Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Resume help

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Mar 10 2016, 9:00 pm
I am at a dead end job and would like to look for a new one. My resume hasnt been touched in around five years. I need someone to help me make my resume look better. I am located in brooklyn. Anyone know any organizations that do this for free or ppl that do this for under 100$.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Mar 10 2016, 10:32 pm
I do this for people all the time (as a favor, not for $, I actually enjoy these things). If you want to take out your name, address, etc I can spruce it up for you via anonymous email.

Which field, btw?

tichellady

Post Fri, Mar 11 2016, 12:07 am
I am also happy to help for free.

imachossid

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 9:35 pm
Bumping up. Really need help with fixing up my resume. Haven't touched it for awhile. Wondering what the correct format is, do you specify the name of the person that you worked for or only place/ job, do you include references/ those peoples contact info, what kinds of skills can be written under skills other than languages, what kind of things do you write under the job, etc? Thanks in advance to anyone that can be of any help.

WhatFor

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 10:18 pm
imachossid wrote:
Bumping up. Really need help with fixing up my resume. Haven't touched it for awhile. Wondering what the correct format is, do you specify the name of the person that you worked for or only place/ job, do you include references/ those peoples contact info, what kinds of skills can be written under skills other than languages, what kind of things do you write under the job, etc? Thanks in advance to anyone that can be of any help.

I would not include references on a resume. If someone is interested, they will ask for references. My industry doesn't usually use a skills section since skills would be evident in education and experience, but in any case, I wouldn't include skills that have nothing to do with the job I'm looking for. Ideally you would fit everything on one page, but if you have a lot of experience, it may not be possible. Be concise. Delete anything that doesn't, by itself, add to your resume.
One more tip- when you attach it in an email, title it "Last name Resume". Recruiters often save resumes on their computer and get annoyed when they have to rename every resume that comes in. Anything that can get your foot through the door!

Here's how I would format.

All on top in center: Name in bold, next two lines your address (not bold but still center), and below that your cell phone number followed by your email on the same line.

Skip some spaces. Then on left

EDUCATION

School Attended, City, State
Degree earned, Month Year
Honors: List
Awards: List
Activities: List

(repeat education as necessary from most recent through earliest post-high school diploma.)

EXPERIENCE (You can be more specific for job applying to if you have a specialty, such as, INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY EXPERIENCE )

ABC Company, City, State
Job Title January 2010 - Present
Oversees x employees in performing blah blah blah; manages tra la la; directs bla bla projects to yadda yadda.... (a few lines, as long as each word counts)

XYZ Company, City, State
Job Title January 2000 - January 2010
Verb job duty description; verb job duty description, etc.

Repeat exp as necessary from college onward (unless your HS experience/internship is directly related to the job you're applying to) No need to put on experience from college-time if it really won't add and it's a short time period.

imachossid

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 10:44 pm
WhatFor wrote:
I would not include references on a resume. If someone is interested, they will ask for references. My industry doesn't usually use a skills section since skills would be evident in education and experience, but in any case, I wouldn't include skills that have nothing to do with the job I'm looking for. Ideally you would fit everything on one page, but if you have a lot of experience, it may not be possible. Be concise. Delete anything that doesn't, by itself, add to your resume.
One more tip- when you attach it in an email, title it "Last name Resume". Recruiters often save resumes on their computer and get annoyed when they have to rename every resume that comes in. Anything that can get your foot through the door!

Here's how I would format.

All on top in center: Name in bold, next two lines your address (not bold but still center), and below that your cell phone number followed by your email on the same line.

Skip some spaces. Then on left

EDUCATION

School Attended, City, State
Degree earned, Month Year
Honors: List
Awards: List
Activities: List

(repeat education as necessary from most recent through earliest post-high school diploma.)

EXPERIENCE (You can be more specific for job applying to if you have a specialty, such as, INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY EXPERIENCE )

ABC Company, City, State
Job Title January 2010 - Present
Oversees x employees in performing blah blah blah; manages tra la la; directs bla bla projects to yadda yadda.... (a few lines, as long as each word counts)

XYZ Company, City, State
Job Title January 2000 - January 2010
Verb job duty description; verb job duty description, etc.

