Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Momofuku's Soy Sauce Eggs

Amarante

Post Wed, Mar 09 2016, 7:54 am
These were easy and a twist on plain hardboiled eggs. A good nosh to have in the fridge.

Momofuku's Soy Sauce Eggs

Makes 6 eggs

6 tablespoons warm water
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
3/4 cup soy sauce (we used low-sodium—if yours is regular strength, you might want to err on the side of shorter marination time)
6 large eggs
Maldon or other flaky salt, for serving
Black pepper, for serving

In a medium bowl, whisk together the water and sugar to dissolve the sugar, then stir in the sherry vinegar and soy sauce.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Carefully put the eggs into the boiling water and cook for exactly 6 minutes and 50 seconds, stirring slowly for the first 1 1/2 minutes to distribute the heat evenly.

Meanwhile, fill a large bowl with cold water and ice. When the eggs are done, transfer them to the ice bath.Once the eggs are cool (and the water isn't uncomfortably icy), peel them (in the water—this will help them keep a perfect exterior).

Transfer the eggs to the soy sauce mixture and marinate in the fridge for at least 2, and up to 6, hours, making sure they are completely submerged. If necessary, top the eggs with a small plate to ensure submersion.Remove the eggs from the sweet and salty solution. You can save the soy sauce mix for another round of eggs, if you wish.

The eggs will keep, refrigerated in a tightly sealed container, for up to a month.To serve, cut the eggs in half lengthwise and season with salt and pepper. Or Cool Hand Luke them to impress your friends.

debsey

Post Wed, Mar 09 2016, 8:05 am
Interesting. My DS loves salty food, so this might really work for him. Is there a substitute for the sherry vinegar? I don't have any and not really interested in purchasing. Would balsamic work as well?

Amarante

Post Wed, Mar 09 2016, 8:09 am
I think balsamic would work. I actually once bought sherry vinegar LOL but didn't really see that it made much of a difference in the result of the recipe - it was a gazpacho recipe that I make a lot. It was a bit milder than "regular" vinegar. I probably wouldn't use red wine vinegar but balsamic would work. Cider vinegar also as it's also mild and slightly sweet.

And I also once had an insane collection of mustards crowing my refrigerator shelf. LOL

Here's a suggestion that might more closely duplicate sherry vinegar: 1:1 cider vinegar/balsamic vinegar.

debsey

Post Wed, Mar 09 2016, 10:27 am
Thanks
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals