Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Camp Acheinu in Queens?

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 11:22 am
Does anyone know about Camp Acheinu in Kew Gardens, Queens? I know there are boy and girl campers, but is it a truly coed camp, or are they separated? How does it work in terms of swim? Would you recommend it for a BY girl from a JPF family?
TIA

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 11:24 am
I worked there for many summers as a preschool morah. Ill write more when I can. Short answer - if she is young, its fine. Older, not so much. Go with camp Keshet at Bnos Malka. Much cheaper and better IMO.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 11:28 am
DD is 9, is that what you meant by older? I would *greatly* appreciate more info when you have time! Camp Keshet is not in the running because I don't think she'd know a single girl who goes there, from speaking to her friends' mothers. Thank you!!!

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 11:55 am
My son is around that age and he will be going there again for his (4th?) summer. He likes it a lot. The swimming is very good and he learned how to swim. They also offer private swim lessons at night once a week which he LOVEs and it's a big draw for him. That being said, most of his friends have moved on to a more "sporty" camp like Simcha Day Camp. He doesn't like sports so he would prefer to stay with the familiar and not move on just yet.

My daughter is younger and went last summer but I just wasn't thrilled. She didn't have so many friends there and it wasn't as fabulous as it was for my son. This year I am IY"H sending her to Camp Chazak which is where her friends are going.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 1:26 pm
My DD has friends going to both Acheinu and Chazak, so that is definitely in the running for us.

amother
Green

Post Fri, Jul 22 2016, 10:07 am
My kids have been going for the last number years and they love it!!! The camp is so well run and organized. Whenever an issue came up it was dealt with quickly and effectively. I have heard horror stories from the other camps because of the lack of supervision.

The best part is all my kids get picked up together and my older son can keep an eye on my little daughter.

The program is amazing with lots of shows and trips for all the ages. All my kids have really learned to swim.

The camp is not coed at all. I am in the camp regularly and I have seen a shift in the last few years towards the right. This year they put the older girls on a separate campus. My daughters have a nice group of friends from Bais Yaakov of queens and have made new friends from BY Lower East Side.

Overall we've been very happy!! We are having an amazing summer!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children