Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Are you a working mom?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Are you a "working mother" - I.e. have another job aside from home and family
No  
 37%  [ 23 ]
Yes  
 62%  [ 39 ]
Total Votes : 62

chestnut

Post Wed, Nov 17 2004, 2:38 pm
Rivka wrote:
The crock pot thing, I have one sitting in my cupvoard probably has cobwebs on it coz I am a bit worried about leaving it in the house most the day unattended, I am a worry freak sometimes, but I would love to hear recipes for it.

I posted a link to many crock pot recipes in the recipe section. check it out and good luck!

Henya

Post Thu, Nov 18 2004, 10:49 pm
I work at home. I have a home daycare. I worked in a preschool for
4 1/2 years before I had my baby. I LOVE working with children. They never cease to amaze me. After I gave birth, I took a 1 year maternity leave. I decided to open up a home daycare so that I can work yet still be near my daughter. B"h it's exactly what I want. I get the best of both worlds!

sarahd

Post Sat, Nov 20 2004, 6:10 pm
I work very part-time (9-3, Mon-Wed) and baruch Hashem my sis-in-law babysits for me, so I'm comfortable leaving the baby. I just returned to work after a 4 month maternity leave. We could probably manage without my salary, but I think it's good for me to be out of the house. Until I went back to work, I got nothing accomplished till the afternoon anyhow. I just couldn't pull myself together. Now that I have no choice, I manage to be out of the house by 8.30, with both of us dressed and lunch made.

I find that I enjoy the baby much more for having been away a bit, and I feel much more put together. Even on the days that I'm not working, I get much more done at home.

Of course, I have only been working for two weeks and my opinion may change. Smile

ForeverYoung

Post Sun, Nov 21 2004, 2:34 pm
8) lol

Tefila

Post Sun, Nov 21 2004, 11:39 pm
Henya
Quote:
I decided to open up a home daycare so that I can work yet still be near my daughter. B"h it's exactly what I want. I get the best of both worlds!

Tell me, or can you pm me more about it.... I am interested.... licensing etc

AweSumThenSum

Post Fri, Dec 10 2004, 1:08 pm
I have 2 children b"h, and I work as a paralegal 3 days a week. I find that on the whole, things are pretty much under control. yes, I haveto budget my time, and I haveto be really organized w/ the domestic part of my life (I.e. shopping),. the only time I feel conflicted about work vs. home is when my work infringes on school vacation days, and other such times. my children and husband are very understanding, so it isn't really an open issue, it's more a matter of how I feel.

davises88

Post Fri, Dec 10 2004, 6:22 pm
I have two children B"H. I work full time (5 full days) in public relations for Boeing. I love writing and editing. And because I have a somewhat flexible job I can sometimes work from home.
In addition, I have a gym right near work so I can fit in 30 minutes before heading home. Sanity break. Wink There's also a mother's room so I could pump milk or rest while I was expecting. I am SO fortunate that my daycare for the younger one is right across the street from the office. Smile Good thing too. The commute is vicious.
The days are long and busy. The kids and I leave when it's dark and return when it's dark. We're out of the house basically from 7 until 7.
I LOVE to cook and it's important that I keep the house a certain way. But, some things really have had to slide. It's not gourmet except for Shabbat.
Working makes childcare, cooking and keeping up the house rather nuts. Fridays are a terrible rush. I cook and bake in advance. I often portioning things out or freeze them whole in foil containers. If they're well wrapped, I can fit in quite a few meals in the deep freeze.
My DH works for a Jewish organization, so it's easier for him to manage the calendar. He certainly doesn't have to use all of his vacation days for the haggim etc.
My company is very much geared for men. But they have made some strides to accommodate women. Having my career is important and the income it provides is necessary for our family. Still, I sometimes wish I could have my cake and eat it too: working part time, home part time.

hadasa

Post Sat, Dec 11 2004, 3:26 pm
I'm on Shlichus, which is a 24/7 job. My official hours are 9-5 most days, but part of that time I'm teaching my own kids, so I do get to see them during the day. It's hard juggling, but I've set some limits, e.g. I don't answer the phone while putting them to sleep, etc.

Tefila

Post Sun, Dec 12 2004, 12:01 am
Hadasa
Quote:
I'm on Shlichus, which is a 24/7 job.

Well, well, well finding out more about each other Very Happy Welcome aboard fellow Shlucha Wink
Quote:
e.g. I don't answer the phone while putting them to sleep, etc

Or during homework and supper time. People know they can catch me till 4:00pm, or after 8:00pm till midnight.
and
Quote:
I'm teaching my own kids

Wow I'm impressed Smile

hadasa

Post Sun, Dec 12 2004, 10:35 pm
It's not really homeschooling, more like semi-homeschooling. It's all the Shluchim's kids together, and we've divided the subjects: one Shliach teaches Mishnayos, another teaches Gemara, another Shluchah teaches Parshas Hashavua, I teach Kriah, etc.

Tefila

Post Mon, Dec 13 2004, 9:21 am
Neat Exclamation Atchually we have in this neck of the woods, a Torah Umesorah style school which is seperate from grade3 and on. With about 60 - 80 kids incl Kollel not lub though! So we teach them chassidus etc and once 14yrs they go away Crying to learn .

ichur72

Post Wed, Dec 15 2004, 4:04 pm
I also work from home. I am an oil industry analyst, and I write news articles and opinion pieces for a UK-based company that publishes trade journals. I got lucky in that I was able to create this job for myself, more or less. It's also part-time, which leaves me time to keep house, volunteer, goof off, etc. I like my job.

Tefila

Post Wed, Dec 15 2004, 4:12 pm
Quote:
goof off,

LOL LOL

1stimer

Post Tue, Jan 25 2005, 3:00 am
I also work, I work 22 hours a week in an office and 10 hours from home. I work one night a week (7-12) which is nice coz I get to be with dovid all day and dh babysits him whilst I'm at work, but tiring! the rest I work two mornings and one afternoon. I just started the two mornings this week - so still seeing how it will go.
I am wondering though - how do you tell if baby is happy at babysitter?
I find working from home a real challenge - when do you find the time to do it - my baby rarely sleeps during the day (4 1/2 months) he takes most of his naps whilst I am nursing him. I sometimes work while I am nursing him but it is not always practical.
also pumping is quite a challenge to make sure he has enuf food while I am out - any tips any1?

Pearl

Post Tue, Jan 25 2005, 8:00 am
I work 38 hours in an office. Mon-Thur 8 or 9 hours a day, and Fri till 1pm. I used a pump at work (I had a room alone at the time) for more than 3 months, twice a day. I would just lock the door.
I would very much like to work less hours.....however, money wise that's not an option + no one here works part time....wouldn't even know how they would react if I would ask for it.
YT's cost me lots of vacation days, that's something I am not happy about. It's difficult to juggle in such a way every one is happy... Confused For now, my husband is with the children when they are not in school, and when he is not abroad on business....!

Rach

Post Tue, Jan 25 2005, 11:06 pm
I'm a FT hospice Social Worker and I love my job. Social Work is a passion for me and allows me to be a better mom, better wife, and better Jew. Above and beyond though, I am a Mommy of 4 amazing kids who, I believe, are learning the importane of a work ethic from both me and my husband. I really enjoy down time when I have it, but also know that I would lose it if I were home all day. Happy Mommy's make a Happy house!

Rivka

Post Mon, Jan 31 2005, 5:18 am
I gave my son formula when I went back to work because I found it hard expressing so many bottles. So I fed him twice a day and then it got to once a day and then to nothing because he didn't want to be breastfed anymore.

Pearl

Post Mon, Jan 31 2005, 5:36 am
I have kind of a reverse problem - my son doesn't want to drink anything from a bottle! He also doesn't drink formula from a cup or something. So I still nurse him whenever I am home (twice every night also..... Confused ), but am worried he doesn't get what he needs.....

roza

Post Thu, Sep 22 2005, 8:32 pm
sarahd wrote:

Of course, I have only been working for two weeks and my opinion may change. Smile

and now, after almost a year later?

sarahd

Post Fri, Sep 23 2005, 4:06 am
Funny you should ask, I was just looking through this thread and saw my comment again and thought, "Well, now it's a year later, what do I think?" So, my SIL stopped babysitting because she got an office job (maybe she'd like to come here and report how she likes working out of the house Smile ) and my son is not too happy at his new babysitter. I'm not thrilled with her either. But my job is okay, I still like getting out, and now is not a good time for me to quit the job. I also think it's good for my son to be with other kids instead of spending all day just with me.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics