Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Moccasin/Loafer Shoe Trend - why schools demand them?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 11:21 am
Inspired by a recent thread about Ventiennis, a few people posted, including me (I was gray amother there), that they are terrible for your kids feet, no matter how expertly you think they had been fit, sneakers are still much better for growing feet.

So can someone please tell me what lesson we are giving our kids when we allow a school to dictate to us what style shoe to dress them in? My kids school doesn't allow sneakers. I'm letting them teach my kids that style is more important than health? Why, as parents, do we allow our schools to dictate to us they style shoe we use? They can dictate the other stuff until they are blue in the face, but this particular thing impacts my kids bone structure. Why can they do this?

littleprincess

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 11:23 am
There are plenty comfortable school shoes. Marry Jane's or shoes with laces. I don't buy loafers for dd.
Right now she has beautiful geox shoes with laces. Theyre very strong and comfortable.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 11:25 am
Schools MANDATE loafers? I couldn't wear them, even with cookies (inserts) in my shoes because of flat feet and narrow ankles.

cm

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 11:27 am
Are there schools that require loafers or moccasins? That seems extreme.

tigerwife

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 11:29 am
Did you explain to the school that your daughter needs to wear sneakers, as they are more comfortable for her?

They probably just want to avoid super trendy sneakers. I can't imagine they would deny a student comfortable, practical sneakers.

bigsis144

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 11:30 am
Sneakers = sports (*GASP* OH, HORRORS!!!! Also, the kids don't really ever play sports, so sneakers are unnecessary.)

and

Sneakers = not as fancy as loafers/slip-ons, and we have to look "dignified".

For boys, especially, I know that sneaker styles can be a major deal fashion-wise (even if I personally think popular styles are ugly as all get out), and the schools don't want the boys to care about trends and go to the mall and "look like the non jews".

I see it as being in the same family as "no denim". No religious basis, just a misguided preoccupation with being "fancy" and "not like the non jews".

But these are DS's school shoes: They are technically sneakers, but are "calm" enough that I pray the school will just leave them alone.

Don't know what I would do if I had a daughter or if DS had more fashion opinions, but for now it works.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 11:34 am
Honestly agree with the OP - none of these meshugasim existed when I was growing up (or should I say, WHERE I was growing up). We wore whatever our mothers bought us. Sneakers, loafers, saddle shoes, oxfords, Mary Janes, etc....

I feel like our schools are becoming preppy. I don't see the Chinuch value at all.

sky

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 11:34 am
Neither of my children's schools have a no sneaker rule.

What type of school's have such rules? I have heard of schools that do not allow boots in the classroom, but never sneakers.

(My son's school does have a color rule about a certain age, but no limit on the type of shoe in any grade)

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 11:38 am
littleprincess wrote:
There are plenty comfortable school shoes. Marry Jane's or shoes with laces. I don't buy loafers for dd.
Right now she has beautiful geox shoes with laces. Theyre very strong and comfortable.

Mary Janes have the same issue. Sneakers are meant for all day where. Mary Janes are such are meant for occasional use.

Strong and comfortable have nothing to do with health for growing feet. Schools need to allow sneakers for those of us who wish.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 11:41 am
amother wrote:
Mary Janes have the same issue. Sneakers are meant for all day where. Mary Janes are such are meant for occasional use.

Strong and comfortable have nothing to do with health for growing feet. Schools need to allow sneakers for those of us who wish.

There are different types of Mary Janes. I've had some for my kids where the back comes up higher and gives more support, along with the strap being wider...those hold the foot pretty well and tend to be quite comfortable. Of course, my girls wouldn't wear them past like first grade or so....

happybeingamom

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 11:43 am
Some schools do not allow sneakers but there are many other type of shoes that are just as good for the feet as sneakers (some sneakers give no support). I prefer my child to be in a leather lined shoe then synthetic all day, I think that is better for the feet.

Faigy86

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 11:45 am
I attended a school that had a 'no sneaker except for in gym class' rule.
I think it was to create a more formal environment.

cm

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 11:51 am
OK, is this about requiring slip-on shoes or disallowing sneakers?

Requiring slip-on shoes is nuts. Many kids will not be able to find shoes that fit properly. I do not know of any school with this rule, but who knows.

Disallowing sneakers is something else. There are plenty of non-sneaker options (all shoes, basically).

About Mary Janes: the name may be used to describe any shoe with a strap and closed toe (not sandals), not just dress-up shoes for occasional wear. There are sturdy, supportive school shoes in this style that were very popular in my daughter's class.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 11:59 am
Faigy86 wrote:
I attended a school that had a 'no sneaker except for in gym class' rule.
I think it was to create a more formal environment.

Obviously thats why. And that exactly my point! Its style over function and health. And its not ok.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 12:03 pm
cm wrote:
OK, is this about requiring slip-on shoes or disallowing sneakers?

Requiring slip-on shoes is nuts. Many kids will not be able to find shoes that fit properly. I do not know of any school with this rule, but who knows.

Disallowing sneakers is something else. There are plenty of non-sneaker options (all shoes, basically).

About Mary Janes: the name may be used to describe any shoe with a strap and closed toe (not sandals), not just dress-up shoes for occasional wear. There are sturdy, supportive school shoes in this style that were very popular in my daughter's class.

Its about not allowing sneakers AND telling me what kind of shoe to buy or not buy.

cm

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 12:03 pm
amother wrote:
Obviously thats why. And that exactly my point! Its style over function and health. And its not ok.

There are plenty of shoes for children that are suitable. Ask your pediatrician.

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 12:04 pm
A slight detour from the topic, but someone mentioned to me that there are schools that don't allow mothers to do carpool in tichels or sneakers. I had a problem with my feet hurting a few years back, to a degree that I could only walk holding on to the stroller. The podiatrist recommended that I wear only sneakers or SAS shoes as a back up option. I am in sneakers 95% of the time and have one pair of SAS flats for Shabbos/dress-up. Not only that, but I can't choose the color of my sneakers...I need a specific fit and I get it in any color available.
I wonder if I would need a "heter" if my kids went to one of those schools. Smile
Also, by making kids follow fashion/rules and getting them used to not wearing the best shoes for comfort, they might eventually end up with foot issues (I definitely know more than one woman whose feet were ruined by wearing stylish footwear).

cm

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 12:05 pm
amother wrote:
Its about not allowing sneakers AND telling me what kind of shoe to buy or not buy.

I'm still confused. Disallowing sneakers is not the same thing as requiring loafers. You have all other shoe styles available.

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 12:06 pm
A slight detour from the topic, but someone mentioned to me that there are schools that don't allow mothers to do carpool in tichels or sneakers. I had a problem with my feet hurting a few years back, to a degree that I could only walk holding on to the stroller. The podiatrist recommended that I wear only sneakers or SAS shoes as a back up option. I am in sneakers 95% of the time and have one pair of SAS flats for Shabbos/dress-up. Not only that, but I can't choose the color of my sneakers...I need a specific fit and I get it in any color available.
I wonder if I would need a "heter" if my kids went to one of those schools. Smile
Also, by making kids follow fashion/rules and getting them used to not wearing the best shoes for comfort, they might eventually end up with foot issues (I definitely know more than one woman whose feet were ruined by wearing stylish footwear).

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 12:08 pm
cm wrote:
I'm still confused. Disallowing sneakers is not the same thing as requiring loafers. You have all other shoe styles available.

I'm sorry you are confused. My kids school has no right to tell me not to put her in sneakers. Forget the rest. As long as they are in good shape and not trendy, sneakers are whats best. Let me make the choice for my Own kid. I have seen those dumb ventiennis are way trendier than sneakers anyold day.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children