Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Do u think this is a reasonable amount?

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Feb 22 2016, 8:06 am
I host the minyan each week in my house. Somehow I was made in charge of the weekly kiddush as well. In the beginning we were very few families so most weeks were coming out if my pocket as only a few ppl were good about sponsoring it. I started the sponsorship at 50 dollars. Put neighborhood more than doubled and I uped it to 75 as its way more food now, and honestly it wasn't covering it before either. I heard thru someone that a couple ppl were upset and said it's too much. I make almost everything from scratch and I feel like when I did an about cheshbon for food it was like 50 and then I needed to do paper goods and drinks.this is what I serve....do u think I am out of line with sponsorship price? (Keep in mind...I do set up clean up and shopping each week for it as well)
Kugel...2 or 3 9×13 trays a week....I overnight so oven is on all shabbos as well. (Homeade )
Cholent....9 quart pot
Kishka...homeade
Herring I need 4 or 5 containers. ..they cost between 3 and 4 a container
Crackers. ..2 boxes of snacks
Popcorn...I make it myself to cut costs
Cake and cookies I buy and make it into platters I need 2 or 3 platters a shabbos.

Plus all papergood.....grape juice...water...seltzer.

I feel like 75 is fair even on the low end as the community is growing and we have guests as well and lots of times wayyyyy more ppl also.

That's basically just covering it. We have 30 families right now in the community.

alef12

Post Mon, Feb 22 2016, 8:59 am
$75 sounds very low for what you're describing. I'd say $150. Let someone else do all the work if they're not happy with the price!

ETA: Is $75 even covering your raw ingredients? Even if it is, if you're making the kugel/Chulent you should be charging something for your labor. When I buy a kugel for a kiddush it costs a lot more than the sum of the potatoes, onions and eggs!

aqua1

Post Mon, Feb 22 2016, 9:11 am
Why don't you have a list of prices per item for the kiddush, whoever is sponsoring that week can see what everything costs and decide what they would like to include. If this is becoming too much of a headache for you, the food should be bought ready made and the prices priced accordingly.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Feb 22 2016, 9:17 am
Yes that includes the raw ingredients. I haven't charged for labor. and its all made from scratch. Most ppl are perfectly fine with it but a couple complained. If I buy the kugels- They alone will be over $75.

I told them this is what it is I just wanted to know if I make sense with what I am charging. I told them I f they have a problem with it sponsor it one week in YOUR house and I don't do anything...our neighborhood keeps growing and it is going to go up again at some point and ppl wont be happy....before I raised the price I swallowed some of it each week...

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Feb 22 2016, 9:30 am
$75 is what they ask for in my shul of very few people and they give half of what you serve. I think your price is extremely reasonable.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note