Repeat exp as necessary from college onward (unless your HS experience/internship is directly related to the job you're applying to) No need to put on experience from college-time if it really won't add and it's a short time period.

Thank you. What about if you worked/ volunteered as a mothers helper for someone, do you put their name? Or do you just write mothers helper, years & job description?

WhatFor

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 10:57 pm
imachossid wrote:
Thank you. What about if you worked/ volunteered as a mothers helper for someone, do you put their name? Or do you just write mothers helper, years & job description?

I've never dealt with that on my resume, so I'm not really sure. If it was through a camp or agency, I might put that name as the business, rather than the family. Or I might just put the title, (such as Nanny or whatever) and then below that put the city, state and the year.
That said, a mother's helper position is usually something people do in High School (correct?) and I wouldn't necessarily include that unless:
1- You are seeking a position that relates directly to caring for children
2- You're very early in your career and you don't have a lot to put on. And even then, play it up or maybe leave it out regardless, depending on the field.

If you're trying to present yourself as a professional, including High School experience could undermine the message you're trying to send, but of course, that depends on the kind of job and environment you seek to work in.

But maybe other amothers with Mother's Helper experience can jump in.

imachossid

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 11:07 pm
WhatFor wrote:
I've never dealt with that on my resume, so I'm not really sure. If it was through a camp or agency, I might put that name as the business, rather than the family. Or I might just put the title, (such as Nanny or whatever) and then below that put the city, state and the year.
That said, a mother's helper position is usually something people do in High School (correct?) and I wouldn't necessarily include that unless:
1- You are seeking a position that relates directly to caring for children
2- You're very early in your career and you don't have a lot to put on. And even then, play it up or maybe leave it out regardless, depending on the field.

If you're trying to present yourself as a professional, including High School experience could undermine the message you're trying to send, but of course, that depends on the kind of job and environment you seek to work in.

But maybe other amothers with Mother's Helper experience can jump in.

Thank you. The type of position being sought is one that does directly deal with children. Something like a preschool teacher.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 12:04 am
imachossid wrote:

Skip the name. Use the latter.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 8:49 am
WhatFor wrote:

One more tip- when you attach it in an email, title it "Last name Resume". Recruiters often save resumes on their computer and get annoyed when they have to rename every resume that comes in.

Why wouldn't u put "full name resume". What if there's someone with the same last name as you?

WhatFor

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 9:41 am
You can if you think your name is common enough.

imachossid

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 5:22 pm
Bumping because I did my resume, and have another question. Wondering if it's necessary to have an objective on your resume, especially if you're emailing it can't you just right it in the subject line? Also wondering if sending a cover letter is necessary if not asked for it. Is a cover letter more important these days than an objective? A big thank you to anyone that can help me;)

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jun 30 2017, 5:32 pm
You don't have to put in an objective. You can put in a qualifications summary.

imachossid

Post Sat, Jul 01 2017, 9:35 pm
ra_mom wrote:
You don't have to put in an objective. You can put in a qualifications summary.

Where would I put in a qualifications summary? Do I need to put in a cover letter?

cm

Post Sat, Jul 01 2017, 10:14 pm
No, an objective is pointless (obviously, your objective is to be hired for this job) and takes up valuable space.

A cover letter is essential if you are submitting your resume directly to a particular person/department, rather than a human resources portal website. In general, it can be either in the body of the email or an attachment, but if any instructions are provided for your application submission, be sure to follow them exactly. In your cover letter, introduce yourself and briefly explain your interest in the position. Do not repeat everything on your resume, but do point out anything that makes you an especially strong candidate.

happy12

Post Sat, Jul 01 2017, 10:43 pm
What do you do if you have no work experience. I.e. recent college grad

cm

Post Sat, Jul 01 2017, 10:49 pm
happy12 wrote:
What do you do if you have no work experience. I.e. recent college grad

List volunteer work, internships, independent study projects and the like.

Be sure to include a section listing relevant coursework. If your GPA is exceptional, include it along with academic awards and honors.

Your college may have a career guidance office to help you, even after you graduate.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics