Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Is a dishwasher worth it?
Previous  1  2

Iymnok

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 4:37 am
amother wrote:
can you wash pots in it?

There is usually a "pots" setting.
For the cholent pot, a soak it, run it through the dishwasher, and remove the rest with steel wool.
The dishwasher gets all the dirt and grime off, but if there's hard black burnt oil, you'll have to do that afterwards. But it does come off much easier.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 10:12 am
amother wrote:
I have the Fisher and Paykel two drawer. I use one for milchigs and one for pareve. Great for big bakers. We don't need a full size dishwasher for milchigs, so this works for us. I should point out that it's as expensive as any top of the line dishwasher.
I have a Siemerns for fleishigs. It has a stainless steel interior, and I bought doubles of all the interior parts so that (together with a timer from Tzomet) I can set it to go on after the Seder. As far as I'm concerned, that's the best investment we ever made for Pesach. I actually enjoy yom tov without thinking about the cleanup.

Oh my gosh, you are living my DREAM!

For those of you in Israel, do you put a water filter on the line to the washer, to make sure that minerals don't clog up the machine? I can't get over how hard the water is here, it leaves white spots on everything, even when I try to rinse and dry as fast as I can.

I'm getting a dishwasher just before Pesach.

cnc

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 12:05 pm
It cleans the pots better than I can ever clean them myself.
The stainless steel comes out shiny.

L K

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 1:04 pm
cnc wrote:
It cleans the pots better than I can ever clean them myself.
The stainless steel comes out shiny.

What brand and how old is your dishwasher.
I'm using an old "contractor grade" one and it cleans anything but the pots (

cnc

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 1:06 pm
L K wrote:
What brand and how old is your dishwasher.
I'm using an old "contractor grade" one and it cleans anything but the pots (

Maytag. Around 7 years old.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Mar 28 2016, 1:06 pm
amother wrote:
I have the Fisher and Paykel two drawer. I use one for milchigs and one for pareve. Great for big bakers. We don't need a full size dishwasher for milchigs, so this works for us. I should point out that it's as expensive as any top of the line dishwasher.
I have a Siemerns for fleishigs. It has a stainless steel interior, and I bought doubles of all the interior parts so that (together with a timer from Tzomet) I can set it to go on after the Seder. As far as I'm concerned, that's the best investment we ever made for Pesach. I actually enjoy yom tov without thinking about the cleanup.

Do both compartments fit mixing bowls, medium and large pots (not stock pots but say a 3-quart one or a Dutch oven) and other bulky non-flat items?

What's your Siemens model, and how much does the set of interior parts add up to?
Do you somehow kasher the dishwasher itself for pesach?

Ruchel

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 3:02 am
Life saver unless, you have very regular cleaning help who does your dishes, you get everything throwable, or maybe with a small family...

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 3:38 am
amother wrote:
Do both compartments fit mixing bowls, medium and large pots (not stock pots but say a 3-quart one or a Dutch oven) and other bulky non-flat items?

What's your Siemens model, and how much does the set of interior parts add up to?
Do you somehow kasher the dishwasher itself for pesach?

I can fit a large mixing bowl or pot in the FP dishwasher.

I don't remember the model number or cost of replacement racks (about $400?) of the Siemens. The interior is stainless steel, so we clean it, wait 24 hours and run the hottest cycle then put in the pesach racks. But of course, ask your local rabbi.

etky

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 4:14 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Oh my gosh, you are living my DREAM!

For those of you in Israel, do you put a water filter on the line to the washer, to make sure that minerals don't clog up the machine? I can't get over how hard the water is here, it leaves white spots on everything, even when I try to rinse and dry as fast as I can.

I'm getting a dishwasher just before Pesach.

The hard water here is the bane of my existence.
You can install a filtration or softening system for your entire home but it's expensive and requires some upkeep.
We don't have one so our water is very hard. We use the special dishwasher salt in our dishwasher and set it at the level that the manufacturer recommends for our water supply.
The technician should set it for you when he comes to install the machine.
We also use rinse aid which helps prevent water spots left by the minerals.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Mar 31 2016, 1:35 pm
For thoes of you saying that you cant load your dishwasher on shabbos or yom tov due to lights turning on when door gets opened.... I had my electritian install a 'light switch' on the backsplash above my dishwasher that I turn off before shabbos and yom tov and it cuts the electric to the dishwasher so there is no problems

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Mar 31 2016, 1:39 pm
amother wrote:
I can fit a large mixing bowl or pot in the FP dishwasher.

I don't remember the model number or cost of replacement racks (about $400?) of the Siemens. The interior is stainless steel, so we clean it, wait 24 hours and run the hottest cycle then put in the pesach racks. But of course, ask your local rabbi.

Did you ask a rav if FP one is "kosher", or had to do some special installation to separate the drains? I saw something like that mentioned in FP manual online.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Mar 31 2016, 2:58 pm
Worth it all the way! I just got mine for the first time a year ago...it is my life saver. I work full time and it is really a great help. I have it for fleishig. Sometimes some items dont clean well, but eventually you learn how to program it properly to work it's best. My dishwasher is actually not working right now, it wont drain the water and I have not washed my pots or dishes all week, cuz I got so spoiled with the machine! Worth it worth it worth it! Make sure it's stainless steel interior. Also, I was never able to wash grease out of plastic containers as well as the dishwasher does...definitely does a better job on some of the stuff than I would be able to do.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Mar 31 2016, 3:11 pm
amother wrote:
Did you ask a rav if FP one is "kosher", or had to do some special installation to separate the drains? I saw something like that mentioned in FP manual online.

We have separate drains.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Mar 31 2016, 3:51 pm
amother wrote:
We have separate drains.

Ok thanks
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry