Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Survey question: who pays for wedding?
Previous  1  2  3

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Feb 24 2016, 8:55 pm
Heimish. My parents paid for the wdding for the girls, amd flop for the boys. We live in NY. I never heard of flops, but I did get a sheitel.

tigerwife

Post Wed, Feb 24 2016, 9:57 pm
We did fifty/fifty.

As for gifts, we are not from the uber-chassidish circles but my MiL bought me a TON of gifts, some standard but also lots of random ones like beautiful gloves and a leather wallet. Believe it or not, some people actually love giving gifts (and she liked me a lot! Smile ). DH also bought me some gifts and I got him some fun things as well like expensive headphones and uggs loafers. I wasn't doing it out of community standards; I don't even know anyone else who did it.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Feb 25 2016, 12:02 am
amother wrote:
We paid more for our son's wedding than the kallah's side simply because we were able to afford more. We didn't do FLOPS, but FLOPS is very common in our circle.

Our machatonim don't do gifts, because they really don't have money. We bought our daughter-in-law candlesticks and a diamond engagement ring.

We are OOT Yeshivish.

This is beautiful.

My parents paid for 95% of my wedding b/c my ILs really could not afford it. We got married in my OOT community, and after the wedding, my ILs sent them a check for what they could afford as "reimbursement". I felt bad that they couldn't afford more, but that was immaturity
on my part.

They are yeshivish, my parents are "balbatish". They also have twice as many children as my parents do, and my FIL was out of a job at the time.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Feb 25 2016, 12:21 am
My inlaws paid FLOPS, but since I lived OOT they paid what FLOPS would have cost them in NY, not actually what it was costing them in my city- which was way more more expesive than NYC prices! But I guess they paid what they could afford.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Feb 25 2016, 12:28 am
My husband's side paid FLOPS , my parents did the rest.
OOT yeshivish.

happyjewish woman

Post Thu, Feb 25 2016, 12:29 am
my inlaws are from Israel my fil is still in kollel they gave a set price and my parents paid the rest

justforfun87

Post Thu, Feb 25 2016, 2:11 am
My husband's family is not religious and shocked we were getting married so young but we sort of stuck to the FLOP thing. The only difference was they really went all out on the flowers, band, photography etc so it probably was close to half the price. If my side was paying for those things we probably would have stuck to centerpieces from the gmach.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics