Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Natural "Medicine" for Meningitis - Tragically doesn't work
1  2  Next

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Mar 13 2016, 3:18 pm
http://injo.com/2016/03/555591.....itis/

I can't seem to get the article to cut and paste. Long story short, "natural parents" give herbs and stuff to toddler with meningitis, and the baby dies. Now they are claiming that they are being persecuted, and that it's a vast conspiracy to undermine their online herb business, or something.

Their blog and FB postings are pretty rambling and hard to follow, with lots of concern about how THEY are dealing, but not a whole lot of concern about their dead child. Plenty of nutcase narcissism to go around. They seem more determined than ever to "work for their cause." Rolling Eyes

More on the trial, here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/.....84501

Last edited by FranticFrummie on Sun, Mar 13 2016, 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

sourstix

Post Sun, Mar 13 2016, 3:20 pm
yeh I read it. and almost wanted to slap them in the face. you kidding you wanto heal meningitis with maple syrup? have pp gone nuts?!

I do think the govt. should get involved in this type of parenting and take such a child away and give them what is needed. I dont know if such people are capable of raising their own child. its so so sad.

sourstix

Post Sun, Mar 13 2016, 3:26 pm
bec of their crazy beliefs they will do whatever it takes to support their cause.

like the other thread. they become emotional and dont look for the facts and rational. thats why I do think the govt should take their kids away. they are not capable of making rational decisions.

where was the pediatrician in this?

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Mar 13 2016, 3:29 pm
I hope they lock them up and throw the key away. Murderers!

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Mar 13 2016, 3:29 pm
sourstix wrote:
where was the pediatrician in this?

"Lexie Vataman, who fills holistic prescriptions..."

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Mar 13 2016, 3:34 pm
gahhhh

Amarante

Post Sun, Mar 13 2016, 3:34 pm
Not familiar with the specifics but in most jurisdictions, it's child abuse to not give normal medical care. There have been prosecutions when a child has died and there have been a few cases where parents lost medical custody for refusing cancer treatment that had a high degree of success.

It gets sticky when the claim is made on religious grounds - Christian Scientists and Jehovahs Witnesses but there have been a few cases where the courts have decided in favor of the child in terms of providing treatment.

Of course it's difficult to police. One of the arguments against home schooling is that it enables abusive and/or cultish parents to keep their children under the radar as teachers or other people interacting with children who go to,school might spot abuse or at least have a child on their radar.

little_mage

Post Sun, Mar 13 2016, 3:35 pm
Here's another article about the case: https://www.sciencebasedmedici.....view/

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Mar 13 2016, 3:52 pm
little_mage wrote:
Here's another article about the case: https://www.sciencebasedmedici.....view/

Very thorough link, thanks.

I think what makes me the most angry, is that they don't show one ounce of concern that their child is dead. Their FB posts talk about "Beings of Love and Light" and being liberated from earthly bondage, so I guess they figure their child just moved onto another plane of enlightenment. No biggie, it's all good, right?

As for the parents, it's all me, me, me. They love to talk about how THEY are being persecuted, THEY are so stressed, THEY are having trouble raising money, THEIR business is suffering. It's all about them and their "feelings". Puke

mammala120

Post Sun, Mar 13 2016, 4:25 pm
Sick. Parents are responsible.

little_mage

Post Sun, Mar 13 2016, 6:42 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Very thorough link, thanks.

I think what makes me the most angry, is that they don't show one ounce of concern that their child is dead. Their FB posts talk about "Beings of Love and Light" and being liberated from earthly bondage, so I guess they figure their child just moved onto another plane of enlightenment. No biggie, it's all good, right?

As for the parents, it's all me, me, me. They love to talk about how THEY are being persecuted, THEY are so stressed, THEY are having trouble raising money, THEIR business is suffering. It's all about them and their "feelings". Puke

The whole site is great.

sourstix

Post Sun, Mar 13 2016, 7:50 pm
maybe this is an eyeopener to all these "natural parenting" parents that there is a time and a place for everything.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Mar 14 2016, 9:52 am
sourstix wrote:
maybe this is an eyeopener to all these "natural parenting" parents that there is a time and a place for everything.
Maybe this is an eye-opener for all you that are anti - anti-vaxxers that there are crazy people out there. Hey! Duh...

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Mar 14 2016, 10:31 am
I don't know the specifics of this case. I have no idea who these people are and what remedies they used. I have no idea if there are or are not cases of meningitis that were in fact cured without using modern western medicine. But so long as there are also cases of children dying from meningitis even with hospital treatment (again, I have no idea, but I'd guess yes), I don't know that it's appropriate to instantly jump to child abuse here.

LittleDucky

Post Mon, Mar 14 2016, 10:41 am
amother wrote:
I don't know the specifics of this case. I have no idea who these people are and what remedies they used. I have no idea if there are or are not cases of meningitis that were in fact cured without using modern western medicine. But so long as there are also cases of children dying from meningitis even with hospital treatment (again, I have no idea, but I'd guess yes), I don't know that it's appropriate to instantly jump to child abuse here.

However it is child neglect at the very least. Their child was facing a deadly illness. The parents decided to not use a known cure that has a high success rate. (If started early, it has at least a 90% cure rate). They used "treatments" that have never been seen, in scientific studies, to cure meningitis. At all. Possibly to enhance their own business.

There is a difference if CV a child has cancer and the parents refuse any scientific treatment from the start, especially when there is a high cure rate, and the sad cases where the child says "no more" when treatment has failed and just adds pain.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Mar 14 2016, 10:43 am
amother wrote:

Here's another example using your logic:

There are in fact children that do not die after being pushed down the stairs by their parents, therefore, I wouldn't be so fast to call pushing children down stairs abuse.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Mar 14 2016, 10:47 am
LittleDucky wrote:
However it is child neglect at the very least. Their child was facing a deadly illness. The parents decided to not use a known cure that has a high success rate. (If started early, it has at least a 90% cure rate). They used "treatments" that have never been seen, in scientific studies, to cure meningitis. At all. Possibly to enhance their own business.

There is a difference if CV a child has cancer and the parents refuse any scientific treatment from the start, especially when there is a high cure rate, and the sad cases where the child says "no more" when treatment has failed and just adds pain.

I have no idea if this is true. And personally, as much as I am into homeopathy and natural cures, if my child was not responding to whatever natural remedies I gave, you better believe I'd rush him to the hospital and let them pump him full of whatever they wanted to. But I have a hard time judging these parents unless I know there is in fact no success in curing meningitis through natural remedies. Just because we don't know of any studies doesn't mean there aren't possibly cases and validity.

LittleDucky

Post Mon, Mar 14 2016, 10:53 am
amother wrote:
I have no idea if this is true. And personally, as much as I am into homeopathy and natural cures, if my child was not responding to whatever natural remedies I gave, you better believe I'd rush him to the hospital and let them pump him full of whatever they wanted to. But I have a hard time judging these parents unless I know there is in fact no success in curing meningitis through natural remedies. Just because we don't know of any studies doesn't mean there aren't possibly cases and validity.

We are not talking about an experimental protocol here!! Or the flu. It's about meningitis which is deadly and antibiotics that have saved millions of lives!!

I would compare it to finding out a kid has cancer and just giving them herbs and tea with honey to make them better. Even "experimental drugs" have been through rounds of testing to prove some measurable level of effectiveness to be even allowed to be given to humans.

They had ulterior motives- their home business. Selling home remedies. If found out that they went to an actual doctor, the business probably wouldn't do so well...

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Mar 14 2016, 11:35 am
I thought it was retracted that they had a home business, and rather he worked for a company, not ran it?
Anyway, it looks to me that the most major mistake was in thinking it was viral, not bacterial meningitis, in which case antibiotics wouldn't have helped.
I am seeing only speculation it was bacterial, but I'm not seeing confirmation. Was it bacterial?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Mar 14 2016, 12:18 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I thought it was retracted that they had a home business, and rather he worked for a company, not ran it?
Anyway, it looks to me that the most major mistake was in thinking it was viral, not bacterial meningitis, in which case antibiotics wouldn't have helped.
I am seeing only speculation it was bacterial, but I'm not seeing confirmation. Was it bacterial?

What's the difference? When a baby is that sick you take him to the doctor or hospital.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics