Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Shouldnt Frum people have a KINDNESS MOVEMENT too?
Previous  1  2

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Feb 26 2016, 7:56 am
amother wrote:
I so apologize, I guess those who enjoy mistreating others with proof and encouragement from the Torah, know better.

If youre so sure youre right, can you name one Rov or Rebbe who says name-calling and mistreating of other groups of Jews or non-Jews is encouraged and taught in the Torah, with written examples?

I am referring to the Torah that is described below:

Etz-chayim hi lamachazikim bah, vesomcheha me'ushar.....

Etz-Chaim hi, THIS Torah preaches uppityness and mistreatment of innocent humans?

What does the video you posted have anything to do with point you are trying to get across?

I believe the point you are trying to make is that all Jews should teach their children to be tolerant. Correct?

So why do your posts sound like you are anti Semitic?

You know anti semitism is also a form of intolerance?

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Feb 26 2016, 8:30 am
I agree with everyone here about the huge amount of volunteers in our midst. Its amazing and beautiful how much of people's time and energy is devoted to good causes.

My point is that while there are some in our community who have made huge Kiddush Hashem with their Humanitarianism, there are SOME people in the frum community, the more sheltered, the more this is the case, it seems, who think theres no harm in (looking down at) and them using, and allowing their children to use, derogatory names for people not of their kind. We ought to teach our children kindness and humanitarianism, which they could easily learn by observation, by how we, the adults, treat people not exactly like ourselves.

Are those who are calling my posts "anti-Semitic" sounding, denying the above? Yes we do many unique and great things daily, but this is one example of ugly behavior, by some. Sorry if I offended anyone. That was not my intention. Everyone including myself, should always look to improve.

Thats it. Thats my grievance. Why ignore and deny this ugly behavior?

"Humanitarianism is a moral of kindness, benevolence, and sympathy extended to all human beings".

Heyaaa

Post Fri, Feb 26 2016, 8:49 am
Are you as tolerant of them as you want them to be?

I agree it's not nice that some people are intolerant but they stay pretty segregated. It's not like they spend time with people out of their community. If they treat others properly, then who cares what they feel inside. And if they're not, if you don't live in such a community, you don't really get to decide what that community should focus on.

I think people should focus on the middos issues in their family and not worry so much about whether or not others raise their kids the same way you would raise yours.

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Feb 26 2016, 8:56 am
amother wrote:
I agree with everyone here about the huge amount of volunteers in our midst. Its amazing and beautiful how much of people's time and energy is devoted to good causes.

My point is that while there are some in our community who have made huge Kiddush Hashem with their Humanitarianism, there are SOME people in the frum community, the more sheltered, the more this is the case, it seems, who think theres no harm in (looking down at) and them using, and allowing their children to use, derogatory names for people not of their kind. We ought to teach our children kindness and humanitarianism, which they could easily learn by observation, by how we, the adults, treat people not exactly like ourselves.

Are those who are calling my posts "anti-Semitic" sounding, denying the above? Yes we do many unique and great things daily, but this is one example of ugly behavior, by some. Sorry if I offended anyone. That was not my intention. Everyone including myself, should always look to improve.

Thats it. Thats my grievance. Why ignore and deny this ugly behavior?

"Humanitarianism is a moral of kindness, benevolence, and sympathy extended to all human beings".

Then say what you mean and mean what you say.

And no, I don't disagree that there are some frum people that are intolerant. And when I encounter such people I try to educate them. What I don't do is go on a public forum and bash Jews.

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Feb 26 2016, 9:07 am
Heyaaa wrote:
I think people should focus on the middos issues in their family and not worry so much about whether or not others raise their kids the same way you would raise yours.

Oh, ok, so if SOME others of your group want to call humans ugly names, thereby making some of your group not HUMANITARIAN in the public eye, and raise children to do the same, and raise their children to do the same, on and on, for generations, they have that "right", and youre ok with it.

smilingmom

Post Fri, Feb 26 2016, 9:09 am
amother wrote:
there are SOME people in the frum community, the more sheltered, the more this is the case, it seems, who think theres no harm in (looking down at) and them using, and allowing their children to use, derogatory names for people not of their kind.

]

I don't know who is sheltered, but I guess you consider Satmer, sheltered.
I spend a lot of time in memorial Sloan Kettering hospital and I have seen these "sheltered women" spend their time making everyone they encounter, patients, family members, nurses, cleaning staff, feel good. Regardless of background.
If you are referring to them calling their domestic help Yiddish terms, which may have direct English translation that may be deragatory, that is semantics, and though I don't speak any Yiddish at all, there are important things, I would worry about than that.

Please PM me if you want to hang out at Sloan with me and see the sheltered women in action.

Heyaaa

Post Fri, Feb 26 2016, 9:58 am
amother wrote:
Oh, ok, so if SOME others of your group want to call humans ugly names, thereby making some of your group not HUMANITARIAN in the public eye, and raise children to do the same, and raise their children to do the same, on and on, for generations, they have that "right", and youre ok with it.

I'm not part of any group that bashes any other Jews or even non Jews. I guarantee you.

I was just commenting that, to me it seems that you think that you're promoting tolerance when really you're just complaining about specific groups.

I do believe in being accepting of all people. But that's for me. I don't have the right to dictate to other groups how they should act. I do get to decide if I want to be like them in whatever ways. But I don't get to decide that they have problems unless I've looked in the mirror and decided that I'm truly problem free.

gp2.0

Post Fri, Feb 26 2016, 10:13 am
I'm sorry OP. It sounds like you were mistreated by some ignorant people. In the name of pursuing kindness, acceptance and stamping out ignorance, you can start a kindness movement by not maligning hundreds of thousands of people because a few of them behaved poorly.

greenfire

Post Fri, Feb 26 2016, 10:27 am
the Lubavitcher Rebbe has talked about "random acts of kindness" since mivtzaim started back when ... not to mention Rabbi Akiva ואהבת לרעך כמך

hey I'm glad it's catchy

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Feb 26 2016, 10:33 am
gp2.0 wrote:
I'm sorry OP. It sounds like you were mistreated by some ignorant people. In the name of pursuing kindness, acceptance and stamping out ignorance, you can start a kindness movement by not maligning hundreds of thousands of people because a few of them behaved poorly.

Huh! How about not maligning me?

Show me where I ever said ALL Jews or ALL of a certain group of Jews arent "humanitarian"/kind to others? What

For those incensed that I dared to point out a negative trait in SOME, am I the first one to have done so in all the years of all women venting on Imamother? Or is only a certain type of venting allowed here? What

Im outa here. Be kind, and from here on in, I hope to be kind as well. But now and then Ill vent, without name-calling anyone specifically, if its allowed.

PinkFridge

Post Sat, Feb 27 2016, 10:28 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
This has been around for a decade and a half... http://partnersinkindness.org/about_us.html

Because liking is not enough. (And ditto for smiling mom's post just previous.)

amother
Sapphire

Post Sat, Feb 27 2016, 11:59 pm
I'm not sure what exactly your problem is, op. There are some sheltered people who coach their children that they are better than other cultures because they want them not to try out other paths in life and grow up sheltered without ideas in their heads. However, kids and adults do not call other humans names and curse or spit at them.

Some communities are very into smiling and talking nice on the outside but inside they are jealous of each other and do not care for others when they really need help.

The best idea is to work on yourself (and myself) to be more selfless and respectful to other peoples feelings and needs and not be shy to reach out for others. A quote that I have on my fridge " rather light one small candle, then complain about the darkness."

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 9:29 am
If I would open my mind to try and hear what OP is saying, she might have a point ...

Sometimes & thankfully not all the time there are people who do chessed but it comes out in a limited fashion.

My sister who was undergoing breast cancer surgery and I thought of all the little things that would make her happy was to arrange for bikur cholim to bring her shabbos food ... lo & behold they brought food to the patient in her room - took one look at her and left - why ?! in her mind it was because she was wearing pants and either didn't look frum or look jewish ... she cried about it - she was too broken spirited to ask for what she felt was a handout ... she just wanted to be dressed & feeling normal so that she wouldn't be half undressed in front of any visitors especially her future son-in-law. [Her roommates husband saw how distraught she was & made kiddush for my sister despite his wife being gravely ill - god rest her soul. That is the flip side & there always is a good side to every negative thing. A mitzvah of kindness that cannot ever be forgotten.]

Jews come in all shapes sizes & colours ... they even bentch licht & eat cholent even if not 100% frum one can be 100% spiritual ...

So maybe we have to reassess how we do chessed & remember that God is before me always & that having a good heart to all the same way we should be b'simcha in Adar and around Purim - is especially essential every single day & a means to bring Moshiach!!!

Culturedpearls

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 8:15 am
smilingmom wrote:
I don't know who is sheltered, but I guess you consider Satmer, sheltered.
I spend a lot of time in memorial Sloan Kettering hospital and I have seen these "sheltered women" spend their time making everyone they encounter, patients, family members, nurses, cleaning staff, feel good. Regardless of background.
If you are referring to them calling their domestic help Yiddish terms, which may have direct English translation that may be deragatory, that is semantics, and though I don't speak any Yiddish at all, there are important things, I would worry about than that.

Please PM me if you want to hang out at Sloan with me and see the sheltered women in action.

Can't like this enough. Go check out the amazing women in Williamsburg in the bikkur Cholim kitchen.
See all the special food requests & total simcha with which they do it.
See how much Chai lifeline does
The gmach's for anything & everything.
Mi k'amcha Yisroel?
We aren't perfect but let's be kind to ourselves & see our cup as half full.

Maya

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 8:47 am
Why bring this up now, a few months later?

Culturedpearls

Post Sun, May 22 2016, 9:00 am
Maya wrote:
Why bring this up now, a few months later?

Didn't even realise! Somehow this thread popped up! Lucky it wasn't a few years later Smile
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics