Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Starting my journey to MD at 25

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Feb 29 2016, 10:47 am
Here I am at age 25 embarking on my journey to medical school and beyond (started with undergrad). I'm keeping it a secret from my friends and family so just looking for some encouragement, excitement, and a place to share my secret!

ahuva06

Post Mon, Feb 29 2016, 10:54 am
Wow good for you!! Good luck!!

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Feb 29 2016, 11:15 am
Wow good luck!! I'm just starting my journey to become an OT, not as hard as medicine but still difficult being a mom. Good luck to both of us! And good for you!!

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Feb 29 2016, 2:48 pm
Wishing you much success. I believe with a good support system and the willingness to work hard and persever no matter what, you CAN do this. Follow your dream. I waited until age 45 to start nursing school and im loving it and succeeding at it. If yoy can handle it emotionally, financially and academically then you are good to go.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Feb 29 2016, 4:04 pm
What stage of the process are you up to?

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Feb 29 2016, 4:08 pm
Why are you keeping it a secret?

zaq

Post Mon, Feb 29 2016, 5:19 pm
YOU GO, GIRL!

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Feb 29 2016, 5:20 pm
Wow, amazing. My brother is doing something similar. I'm curious, how do you manage this financially? For 10 years or so you won't be earning a salary at all, and will possibly have high tuition bills. Are you taking on huge loans? Family support? Do you have kids already?

Hatzlacha!!!

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Feb 29 2016, 7:41 pm
Answers to the many questions:

I already have a bachelors degree in an unrelated field, but I'm in the middle of a second bachelor's and then going to proceed to Med School from there IYH. I always wanted to go to Medical school, but put that aside when I got married. I know that I will not be making money for the next "10 years" (well, you actually do make money during residency so it's less than 10 years), but I've been planning for this (and of course davening to Hashem), will have financial aid, family aid, and will scrap and save every penny, living on a tight budget. I know that it's worth it because I'll be able to be doing what I love. People know that I'm college, but I'm keeping my "end goal" a secret because I'm not interested in long, negative conversations based on other individual's experiences. Eventually I will let the secret out though. Everyone should follow their dreams, no matter how big!

Thanks for all of the positivity!

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Feb 29 2016, 7:43 pm
You are very lucky to have such a supportive dh and family!

MMCH

Post Mon, Feb 29 2016, 7:59 pm
Thats awesome! Good Luck !

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Feb 29 2016, 8:06 pm
I hope you will post updates. I've spent a lot of time around medical students and residents. To say it's hard is a major understatement but the amazing privilege of immersing yourself in the study of medicine is awesome and the ability to compassionately care for patients is amazing.

greenfire

Post Mon, Feb 29 2016, 10:08 pm
Sometimes people like to discourage but you have to do what makes you happy. I think it's a great idea.

Here's to the Future Doctor !!! לחיים Cheers

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 1:06 pm
amother wrote:
Here I am at age 25 embarking on my journey to medical school and beyond (started with undergrad). I'm keeping it a secret from my friends and family so just looking for some encouragement, excitement, and a place to share my secret!

thats amazing!

definitely keep us updated!

how r u doing?

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 2:00 pm
How many more years of undergrad do you have? When do you hope to start med school? It's a very long tough road....

MrsDash

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 2:23 pm
My father didn't even start college until he was 26 and he went on to get a phd. Anything is possible at any age. The time will pass regardless.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 2:55 pm
MrsDash wrote:
My father didn't even start college until he was 26 and he went on to get a phd. Anything is possible at any age. The time will pass regardless.

I agree!

im totally rooting for op!

Fox

Post Wed, Aug 10 2016, 3:19 pm
MrsDash wrote:
The time will pass regardless.

So true! Dear Abby or Ann Landers used to always tell people who were embarking on lengthy journeys to reach their goals, "So how old will you be in ten years if you don't pursue your goal?"

From the vantage of middle age, I think sometimes we are too discouraging of people who start new careers or educational preparation a little later than typical.

Yes, you might have more responsibilities to juggle and maybe even a little less energy, but you'll also have a lot more maturity, confidence, and motivation. Those qualities can compensate for a lot!

I had quite a few peers in college who went to medical school because it was a high-status career and because they couldn't think of what else to do. They didn't necessarily have much interest in anything related to health care. And guess what? The few that I'm in contact with, unsurprisingly, are not terribly happy physicians. In fact, one constantly obsesses about how she can retire as soon as possible.

Taking a little more time to make sure you're on a career path for the right reasons often leads to more success than jumping on the nearest bandwagon. It sounds like you've done your homework and will do just fine!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics