Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Healthy veggie dishes make ahead ( no kuggles)

mamamia1

Post Mon, Mar 14 2016, 2:55 pm
Looking for healthy side veggie dishes I can make ahead
( no kuggles)
I also need advice how to freeze / reheat etc
Thanks

Now I do everything fresh and it's just too challenging
TIA

Faigy86

Post Mon, Mar 14 2016, 3:00 pm
Ratatouille works well frozen. I just reheat in the oven, on the stove-top or even in the microwave.

If you freeze sliced zucchini with saute'd onions and/or mushrooms in tomato sauce, you can just stick it into the oven. I don't know if I would pre-cook the zucchini, they might get too mushy.

Also, frozen green-beans can be spiced and roasted with only minutes of prep time.

tichellady

Post Mon, Mar 14 2016, 3:26 pm
Honestly I don't think most veggie dishes freeze well. I find that raw zoodles can last in the fridge for a few days before you roast them. Puréed soups freeze ok. I try to buy veggies that require minimal cutting in order to save time ( haricot verts just go straight into the oven for roasting, I buy steamed beets that can be made into salad, I can wash and cut sweet potatoes in half pretty quickly, corn is easy to make especially if you buy it cleaned. What do you like to make? Maybe we can help you figure out a way to make it quicker?

mamamia1

Post Mon, Mar 14 2016, 3:48 pm
Thanks
That's been helpful
You are right my veggie dishes don't take that long fresh - except I usually roast them so that takes time and supervision time on Friday that I'm trying to avoid
maybe I should look into making ahead the other courses.
I tend to make everything Friday. I started cleaning and marinating chicken on Thursday that's a big help
If I roasted veggies day before how would I heat it
Oh - we don't use microwave.

Tichellady - do you get haricot verts fresh/ frozen / canned - would love recipe and directions? TIA
FAIGY86 love your idea of freezing sliced fresh zucchini s
Healthy cooking is definitely more challenging and time consuming
Thanks again
Maybe I should try the heathy kugel route

tichellady

Post Mon, Mar 14 2016, 3:59 pm
I typically do all my cooking on Thursday and make salads fresh on Shabbos. Veggies reheat fine and many are good room temperature. I buy haricot verts from trader joes, roast at 450 with a bit of oil salt and pepper for about 15 minutes ( stir once or twice) and add minced garlic at the end. You can add soy sauce too. You can buy cubed squash at trader joes and snap peas which are good raw or with a ginger sesame dressing or snow peas which can be roasted for a few minutes with sesame oil. I also like cooking their frozen artichoke hearts. Honestly I don't think kugel is quicker or easier nor is it healthy. You don't need that many vegetables for a meal if you make a nice amount you can serve one veggie and one salad.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 14 2016, 4:04 pm
Very few wholesome vegetable dishes taste good after they've been frozen and reheated.
I was going to suggest that you can use store bought frozen veggies and steam them in the oven fresh or roast them, but I see you're looking for ideas that will be ready by the time you come home on Friday.
My suggestion is that a day or two in advance you prepare healthful vegetable dishes that store well in the fridge and are served cold or at room temperature.

(cold)
broccoli salad
cauliflower to make a mock potato salad
roasted beet salad
lemon dill carrot salad

(room temp)
zucchini spaghetti salad
bruschetta zucchini
roasted green beans
roasted asparagus

Or try a root vegetable dish in the crockpot that you turn on Friday morning and is ready when you come home.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Mar 14 2016, 5:27 pm
You can make marinated vegetable salads on Thursday. They're often better when made ahead.

myself

Post Mon, Mar 14 2016, 5:35 pm
I've had good results with both cabbage and zucchini in tomato sauce. You might want to try that one week and see for yourself if that works for you.

mamamia1

Post Mon, Mar 14 2016, 6:48 pm
thanks so much. Everyone tichellady will try those you suggested.

Would also love these recipes and instructions

Ra mom:

broccoli salad
zucchini spaghetti salad
bruschetta zucchini
roasted green beans
roasted asparagus

a root vegetable dish in the crockpot that you turn on Friday morning and is ready when you come home.

Rutabaga; marinated veggie salad

Myself: the squash/ cabbage in tomato sauce

Thanks for answering

yogabird

Post Mon, Mar 14 2016, 7:00 pm
I've reheated frozen roasted veggies and they tasted fine. A little soggy maybe, but entirely edible. I usually do a mix of colorful peppers, string beans, baby carrots, red onion, green and yellow zucchini.

Raisin

Post Mon, Mar 14 2016, 7:21 pm
you can cut up veggies on thursday night and leave soaking in water (if needed). You can probably also toss in olive oil and spices ready to roast - I've seen butternut squash sold in the supermarket like that. Then you just have to pop into the oven.

What about cauliflower fried rice? That should reheat well. (make the same way as regular fried rice, just use cauliflower rice. Add mushrooms, snap peas etc as desired)

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 14 2016, 8:16 pm
mamamia1 wrote:

Ra mom:

broccoli salad
zucchini spaghetti salad
bruschetta zucchini
roasted green beans
roasted asparagus

a root vegetable dish in the crockpot that you turn on Friday morning and is ready when you come home.

broccoli salad
1 pound frozen broccoli
craisins
toasted sliced almonds
red onion, sliced
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons vinegar
3 tablespoons sugar

Place frozen cauliflower in a colander over the sink and pour a full kettle of boiling water over it to steam the broccoli while leaving it crisp. Once fully drained, transfer to a large bowl and add craisins, almonds and onion.
Combine the mayo, vinegar and sugar in a jar. Cover and shake until smooth and creamy. Pour over broccoli salad and toss to coat.

Steam small cut cauliflower florets. Use instead of potato in your favorite potato salad recipe.

zucchini spaghetti salad
· 2 medium zucchini, peeled and julienned with julienne peeler
· 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided 
· 2-3 mini onions, sliced into thin rings 
· 1 small garlic clove, very thinly sliced 
· 1 cup grape tomatoes (5 oz.), halved 
· 2 cups mushrooms (5 oz.), thinly sliced 
· kosher salt and coarse black pepper, to taste 

If you have time, lay out the zucchini strands and allow to dry out over 2 layers of paper towels.
n a large non-stick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the zucchini strands until just heated through and coated with oil, about 2 minutes, in batches as necessary. Set aside. 
In the same pan, add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and sauté the onion and garlic until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and sauté another 3 minutes. Then add the grape tomatoes for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper to taste. 
Season the zucchini with kosher salt, add the rest of the vegetables and toss lightly with tongs. 
Serve at room temperature. 

bruschetta zucchini
• 2 small zucchini, trimmed and cut in half lengthwise
• 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided 
• 1 garlic clove, crushed 
• 2 cups grape tomatoes, quartered 
• 1/2 small red onion, finely diced 
• 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar 
• 1/2 tsp dried basil 
• kosher salt and coarse black pepper, to taste 

Use a spoon to scrape out the zucchini seeds of each zucchini half, making 4 long canoe-like boats. 
Brush the zucchini with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Season with crushed garlic. 
Arrange zucchini on a baking sheet, and bake uncovered in oven preheated to 400 for 20 minutes. 
In the meantime, toss together the quartered grape tomatoes, finely diced red onion, 2 tablespoons olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and basil. Season generously with salt and pepper to taste. 
Remove zucchini boats from the oven, and arrange on 4 serving plates. Top with tomato mixture and serve. 

roasted green beans
Toss trimmed green beans with olive oil. Spread out in one even layer on cookie sheet. Roast at 400 for 8 minutes. Toss with crush garlic and salt.
Leave on counter to bring to room temperature before serving. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.

roasted asparagus
Toss trimmed asparagus with olive oil and crushed garlic. Spread out in one even layer on cookie sheet. Roast at 400 for 18 minutes.

1 large beet
1 large red onion
2 medium sweet potatoes
1 cup baby carrots
2 large parsnips
1 acorn squash
1/2 cup orange juice
3 tablespoons duck sauce
1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
1/4 teaspoon thyme and rosemary, crumbled

Peel and cut vegetables into 1" cubes. Toss all ingredients together in the slow cooker. Cover and cook OK Hugh for 4.5 hours. (you can set a timer to have the crockpot turn off after 4.5 hours if you are not home.)

Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, Mar 14 2016, 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

mamamia1

Post Mon, Mar 14 2016, 8:27 pm
ra-mom,
THANK YOU SO SO MUCH.
I really appreciate you taking the time to type
That all in for me.
Will print out for myself with the other posters tips too.
Tizku lemitzvot
THANK YOU !!!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 14 2016, 8:31 pm
Good luck and let you know how it works out for you.

shevi82

Post Tue, Mar 15 2016, 4:57 am
ra-mom thanks for the great recipes!
Just wanted to add that I freeze dips- such as techina, eggplant, matbucha.
I make a large batch and take out a container from the freezer Friday afternoon.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Mar 15 2016, 5:09 am
Sauté an onion. Sprinkle in some ginger and garlic (or sauté garlic and red peppers too). Put it in the fridge. Right before Shabbos, pour some frozen green beans into a pan and mix the onions in. Add some soy sauce and put it on the Blech in a warm, not hot place. The green beans end up green and crunchy, not brown and wilted like if they were heated and covered earlier.
Sprinkle some sesame seeds to be fancy.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 9:37 am
Thanks ramom and everyone for all the recipes. Im hoping to try a bunch for Purim.
My question is when can I make those side dishes. - is tomorrow too early?
. I am trying so hard to figure out how to make things ahead of time and reheat rather than leave to Friday/ Purim.
If I made these veggie dishes - tomorrow is that OK ? How to reheat?

And someone mentioned marinated veggies would love that recipe.

Thanks

Feeling overwhelmed
But I'm proud I made some of the main s( they're in freezer)

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 10:09 am
amother wrote:
Thanks ramom and everyone for all the recipes. Im hoping to try a bunch for Purim.
My question is when can I make those side dishes. - is tomorrow too early?
. I am trying so hard to figure out how to make things ahead of time and reheat rather than leave to Friday/ Purim.
If I made these veggie dishes - tomorrow is that OK ? How to reheat?

And someone mentioned marinated veggies would love that recipe.

Thanks

Feeling overwhelmed
But I'm proud I made some of the main s( they're in freezer)

You can make this colorful marinated salad early for purim and shabbos.
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....84835

And you can make the other vegetables tomorrow as it's 2 days in advance for purim. (Sometimes its better to cut, wash trim all vegetables 2 days before and leave ready on baking pan in fridge, then roast the next day so it's really made the day before. But only if it doesn't stretch you thin.)
If you make the vegetables tomorrow will only be good for purim, not for shabbos.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 10:19 am
ra_mom wrote:
You can make this colorful marinated salad early for purim and shabbos.
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....84835

And you can make the other vegetables tomorrow as it's 2 days in advance for purim. (Sometimes its better to cut, wash trim all vegetables 2 days before and leave ready on baking pan in fridge, then roast the next day so it's really made the day before. But only if it doesn't stretch you thin.)
If you make the vegetables tomorrow will only be good for purim, not for shabbos.

THANKS SO MUCH
you have no idea what a chessed writing that for me is.

Purim sameach!!!
Thanks again

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 11:38 am
Np! You can use natural honey instead of sugar if you'd like.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking