Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
My son only wants to be a ninja for Purim....

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Feb 25 2016, 7:07 pm
the only costumes my seven year old wants is the superhero, power ranger, ninja costumes with the swords....
it bothers me that he should be dressed like that on Purim, but I also want to make him happy and I dont want to be the type that makes everything a big deal.
my husband thinks this is his outlet and who cares whats the big deal.
id much rather he dress up as mordechai hatzadik LOL
wwyd?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 25 2016, 7:11 pm
I hear you. DD always has way out ideas for Purim, and it drives me crazy. To make matters worse, she's a tomboy, and all of her costumes need to include a weapon of some sort. She's definitely the Warrior Princess type, in a kick-butt girlie kind of way.

I think next year she's going to be Yehudis, tent peg and all! shock

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Feb 25 2016, 7:21 pm
amother wrote:
the only costumes my seven year old wants is the superhero, power ranger, ninja costumes with the swords....
it bothers me that he should be dressed like that on Purim, but I also want to make him happy and I dont want to be the type that makes everything a big deal.
my husband thinks this is his outlet and who cares whats the big deal.
id much rather he dress up as mordechai hatzadik LOL
wwyd?

I think you need to let him have his space. He doesn't get to dress up every day, this is exciting for him. You had your chance as a kid to dress up, now it's his turn. He can always be a ninja with one of those star things instead of with a sword. Or a superhero....they don't usually have swords. He's a boy. He wants to do boy things.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Feb 25 2016, 7:29 pm
I would let him be a ninja.

My kids are ninjas or that sort of thing every year. This year it's Star Wars.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Feb 25 2016, 7:29 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I hear you. DD always has way out ideas for Purim, and it drives me crazy. To make matters worse, she's a tomboy, and all of her costumes need to include a weapon of some sort. She's definitely the Warrior Princess type, in a kick-butt girlie kind of way.

love the tent peg idea. I always wanted to dress up as a salem witch, with flames sewed to the hem of a dress and a stake tied at the back. my parents thought the idea horribly morbid and forbade it. they also forbade me to dress up as santa claus. I dressed up as sleeping beauty one year: borrowed an old ratty bathrobe, put curlers in my hair, wore huge fuzzy slippers and a sleep mask hung around my neck. my parents allowed me to dress like that in the house, but made me get dressed to go to the purim meal (restaurant that year).

tigerwife

Post Thu, Feb 25 2016, 7:38 pm
Not every kid wants to be a Mordechai Hatzadik.

Let it go. You can make rules about the weapons (no using in the house and if it even touches someone else- away it goes!) but being dressed up one day is totally fine.

If you want it to be more 'Jewish' themed, what about a maccabi or a chayal?

S11

Post Thu, Feb 25 2016, 7:51 pm
My six yr old son also wants to be a ninja for Purim. I told him no characters so he decided that he wants to be a knight, which is fine with me.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Feb 25 2016, 10:23 pm
I guess ill try to find one that bothers me least. it wont be easy...

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Feb 26 2016, 9:24 am
amother wrote:
I guess ill try to find one that bothers me least. it wont be easy...

IMHO, it's the peer pressure that kills you. If one kid in his class is a ninja, you will never hear the end of it. If there's more than one kid, you're doomed.

Just be glad that you don't have a girl who hates everything to do with princess dresses. At wits end

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 7:52 am
Just be glad that you don't have a girl who hates everything to do with princess dresses. At wits end[quote]

That's my 6 year old daughter...last year we did a superhero theme but I made her wear a dress for batgirl

5mom

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 8:17 am
Let him do it. He is likely to remember that you wouldn't let him dress up how he wanted.
Children have so little control over their lives. Why not allow it when you can?

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 8:40 am
Im smiling, my son only wants to be ninja too....

PAMOM

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 9:22 am
Meaning no disrespect, but how is being a knight different from being a ninja? Do you mean a ninja turtle?

BayMom

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 9:31 am
With my son, I've already said no to more Ninjago Lego sets because I don't like the violence pretend play that comes with it. However, when he asked to dress up as a ninja on Purim I decided not to fight it, it's only one day and not that much different than dressing up as a soldier. (Ninjas are Japanese fighters/warriors)

water_bear88

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 9:54 am
What about nunchucks instead of a sword? (I think they're more ninja-ey than a morningstar, but then I was one of those girls whose costume often included a weapon.)

imasoftov

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 9:59 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

That's Yael with the tent peg. Yehudit used a sword.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children