Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Digital camera broke and finances are tight now
1  2  Next

ludicrous

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 4:53 pm
my canon camera broke. it is around 6 years old, so I am not sure if it pays to fix it at this point.
it doesn't turn on. I can't take pictures, but I can view pictures.
our finances are pretty tight now so I don't know what to do.
would you buy a used camera on ebay?
any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

cm

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 4:58 pm
If you have a reasonably modern phone, you don't need a camera, unless you are a very serious photographer.

ludicrous

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 5:26 pm
no I don't have a camera on my phone

doctorima

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 6:02 pm
It will likely cost more to repair it than to buy a new one. There have been advertised specials recently for Canon manufacturer refurbished with 1 year warranty for under $50. I would trust that more than Ebay, but whatever you do, make sure you buy it on an American Express to have additional coverage in case it's a lemon.

ludicrous

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 6:05 pm
doctorima wrote:
It will likely cost more to repair it than to buy a new one. There have been advertised specials recently for Canon manufacturer refurbished with 1 year warranty for under $50. I would trust that more than Ebay, but whatever you do, make sure you buy it on an American Express to have additional coverage in case it's a lemon.

where can I buy a canon manufacturer refurbished camera?
how does buying with American express give me additional coverage?
I don't have an American express card.
Thanks

Amarante

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 6:20 pm
Digital cameras are very cheap now unless you want a SLR digital camera. But if you are using for basic photography, you can do very well.

It certainly doesn't pay to fix your old camera. Just look on amazon. You could probably get a comparable camera for under $100 or even less. If you are taking snapshots - not enlarging or doing serious photography, you don't need a state of the art camera. Most people are just using the fairly simple cameras on their phones.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr.....01519

doctorima

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 7:21 pm
Here's a few Canon refurbished options:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop.....26149
http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop.....ished
http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop.....26149

sped

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 7:38 pm
Be careful with refurbished. My refurbished phone stopped working much, much earlier than a non-refurbished phone of the same model. I was told that is typical of refurbished items.
OP- I am in the same boat as you right now.

doctorima

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 8:36 pm
There's a big difference between manufacturer refurbished, which usually come with a 1-year warranty just like a brand new item, and other refurbished, which often come with only 30 days. Buying on an American Express adds a second year of coverage, and if it makes it 2 years at these prices, you've definitely gotten your money's worth!

gande

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 8:44 pm
You can buy on ebay refurbished and a squaretrade warrenty which is the best type of warrenty . Look out for sales on refurbished. They keep on popping up on the deals sites. Another option is to buy a very old model ( but takes better pictures than the newer ones) on Amazon and ebay for abt $50 and pray it doesn't break.

seeker

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 9:53 pm
Even manufacturer refurbished usually have a shorter warranty than new, but can still be a good deal especially if you can get an extra year or two cheaply from square trade.

But I've seen sale prices on decent new cameras around $70ish, though I'm not sure what your price range is. Bear in mind that even cheap cameras today will probably all work better than any camera from 6 years ago, you can't really go too wrong.

ludicrous

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 10:14 pm
seeker wrote:
Even manufacturer refurbished usually have a shorter warranty than new, but can still be a good deal especially if you can get an extra year or two cheaply from square trade.

But I've seen sale prices on decent new cameras around $70ish, though I'm not sure what your price range is. Bear in mind that even cheap cameras today will probably all work better than any camera from 6 years ago, you can't really go too wrong.

what is square trade? is that from American express?

seeker

Post Sun, Feb 28 2016, 10:23 pm
No, it's sold along with the products on several websites - ebay for sure, maybe amazon, and some others. It's like a third-party warranty service.

With the rate at which people upgrade technology these days I wouldn't be surprised if you find that someone you know has an older but perfectly fine digital camera sitting around in a drawer somewhere that they could give you until you are in a better position to get a new one. I dumped my old one not that long ago, maybe someone else here has one. Maybe ask on your local freecycle, and poll your friends and family.

sped

Post Mon, Feb 29 2016, 4:03 am
gande wrote:
You can buy on ebay refurbished and a squaretrade warrenty which is the best type of warrenty . Look out for sales on refurbished. They keep on popping up on the deals sites. Another option is to buy a very old model ( but takes better pictures than the newer ones) on Amazon and ebay for abt $50 and pray it doesn't break.[/b]
[b]

I was looking into this. I found an old model Canon (new camera) with decent revies and am debating trying it. It came out about 10 years ago. Does anyone have any experience with something like this?

ludicrous

Post Mon, Feb 29 2016, 4:26 am
does anyone have experience with buying a manufacturer refurbished camera?
thanks

Smile1234

Post Mon, Feb 29 2016, 5:15 am
sped wrote:
[b]

I was looking into this. I found an old model Canon (new camera) with decent revies and am debating trying it. It came out about 10 years ago. Does anyone have any experience with something like this?

Which model is it? Maybe someone knows something about the specific model.

israel22

Post Mon, Feb 29 2016, 12:15 pm
b and h sometimes also has good deals u shud check them as well

rachelle613

Post Mon, Feb 29 2016, 1:01 pm
OP, where are you located? I have not used my digital camera...for about 2 years now. It's a canon one, works great, but I only use my phone. Do you want it?

ludicrous

Post Mon, Feb 29 2016, 1:19 pm
I live in eretz yisroel

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 29 2016, 3:16 pm
sped wrote:
[b]

I would look for more recent than 10 years ago. Technology has improved significantly since then. I'm not sure exactly the timeline but I think I'd be happy with anything released within the last 5 years.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics