Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Degree advice

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 1:24 pm
Hi- I'm currently working at a Developmental Disability Service Center and work just as much and as hard as my other co workers, but get paid a lot less because they have a degree and I don't. Once I get my degree, I'll be promoted as an official MSC and will get paid more for almost the same amount of work I'm currently doing.

The minimum educational level is as follows-

MSCs must possess the following minimum education:

• An associates degree in health or human services field from an accredited college or university or a degree in nursing as a Registered Nurse.

• An individual with credits towards a bachelor's degree may meet this educational requirement by providing a letter from his or her colleg verifying that he/she has a course work equivalent to an associated degree both in the total number of credits received and the number of credits earned in a health or human services field.

• An individual with an associate's degree or a bachelor's degree in a field other than health or human services with a minimum of 20 credits in health and human services.

Sadly, my high school diploma is worth zero credits and although I can't earn my degree the conventional way, I'd like to earn it in the most accredited way possible.

I'm aware that online programs are generally frowned upon and was looking into TTI but my supervisor pointed out that it's not a SUNY college, and something like Empire State Collee, although online, would be more accepted and worth than TTI.

Do you agree- why or why not? And are there any online programs more accredited than Empire State College? Have you earned your degree through Empire?

Any and all input appreciated!
Tia

cnc

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 1:29 pm
Do you have any credits from seminary?

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 1:42 pm
cnc wrote:
Do you have any credits from seminary?

I didn't go to seminary and do not have any credits.

myym

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 3:16 pm
I think almost all online programs are fine as long as they have the necessary accreditation. If TTI works for you I would go for it. I think your superviser is incorrect. I know many people that got a degree through that program. It really doesn't matter where the degree comes from.
I work in the health/medical field and much of my degree was done online. As long as you do well and know youre stuff, you are just as sought after as any other candidate in the field.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 3:40 pm
Look into Touro University Worldwide.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 6:57 pm
myym wrote:
I think almost all online programs are fine as long as they have the necessary accreditation. If TTI works for you I would go for it. I think your superviser is incorrect. I know many people that got a degree through that program. It really doesn't matter where the degree comes from.
I work in the health/medical field and much of my degree was done online. As long as you do well and know youre stuff, you are just as sought after as any other candidate in the field.

Thanks for your reply. What do you consider necessary accreditation? I find it hard to believe that as long as I do well and know my stuff I'm JUST as sought after. According to the research I've done, many believe that online programs are not as high quality education as traditional classroom education. I might be wrong though and you based your opinion on experience- so may I ask what program you got your degree from?

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 7:01 pm
OP I don't understand your question about how sought after you'll be. You have a job and you need a degree to get promoted. I highly doubt that Harvard versus CUNY matters to your bosses in your case.

If you want to keep your options open for the future, keep in mind that your experience eventually matters more than your original degree. I did my research too and I was told the associates level barely matters, many people do this in the cheapest college and go on to other programs for bachelors and masters.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 7:42 pm
amother wrote:
OP I don't understand your question about how sought after you'll be. You have a job and you need a degree to get promoted. I highly doubt that Harvard versus CUNY matters to your bosses in your case.

If you want to keep your options open for the future, keep in mind that your experience eventually matters more than your original degree. I did my research too and I was told the associates level barely matters, many people do this in the cheapest college and go on to other programs for bachelors and masters.

Thanks Aubergine amother- you got it exactly right! For my current job any associates degree would do- but if I am gonna put in time and money I'd like to keep my options open for the future- in case a better opportunity presents itself. You might be right that my experience plus an associates will be enough. (Especially given that I already have a few years experience in the Human Resources field and have taken some courses as well.)

Thanks for your input.

chocolatecake

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 8:04 pm
I wouldnt get a degree from a college that is known to be online like thomas edison or university of phoenix. Many colleges have online and in class programs and no one has to know that your degree.was mainly or all online

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 8:17 pm
chocolatecake wrote:
I wouldnt get a degree from a college that is known to be online like thomas edison or university of phoenix. Many colleges have online and in class programs and no one has to know that your degree.was mainly or all online

I thought about that - makes a lot of sense. Any idea if Empire State College is known to be online, on-site, or both?

thanks

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 10:42 pm
Empire State is known as a correspondence program. Before the internet, it was one of the first schools to have a program with mentors.

The only reason I can think of to stay with a SUNY school is $$. Many other schools offer on-line degree programs. Do you live anywhere that you can enroll in a Sorah Schnirer program? (Brooklyn, Monsey, Lakewood) Their program is through Mercy College, and I believe it would meet your criteria. Mercy also offers other degrees on-line outside of Sorah Schnirer.

Good Luck.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Mar 07 2016, 11:00 pm
thanks wrote:
Empire State is known as a correspondence program. Before the internet, it was one of the first schools to have a program with mentors.

The only reason I can think of to stay with a SUNY school is $$. Many other schools offer on-line degree programs. Do you live anywhere that you can enroll in a Sorah Schnirer program? (Brooklyn, Monsey, Lakewood) Their program is through Mercy College, and I believe it would meet your criteria. Mercy also offers other degrees on-line outside of Sorah Schnirer.

Good Luck.

I'd choose Mercy over Empire or TTI in a heartbeat! I had no idea they offer online degrees! I'll definitely look into it.

Very helpful reply, Thanks! Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics