one. It's beautiful! And I think it could look very good on someone who is proportionately bigger on top.

kollel wife

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 7:04 am
Wow - that dress is beautiful - I have most of my extra weight at the waist line - would you say this dress would be a poor choice?

I've never bought from this site before - if they are custom making a size or color - do they allow returns?

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Mar 29 2016, 7:35 am
I like the first dress much better. Read their returns policy I don't think it is very good though.
WIth a nice pair of shoes, makeup and your wig done nicely you will fit right in as Aunt of the groom Smile

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Mar 31 2016, 6:33 am
OP here,
thanks.

Some other possibilities:
http://www.fabbeautydress.com/.....cture

miami85

Post Thu, Mar 31 2016, 6:43 am
kollel wife wrote:
Wow - that dress is beautiful - I have most of my extra weight at the waist line - would you say this dress would be a poor choice?

I've never bought from this site before - if they are custom making a size or color - do they allow returns?

Dont know about returns, but I did get a sleeveless dress from them and it needed taking in in one the shoulders so I took pictures of the necessary repair and the receipt of the tailor andthey refunded the repair. Otherwise the dress was great

pause

Post Thu, Mar 31 2016, 8:06 am
amother wrote:
OP here,
thanks.

Some other possibilities:

I like the first two. I think the second one is nicer than the first but you'll probably get more long-term usage out of the first.

markmywords

Post Thu, Mar 31 2016, 4:59 pm
I've seen aunts wearing floor length fancy gowns and it does not look out of place.
I think people notice what is well fitted more then how fancy when it comes to close family.
I would consider how fancy the wedding is overall. You can sometimes anticipate based on the crowd being invited.
Of the first two choices, I found the red more "casual" and on the level of a guest. More practical and can fit anything. The blue is significantly dressier. I'm a fan of blue and really liked that dress. Maybe you could hem it to tea length and use the material to make a dickie?
Of the last three options, I like the second and third more than the first.
I'd also consider what the mother's of the bride and groom are wearing (if you have an idea). You don't want to compete. I think tea length dressy is the safest bet if you're unsure.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Mar 31 2016, 5:18 pm
Go to Macys and get yourself a dress in any color and style you feel beautiful in.
Last year for my nieces wedding I bought a long tiered jumper dress (sz 18) for $36 on sale plus I had 20% off, something that Macy's always gives.
It cost me $35 to get the hem done. Basic color had the perfect shell for $10.
Most important YOU should feel beautiful in the dress.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sat, Apr 02 2016, 7:30 pm
amother wrote:
Go to Macys and get yourself a dress in any color and style you feel beautiful in.
Last year for my nieces wedding I bought a long tiered jumper dress (sz 18) for $36 on sale plus I had 20% off, something that Macy's always gives.
It cost me $35 to get the hem done. Basic color had the perfect shell for $10.
Most important YOU should feel beautiful in the dress.

OP here, the problem is that I'm not an "off-the-rack" size and while for most events I "make-do" it always looks to big in some places and too small in others, Also Macy's tends to be more like 150+for a dress--I looked online, here is much more in my budget and I can customize the color. Also, I don;t have time to go shopping. I think I'm going to do the "champagne" color to more or less fit in with the color scheme.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics