Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Pidyon haben

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Mar 01 2016, 8:00 pm
Just curious how much the kohen makes from a pidyon haben

5mom

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 2:11 am
I've never heard of a Kohen who didn't give back the coins. He doesn't earn anything, at least not in MO circles.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 2:32 am
I know of many who keep it otherwise as if child didn't have a pidyon

5mom

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 3:28 am
amother wrote:
I know of many who keep it otherwise as if child didn't have a pidyon

The Kohen gives it to the parents as a gift. That is, the kinyan was made, and afterwards the Kohen has the right to do whatever he wants with the money.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 5:11 am
We just made a pidyon. We bought the coins from the cohen before (249 shek) and then gave them to him at the pidyon. He didn't give us the coins or the money back.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 6:45 am
Thanks but I asked how much you make if you keep the coins

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 7:03 am
amother wrote:
Thanks but I asked how much you make if you keep the coins

You asked how much a cohen makes and I answered that in our case it was 249 shek.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 7:15 am
It's according to the present price of silver. This is one of the matnas kehuna. Many kohanim own a set of these coins. The father of the child buys the coins either from the kohen or elsewhere. He gives them to the kohen as a permanent gift.

debbie321

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 9:30 am
On a funny note, my husband is a Cohen and did a few pidyons. Once when I knew I was pregnant, and once when I was pregnant and didn't know it. Bother times gave birth to boys after.... we saw it as a segula, cuz Cohen sells baby to parents. ...so we saw it as if gave away our baby but got another in return...

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 10:12 am
The Cohen we used gave them back to DH after people went home. I don't know if he routinely does that or just knows we could barely afford it. We didn't ask and we expected that he would keep it.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 11:54 am
Iymnok wrote:
It's according to the present price of silver. This is one of the matnas kehuna. Many kohanim own a set of these coins. The father of the child buys the coins either from the kohen or elsewhere. He gives them to the kohen as a permanent gift.

Also there are various opinions about how much the coins must weigh. I've seen figures between 90 and 117 grams (total weight, not per coin) and there might be even more variation. Today that's worth between $43.32 and $56.27. Someone might also use availables coins which are worth more than needed, add a sixth coin in case the coins are a bit light (there's a minhag like that), or collectable coins whose worth is greater than the value of the silver.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics