Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Keep missing work because my own kids are sick!!
1  2  Next

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Mar 06 2016, 9:11 pm
Hi moms - I'm not a teacher, but a related services provider hired by the school. Therefore, when I miss school, my clients are not seen. I get 10 days off per year - I took 2 early in the year to visit family that lives very far away, and am about to take my 9th day off tomorrow already this year due to one of my own kids getting sick. Sad this has been an awful winter for my children! I never would have taken those 2 days to see my family if I knew how many days I'd miss after! My older was sick just 2 weeks ago, and now my younger one has it. Sad DH can usually not split the day with me because he has a tremendously demanding job and just can't do it. I'm always scrambling to find childcare when this happens and can never find any, and can't afford a nanny (the only time I'd need one is when my kids are sick!)

Any other teacher moms dealing with this? I feel like my boss can't help but be annoyed with me at this point - it's only March and after tomorrow I'll only have one day off left!

**edited to add I have NO family that lives nearby.

debbie321

Post Sun, Mar 06 2016, 9:29 pm
Wow that must be tough! I'm al so a related service provider,but work through an agency. I chose this so would have flexibility just in case. In September through december,I wor ked half a month each cuz winter was terrible and was in Dr's office a few times a week with my son...I know how you feel! Being home with a sick kid,missing work amd using up ur aick days is terrible! It is a very frustrating feeling! I also got some disability insurance pay for maternity leave, (for january and febreuary) and it was very low,cuz is based on how much I worked....which was MUCH LESS cuz of taking off with my son. It's an exasperating feeling...
Tho I don't have the problem you do of having no days off left, but I understand...though I don't get penalized from school, I just don't get paid! My paychecks have been less than half of what they should cuz was taking care of a sick kid...my solution?kiss your kid and stock up on vitamins,n daven that they get a stronger immune system. And that your school is more sympathetic
Do any neighbor's of urs have any babysitters that can be ur backup incase u need ?

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Mar 06 2016, 9:41 pm
I used to work for an agency - I remember the stress of not being paid :-/ I've had no luck at all with daytime babysitters available on a moments notice like that...

debbie321

Post Sun, Mar 06 2016, 9:46 pm
Do ur friends have babysitters that u could leave ur kid by in their house? Or neighbor?
Relative with housekeeper that u could leave ur kid by if they are already watching one kid?

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Mar 06 2016, 9:49 pm
debbie321 wrote:
Do ur friends have babysitters that u could leave ur kid by in their house? Or neighbor?
Relative with housekeeper that u could leave ur kid by if they are already watching one kid?

No! And no one wants to watch a sick kid. No one wants to share their healthy kid's sitter with a sick child! I have no family nearby.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Mar 06 2016, 9:52 pm
Hugs. I have no family around as well. People are suggesting neighbors but no one will take a sick kid... why should they?

This is one of the main reasons I became very into healthy/clean living. My toddler was always sick and I work F/T at a very inflexible job at a public school.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Mar 06 2016, 9:53 pm
amother wrote:
Hugs. I have no family around as well. People are suggesting neighbors but no one will take a sick kid... why should they?

This is one of the main reasons I became very into healthy/clean living. My toddler was always sick and I work F/T at a very inflexible job at a public school.

How many days off do you get each year?

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Mar 06 2016, 9:55 pm
amother wrote:
How many days off do you get each year?

10 but you are looked really bad upon if you take that many.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Mar 06 2016, 10:04 pm
amother wrote:
10 but you are looked really bad upon if you take that many.

It's starting to look pretty bad for me too :-(

debbie321

Post Sun, Mar 06 2016, 10:04 pm
Since my dr is used to me coming in so much (and she told me when they get older it passes)she recommended probiotics for my younger one as extra protection for immune system...I just started and hope it works...
And I know no one wants a sick kid. But you never know if someone has a housekeeper who could keep an eye out...

debbie321

Post Sun, Mar 06 2016, 10:05 pm
So sorry it's looking bad for you! But if you are entitled...

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Mar 06 2016, 10:08 pm
amother wrote:
It's starting to look pretty bad for me too :-(

Is this your first year working? Do you have a good track record prior to this? If its a fluke year by me it does help if you have other years with less days off...
Things do happen. Teachers have been out 4 days with the flu and thats just the way it is. We do carry days over from other years so u just use those. We only get 3 allowed days for other sick family members so u cant really say why ur out... crazy I know.

nyer1

Post Sun, Mar 06 2016, 10:14 pm
Hi
I recommend finding a babysitter or a few that you could call upon for when your kids are sick.
In the future, remember that If you work in a school, those days are sick days, not vaca days.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Mar 06 2016, 10:15 pm
Where I live people don't just have housekeepers hanging around. They might have a cleaning lady every few weeks.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Mar 06 2016, 10:16 pm
[quote="amother"]Is this your first year working? Do you have a good track record prior to this? If its a fluke year by me it does help if you have other years with less days off...
Fortunately no. I have a great track record, but I'm still anxious because this year has been so crazy.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Mar 06 2016, 10:18 pm
nyer1 wrote:
Hi
I recommend finding a babysitter or a few that you could call upon for when your kids are sick.
In the future, remember that If you work in a school, those days are sick days, not vaca days.

I have tried. I have many babysitters, but no one is ever free on a moments notice. It's not like there are tons of people sitting around just waiting for me to call them when my kid is sick. If someone accepts a job, it is because it's a reliable, consistent position.

**edited to say I see the irony in my last sentence. I haven't been reliable or consistent since November.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 7:04 am
Home with sick son today. I am going to have a nervous breakdown!

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 11:10 am
What are your kids getting that make them "sick"?. Is there any way they can still go to school? Do they just have bad colds/coughs?

lfab

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 11:10 am
I have a similar situation (although B"H, Bli Ayin Hara, poo poo poo) my kids haven't been sick too often this winter. However, other years, and those times when I have needed a last minute babysitter, it is very frustrating. I work in a public school as a related service provider and have no local family at all. The people I know who have a babysitter are already sharing with another child and they would not want a sick child joining them. Everytime it happens I wish there was someone who specifically did sick child babysitting. During their vacations I can plan ahead to find someone (usually a high school or college student who is also off during that time). However, when it comes to someone to watch a sick child there just don't seem to be any options Crying

cm

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 11:27 am
Google for "sick child day care." If you are lucky, there may be such a place near you. Sometimes they are located at hospitals.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics