Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
First grader had 2 accidents

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Feb 29 2016, 10:33 am
Hi,
My 6 year old daughter had 2 accidents at school last week,
While I would normally not be concerned, I see that she doesn't feel as though she has to go to the bathroom until its actually coming out, and then she doesnt always have enough time to get there.
Her panties are constantly wet in the evening.
How can I help her realize when she needs to go before its too late? I tested her a few months back for a urinary infection and it came back negative.
Thanks for your help. I dont want this to turn into a source of embarrassment for her

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 9:35 am
Bump

happy2bhere

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 10:05 am
Sometimes if they have more accidents than normal it can be an indicator of strep.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 10:17 am
I once saw a watch at Babies R US that you can set alarms every hour or 1/2 hour, to remind her to go to the bathroom.
Sometimes kids are afraid they will miss something, or they are too concentrated on what they are doing, they forget they had to go.
Sometimes if I'm really busy, I wait till the absolute minute. B"H I do my kigel exercises very often.

sunshine5

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 10:44 am
My daughter had same thing for about a year. She didnt literally have accident but her panties were always wet. Checked frequently for uti twas always negative, did bladder ultrasound also came back normal. And bh it resolved by itself.
Crimsom amother is right. Kids sometimes so absorbed in what they doing or afraid they'll miss something that they really dont realize that they need to go.
Good luck.

simcha2

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 10:56 am
Also ask her what the policy is for going on school. My dd was scared to ask to go during in class because the Morah had said, they should try and go only during recess. Maybe she isn't comfortable asking.

Leahh

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 10:59 am
Timed voiding.
Wethersfield she feels the need to go or not she should go every hour or every 2 hours, whatever interval of time you feel works for her.

ldg

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 11:10 am
Constipation can cause that too. I've seen that happen with a couple of kids.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 12:45 pm
I like the idea of timed voiding, but does that create problems if she didn't really have to go yet?
I can implement that at home and see if it keeps her panties dry and then work with the school.

I am wondering if its strep, but I think its mostly that shes distracted/ busy and pushes it off even if she feels the urge, until a second before its too late..

gold21

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 1:13 pm
This happened with one of my kids in first grade (though not in school- it only happened at home). He would concentrate so hard on what he was playing, he would wait til the last second to use the bathroom, and....

He's now in second grade and never has accidents. Literally never, not all year. B"H.

For him, it was just a matter of growing up a little more, I guess. The extra year made a big difference. B"H.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 1:32 pm
please dont let this go it. it can be an indication of constipation which can become very complicated.

is she also constipated? if so then take care of the constipation and this should resolve itself.
if not dont wait it wont go away on its own. the key here is it wont go away on its own. my experience.

timed voiding is a great idea. make sure she goes but dont make it into stressful issue. just look her in the eye and say she needs to go now.

dont let her just get away with it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children