Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How to fix a messed up sleep schedule?

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 11:20 pm
Help! Ever since we changed the clock, my 1 year old has not gone to sleep before ten. I try to get her to nap earlier but she won't fall asleep until the time she's used to. How can I fix her sleep schedule?

tigerwife

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 1:06 am
No advice but empathy! My baby is doing the same thing. She also skips her morning nap and then falls asleep late afternoon (I don't nap her then on purpose but she literally can't keep her eyes open). Tonight she only fell asleep after 9:30 and only when I rocked her in my arms- until now she would go straight to sleep as soon as I placed her in her crib! Hope it doesn't take too long to re-adjust...

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 9:04 am
tigerwife wrote:
No advice but empathy! My baby is doing the same thing. She also skips her morning nap and then falls asleep late afternoon (I don't nap her then on purpose but she literally can't keep her eyes open).

That's what's happening here Confused And if she does fall asleep in the morning, she wakes up 3-5 minutes later and refuses to go back to sleep.

twogees

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 11:29 am
it willtake a while for kids bodies to get used to the time change. try to let her get a new scheduale or put her in at times you want her to sleep for a few days and see if that works-ex morning nap at 11 and wake up at 1. or whatever times you want........(my baby before the time change woke up about 7:30/8 slept from 10:30-12 and then from 2/2:30-3:30/4 and went to sleep for the night at about 7:30/8...but since the change its been the same morning nap and a nap at 3:30/4 for an hour (cuz thats all I will let him sleep so hes not going to sleep at 10:30/11) and then hes ready for sleep again at about 8/8:30 sometimes 9 but hes in bed at 8:30 the latest even if he talks to himself.....)

busydev

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 12:18 pm
Wake her up in the morning when you want her to wake up. (Time that she used to) also wake her from naps when she used to wake up or by 2 hours etc. It may take a few days but that's what I found worked best.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 1:00 pm
busydev wrote:
Wake her up in the morning when you want her to wake up. (Time that she used to) also wake her from naps when she used to wake up or by 2 hours etc. It may take a few days but that's what I found worked best.

She is waking up the same time she used to so she's fussy all morning because she didn't sleep enough but refuses to take a nap so when she finally takes an afternoon nap I can't bring myself to wake her up. (Sorry, that was a really long run-on sentence. I'll just blame my lack of sleep for any poor grammar for now)

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 8:49 pm
Any more tips? I got her to nap a little earlier today but she is still wide awake

tigerwife

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 8:59 pm
Darling woke up on time today, skipped her morning nap, and then I did my best to keep her up until 8, her usual bedtime. We played outside a lot- thank goodness it was nice out. She fell asleep right away, and I'm hoping she'll sleep through the night (some people go crazy when they miss their naps and then can't sleep at night either).

Would you try the same? Or wait till tomorrow and I'll give you the run down on how our night went Smile .

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 9:29 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Darling woke up on time today, skipped her morning nap, and then I did my best to keep her up until 8, her usual bedtime. We played outside a lot- thank goodness it was nice out. She fell asleep right away, and I'm hoping she'll sleep through the night (some people go crazy when they miss their naps and then can't sleep at night either).

Would you try the same? Or wait till tomorrow and I'll give you the run down on how our night went Smile .

Okay, so no nap at all?
We're eating out tomorrow night and I don't want her to be a monster. I'll try it Shabbos or Sunday if it goes well for you.

tigerwife

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 9:34 pm
amother wrote:
Okay, so no nap at all?
We're eating out tomorrow night and I don't want her to be a monster. I'll try it Shabbos or Sunday if it goes well for you.

No nap at all.

After all that, I'm going away for Shabbos, and she sleeps terribly in strange cribs 😁 So I will probably be starting from scratch on Sunday as well.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 10:01 pm
tigerwife wrote:
No nap at all.

After all that, I'm going away for Shabbos, and she sleeps terribly in strange cribs 😁 So I will probably be starting from scratch on Sunday as well.

That sounds exhausting

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 12:57 pm
Tigerwife, how did it go last night? Did she sleep?

tigerwife

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 2:10 pm
She actually slept through the night and woke up around 8:30, which is great for us!

Her babysitter said she napped for an hour this morning. I'm in the car now and she fell asleep again but I should arrive in less than an hour, so hopefully her 'second nap' won't be longer than 1 hour total. After that, hoping to keep her up until 8 again tonight (and hoping she actually goes to sleep then, or at least before 9).

So yes, I would definitely advise you to try waking your baby at the usual time and keep him from napping all day, and then try putting him to bed on time. Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics