Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Moccasin/Loafer Shoe Trend - why schools demand them?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Simple1

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 12:09 pm
I don't know that sneakers are the best for the feet either.
From what I've heard about boys school some allow black sneakers, just nothing white or very noticeably like a sneaker.

And it's not a new thing. My high school had a strict no sneaker policy ...and that was a looong time ago.

sky

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 12:12 pm
amother wrote:
I'm sorry you are confused. My kids school has no right to tell me not to put her in sneakers. Forget the rest. As long as they are in good shape and not trendy, sneakers are whats best. Let me make the choice for my Own kid. I have seen those dumb ventiennis are way trendier than sneakers anyold day.

What is the right of school to make rules regarding:
Uniforms
Hair length
TV\Movies at home
Internet access
Etc.

its a private institution so they make any rules they want.

Faigy86

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 12:14 pm
amother wrote:
Obviously thats why. And that exactly my point! Its style over function and health. And its not ok.

But schools do it all the time. Have you asked the schools to provide ergonomic desks and chairs for your children? Sitting cross-legged is supposed to be bad for circulation, yet circle time, story-hour etc, is always done like that.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 12:16 pm
amother wrote:
A slight detour from the topic, but someone mentioned to me that there are schools that don't allow mothers to do carpool in tichels or sneakers. I had a problem with my feet hurting a few years back, to a degree that I could only walk holding on to the stroller. The podiatrist recommended that I wear only sneakers or SAS shoes as a back up option. I am in sneakers 95% of the time and have one pair of SAS flats for Shabbos/dress-up. Not only that, but I can't choose the color of my sneakers...I need a specific fit and I get it in any color available.
I wonder if I would need a "heter" if my kids went to one of those schools. Smile
Also, by making kids follow fashion/rules and getting them used to not wearing the best shoes for comfort, they might eventually end up with foot issues (I definitely know more than one woman whose feet were ruined by wearing stylish footwear).

Do you understand that this is not ok? Are they seriously stopping cars and peaking to see what shoes you are wearing during carpool? How would they even know? I cant stand this. This is not Yiddishkeit. This is not torah.

Simple1

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 12:18 pm
Also, it's generally not the schools that dictate the shoe trends. It's the parents and kids who demand certain styles and everyone wants to keep up.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 12:20 pm
sky wrote:
What is the right of school to make rules regarding:
Uniforms
Hair length
TV\Movies at home
Internet access
Etc.

its a private institution so they make any rules they want.

Do those things negatively effect the physical health of my child? Are those things restricted as a matter of STYLE? You are not making a proper comparison at all.

Faigy86

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 12:20 pm
amother wrote:
This is not Yiddishkeit. This is not torah.

Do they claim that it is? Or do they just want their school to have a certain look. You may not agree with it, but institutions do it all the time.

"No shoes, no shirt, no service" Same idea.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 12:21 pm
[quote="Faigy86"]Do they claim that it is? Or do they just want their school to have a certain look. You may not agree with it, but institutions do it all the time.

"No shoes, no shirt, no service" Same idea.[/quot

Yes, they claim it by inferring that this is the proper way for a bas yisroel to dress.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 12:24 pm
Faigy86 wrote:
But schools do it all the time. Have you asked the schools to provide ergonomic desks and chairs for your children? Sitting cross-legged is supposed to be bad for circulation, yet circle time, story-hour etc, is always done like that.

Are you not seeing the difference between asking the school to shell out $$$ and from prohibiting shoes? Ill bet if I feel that my kid needs an ergonomic chair, and I pay for it, they will allow. And I KNOW that if I tell them I want my kid in a chair for circle time for his circulation, they will allow it too.

You arent making appropriate arguments here.

sky

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 12:44 pm
amother wrote:
Are you not seeing the difference between asking the school to shell out $$$ and from prohibiting shoes? Ill bet if I feel that my kid needs an ergonomic chair, and I pay for it, they will allow. And I KNOW that if I tell them I want my kid in a chair for circle time for his circulation, they will allow it too.

You arent making appropriate arguments here.

And if you asked your child's school if they could wear a simple black sneaker for health reasons they would have an issue with it?

Faigy86

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 12:58 pm
I didn't know that it was a 'FACT' that sneakers are better for feet than shoes. True, many of the shoes that parents are willing to buy for their children are not good for feet, but that doesn't mean that it isn't possible to find shoes that are good.

sky wrote:
And if you asked your child's school if they could wear a simple black sneaker for health reasons they would have an issue with it?

If your child has a particular issue with footwear, you can always request an accommodation, just like any other issue.

nylon

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 1:29 pm
In England schools often say no trainers/sneakers as part of school uniform, it's not a Jewish thing at all. Kids have to wear plain black shoes. They can wear lace-up Oxfords, loafers, Mary Janes etc.

Loafers only is a different story. They slip off your feet.

NOW. For young children I am not in favor of such rules, I think that the dress code for under 5s should be looser and simpler since they are messy and do play based work. But for older children? There are many supportive shoes available. I have terrible feet and never wear sneakers. In fact Mary Jane style shoes from brands such as Clarks and Merrells are some of my favorites. With a flexible sole and an insert they are very comfortable.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 2:24 pm
I don't think that there are any school's that tell you that you could only wear loafers. My girl's ultra, chassidish, BP school's only rule regarding foot wear is 1)no sneakers.
No sneakers makes a lot of sense they don't want casual dress in school. I'm sure with out a doubt that if I would need my child to wear sneakers and I would send her in navy sneakers no one would have a problem with it.
I don't know where people got this idea that schools only allow Venettini shoes.
My daughter has these: http://www.landsend.com/produc.....::BLA
The reason most children have similar shoes is because that's what the neighborhood shoe stores sell and a lot of families in these neighborhoods do not shop online or in malls.

spring13

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 3:23 pm
I don't think any school requires loafers, it's completely on the mothers for creating this trend and then worshiping it to a genuinely unhealthy degree. There are GAJILLIONS of cute non-sneakers out there for people of all ages, but not for our precious kallah-maidels-in-training! They need to look refined! They need to look wealthier than they really are! They need to look like everyone else! The frum community created this horrible snowballing monster with these shoes that's representative of pretty much every other annoying materialistic antithetical-to-Torah-values schtick that plague our people today.

Be the change, imamothers. Be the change.

ChutzPAh

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 3:39 pm
sneakers and tights just don't look nice together , so even if it was allowed, how many girls would actually
Wear tights and sneakers?

cm

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 3:47 pm
ChutzPAh wrote:
sneakers and tights just don't look nice together , so even if it was allowed, how many girls would actually

Mine did. Most do. They look cute.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 5:00 pm
Faigy86 wrote:
I didn't know that it was a 'FACT' that sneakers are better for feet than shoes. True, many of the shoes that parents are willing to buy for their children are not good for feet, but that doesn't mean that it isn't possible to find shoes that are good.

If your child has a particular issue with footwear, you can always request an accommodation, just like any other issue.

Theres no "issue" that needs "accommodation". Wanting my dd to be allowed to wear a sneaker isnt a special need. The fact that you think it is, is proof that there is a bigger concern here.

groisamomma

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 5:02 pm
I don't think sneakers and tights look cute.

Bnos Bina in Lakewood called my BIL that SIL can't come to school dressed in sneakers. She didn't. She was out walking with a shaitel and regular outfut just with sneakers and stopped outsude the yard to pick up her kindergartner. Another parent called the admin to masser...

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 5:03 pm
ChutzPAh wrote:

Thats my op! People are choosing style over function and health! The school can not dictate to me to do something that I as a parent feel has a negative effect of her growing bones.

And Ill add this - so many of these schools allow non vaxed students!!! This is such a bizarre contradiction! Here is a gir who wants to be allowed to wear a sneaker (with out going to the school board for special permission!). Her shoes effect no one else. And they allow non vaxed kids!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Feb 19 2016, 5:04 pm
groisamomma wrote:
I don't think sneakers and tights look cute.

Bnos Bina in Lakewood called my BIL that SIL can't come to school dressed in sneakers. She didn't. She was out walking with a shaitel and regular outfut just with sneakers and stopped outsude the yard to pick up her kindergartner. Another parent called the admin to masser...

That makes me so angry!!!! See what happens when we make crazy rules like this? Now mommies are tattle tailing? Why???
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children