Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
S/O Israeli foods-post recipes/recipe requests here!

water_bear88

Post Wed, Mar 09 2016, 4:00 am
I thought I'd start this because I didn't want to interrupt the other thread.

Someone asked for a matbucha recipe- this is the one I have saved in my bookmarks that dh used to make:

http://www.ynet.co.il/ency/1,7......html

My freehand translation-
1/2 cup oil
4 light green bell peppers, diced
2 hot peppers, minced
3 kg tomatoes, peeled and diced
8 cloves of garlic, crushed
salt and pepper
1 tsp sweet paprika

1. Heat the oil in a heavy pot. Add both types of pepper and saute for 10 minutes.
2. Add the tomatoes and garlic, and season to taste with salt, pepper, paprika, and sugar.
Cover the pot and cook 20 minutes on a high flame.
3. Lower the flame and continue to cook, covered (doesn't say for how long). Towards the end of cooking, remove the lid and continue to cook until the liquids have evaporated and the consistency is thick. Remove from flame and cool. Transfer to a container and refrigerate- serve the next day.

Amarante

Post Wed, Mar 09 2016, 8:30 am
Egyptian Truck Stop Kushary

Notes are Susan Feniger's and not mine.

Source: Susan Feniger - Susan Feniger's Street Food

MAKES 6 CUPS; SERVES 6 TO 8

I learned about this combination of lentils, rice, and pasta in Israel. I was living on a kibbutz outside of Tel Aviv at the end of my junior year in high school, and my friends and I took a week to travel around the country. With no money, we slept on the beaches in sleeping bags and got around by bus. It was at one of the bus stations that I first tasted this dish, which originated in Egypt. I love this method of browning pasta in butter after cooking it, which changes the texture of the pasta, making it firmer and creating a toasted wheat flavor that enhances the dish.

3 tablespoons canola oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups chopped white onions
1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed
¾ cup basmati rice
1 tablespoon ground cumin
Kosher salt
2½ cups vegetable stock or water
1 cup straight-cut macaroni (ditalini)
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon harissa
1 bunch fresh Italian parsley leaves, chopped

1 In a large saucepan set over medium-high heat, heat the canola oil and butter. Add the onions and cook until they start to caramelize, about 4 minutes. Add the lentils and rice, and toast, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes. Add the cumin and 1 tablespoon salt, and stir to combine. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes to toast the cumin. Then add the stock, reduce the heat to low, and simmer, uncovered, until the liquid has been absorbed and the mixture is starting to crackle and toast on the bottom, about 30 minutes. (You may need to stir the mixture occasionally to make sure that the rice and lentils don’t burn on the bottom of the pan. You will know that the mixture is done when the rice and lentils are tender and cooked through, but are not mushy or soft.) Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl and set it aside to cool at room temperature.

2 Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain well.

3 Heat a sauté pan over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the drained pasta and cook until it starts to crisp and brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, and add the harissa and a pinch of salt (or to taste).

4 Add the pasta and the chopped parsley to the rice mixture, and stir to combine. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics