Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
The best thing that could have happened while living in EY
1  2  3  Next

Tadam

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 12:59 pm
Mrs. Kitov who runs the yachad tours and kitov sachra seminary opened a seminary style program for married ladies. YAY!! no more boredom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! boredom was my biggest enemy here. and now, I'm busy and loving every second.
the best part -- she doesn't charge you a penny!(she gets funding)
and it's a beautiful group, with Americans, Europeans Brazilians and Australians, all in a fun and inspirational environment. THIS IS REALLY AMAZING!
My first year here I was sure I'll last only till the end of the year.... well, having what to do definitely changed my mind about leaving back to the states. What was your boredom situation when you first arrived?

Maryann

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 1:18 pm
Yes I love chana kitov she has the most amazing programs.... recommend to everyone

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 2:48 am
No boredom over here when I first arrived in Israel Smile
I went straight to Ulpan and started working. And just kept on working and living.
Ive been here just over 13 years.

cityofgold

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 2:51 am
Never been bored either, but I would have loved a built-in way to make friends Smile
Because I certainly was lonely.

Roots

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 4:38 am
I wish I had known about that when I lived in jerusalem. I was pretty lonely .

(I did go to the yad eliezer warehouse a few times and helped them pack boxes for needy people. it was actually fun and a big mitzvah.)

Tadam

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 6:35 am
oh - I forgot to mention the friends part --
I came here having NO ONE!!! I knew no one, had not relatives etc.
and suddenly - I am walking Jerusalem streets and I know SO many people!! I made so many friends here, and also, I got help and tips of managing life in israel, from bituach leumi stuff to kitchen stuf... lovely!

stillgrowing

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 8:31 am
I gave birth and ran into an old friend of mine on the maternity floor. Her kallah teacher was akso giving birth at the same time. The three of us had a lovely Shobbas together. Only in Israel do you go to give birth and end up running into someone you knowb

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 11:04 am
We are a tiny town, but we have SO much going on here!

Ulpan
Women's Tanya classes
Jewish anglo book club
ESRA
Go North N b'N
Rosh Chodesh luncheons
Yom Tov parties

I can't keep up with it all. Very Happy

heidi

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 11:10 am
Tadam wrote:
Mrs. Kitov who runs the yachad tours and kitov sachra seminary opened a seminary style program for married ladies. YAY!! no more boredom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! boredom was my biggest enemy here. and now, I'm busy and loving every second.

So confused-- married women are taking classes and going on trips?
Aren't most of the people this would appeal to supporting a husband in kollel?
Are you doing this all day every day?

sequoia

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 11:14 am
heidi wrote:

Parents are paying for the entire thing. No one is working.

HonesttoGod

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 12:32 pm
heidi wrote:

The girls who do this either have working husbands or parents supporting them.
The ones that need a job go straight out to get one. (edited to add it is not so easy for a lot of these girls to find jobs. They all move to one or two concentrated areas and there are not enough jobs for all of them).

I also know a lot of girls who work American hours so most of the day they are bored but then they work from 5 pm till 12 am they are working.

LiLIsraeli

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 1:06 pm
stillgrowing wrote:
I gave birth and ran into an old friend of mine on the maternity floor. Her kallah teacher was akso giving birth at the same time. The three of us had a lovely Shobbas together. Only in Israel do you go to give birth and end up running into someone you knowb

That doesn't happen only in Israel... I gave birth in NY and bumped into a second cousin who gave birth the day before me!

Also, boredom is a real problem for American kollel wives who can't work and don't have children yet. When I lived in Israel I was in Touro so I didn't have that problem, but I know others who did.

simchat

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 1:14 pm
stillgrowing wrote:

That sounds lovely, but not limited to Israel. I gave birth 3 times (not in Israel) and each time there were people I knew there at the same time. Last time, the other girl's family kept us supplied with an abundance of shabbos food and company.

My mother, in a completely different country, ended up in the bed next to our next door neighbour.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 4:40 am
heidi wrote:
I was wondering this too. To the OP, tadam, what population is this geared to? And shouldnt someone who is planning on living some place shouldnt you go to work?
Im really not getting who this is for?

DrMom

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 4:54 am
Tadam wrote:
the best part -- she doesn't charge you a penny!(she gets funding)
and it's a beautiful group, with Americans, Europeans Brazilians and Australians, all in a fun and inspirational environment. THIS IS REALLY AMAZING!
My first year here I was sure I'll last only till the end of the year.... well, having what to do definitely changed my mind about leaving back to the states. What was your boredom situation when you first arrived?

If you are bored, you can come to my apartment and help me clean for Pesach.

m in Israel

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 4:58 am
DrMom wrote:
If you are bored, you can come to my apartment and help me clean for Pesach.

Or mine! Although at this point, maybe you can just help me cook for Purim. . .next week we'll start Pesach cleaning for real, hopefully.

But I guess there is a population of people who are young without too many family responsibilities and who have enough money that they don't need to work. It's definitely not my circle of acquaintances (I don't travel in rich enough circles Smile ), but I could understand how someone in that situation would be bored, wherever they live. I'm not sure why it is connected to living in Israel, except that is where the program described in the OP happens to be. I'm a bit confused as to why OP thought moving back to the States would change anything, though. What would she have to do in the U.S. that she doesn't have to do here?

shalhevet

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 6:07 am
m in Israel wrote:
Or mine! Although at this point, maybe you can just help me cook for Purim. . .next week we'll start Pesach cleaning for real, hopefully.

But I guess there is a population of people who are young without too many family responsibilities and who have enough money that they don't need to work. It's definitely not my circle of acquaintances (I don't travel in rich enough circles Smile ), but I could understand how someone in that situation would be bored, wherever they live. I'm not sure why it is connected to living in Israel, except that is where the program described in the OP happens to be. I'm a bit confused as to why OP thought moving back to the States would change anything, though. What would she have to do in the U.S. that she doesn't have to do here?

She would be helping her mother clean for Pesach.*

In the US she could go shopping.

* If her parents can afford to support a couple in Yerushalayim with neither working, her mother probably doesn't clean for Pesach either.

ora_43

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 6:29 am
m in Israel wrote:
I'm a bit confused as to why OP thought moving back to the States would change anything, though. What would she have to do in the U.S. that she doesn't have to do here?

I'm assuming OP is not an Israeli citizen, and is just here because her dh is in kollel or something similar. Being here only as a year, for a non-citizen, means options are pretty limited when it comes to work and education. Even if she speaks fluent Hebrew, which most Americans spending a year here don't.

eta: this is really a response to "why aren't these women working" posts in general. As a previous poster said, if women in that situation (non-citizen, non-Hebrew speaker, temporary resident) are working, they're often working American hours anyway.

m in Israel

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 6:44 am
ora_43 wrote:
I'm assuming OP is not an Israeli citizen, and is just here because her dh is in kollel or something similar. Being here only as a year, for a non-citizen, means options are pretty limited when it comes to work and education. Even if she speaks fluent Hebrew, which most Americans spending a year here don't.

eta: this is really a response to "why aren't these women working" posts in general. As a previous poster said, if women in that situation (non-citizen, non-Hebrew speaker, temporary resident) are working, they're often working American hours anyway.

I hear that, but it doesn't sound like she was planning on being here for a year only -- she specifically said that it was only because of this boredom that she was considering going back to the states, and when she found this program she changed her mind. If they were planning on going back after a year anyway I can't see how a program would make a difference. I do understand what you are saying that she may have more educational or work options in the U.S. due to language or citizenship/visa issues.

newmommy:)

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 6:47 am
in america you ususally have a car, family and friends. those things keep you occupied.
here you have no family, no car, no friends (I mean, you have to make new ones) your newly married, ur husabnd is out learning all day - by now I'm busy with my kids and my part time job. but at the beginning I was pregnancy naseous, lonely and BORED. and I was working, but like other said in the afternoon.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics