Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Is it rude to ask someone who they voted for?
Previous  1  2

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 6:13 am
shoshanim999 wrote:
For the most part its rude with the exception of a few close friends. I know when my best friend gets her period, when she goes to the mikva, when she's in a bad mood and when she's in a fight with her husband. With someone like that I can ask who did you vote for. Otherwise it's rude.

As a side note, it's generally more acceptable to discuss those issues than you who voted for. Who you voted for is personal. Even when someone is very vocal about who they support, asking who they voted for is improper. It's inappropriate to ask anyone who they voted for.. that includes immediately family and best friends.

youngishbear

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 6:29 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
As a side note, it's generally more acceptable to discuss those issues than you who voted for. Who you voted for is personal. Even when someone is very vocal about who they support, asking who they voted for is improper. It's inappropriate to ask anyone who they voted for.. that includes immediately family and best friends.

Um seriously? Fights with her husband is less personal than who she voted for?
I think this is (sub)cultural.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 6:43 am
It's very personal like how much you make

marina

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 7:22 am
Perhaps people's reaction to the answer can be rude, but I don't find the question rude at all.

Coffee Addict

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 7:42 am
I think it's rather inappropriate than rude.

sprayonlove

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 11:37 am
I don't think it's rude honestly. But I live in Israel where it is perfectly acceptable and everyone talks about who they are voting for. If you don't want to say, dont share and change the subject.

heidi

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 11:47 am
sprayonlove wrote:
I don't think it's rude honestly. But I live in Israel where it is perfectly acceptable and everyone talks about who they are voting for. If you don't want to say, dont share and change the subject.

Or say what I did when asked by an Israeli co worker who I voted for-- "and what's your bra size?'

sprayonlove

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 12:05 pm
heidi wrote:
Or say what I did when asked by an Israeli co worker who I voted for-- "and what's your bra size?'

Lol! Actually this especially makes me laugh because even your question would be acceptable here lol.

joy613

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 7:25 pm
Interesting thread. And responses. I would never have known that this is a rude or personal question to ask.
I totally disagree, but I see I'm outnumbered.
I guess it's good I'm reading this so I know to refrain from asking peoplewho they voted for.

Can someone explain why this question is so personal/rude/inappropriate?
Would you also find it rude if someone asks what party you belong to? Or any other political question.

GAP

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 1:25 pm
I do think it's rude to ask directly, but it's ok if you're discussing the candidates and naturally you each volunteer to say who you're voting for as part of the discussion without being asked. It is also rude to ask someone directly which political party they belong to. Politics is one of those touchy personal topics that people steer clear of in certain settings (religion is another one).

heidi

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 10:52 pm
sprayonlove wrote:
Lol! Actually this especially makes me laugh because even your question would be acceptable here lol.

She got the point and was quite shocked that I felt that being asked who I voted for was on par with such a personal question shock shock

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 3:52 am
yes. if you want you can tell someone who you voted for and if they chime in thats another story.

rachel6543

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 6:57 am
In my opinion, this is a rude question.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette