Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
The best thing that could have happened while living in EY
Previous  1  2  3  Next

newmommy:)

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 6:47 am
but by the way - if anyone's bored you can come help me too SmileSmile I'd also make for a nice friend lol

m in Israel

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 6:58 am
newmommy:) wrote:
in america you ususally have a car, family and friends. those things keep you occupied.
here you have no family, no car, no friends (I mean, you have to make new ones) your newly married, ur husabnd is out learning all day - by now I'm busy with my kids and my part time job. but at the beginning I was pregnancy naseous, lonely and BORED. and I was working, but like other said in the afternoon.

I grew up OOT -- most of my friends who got married moved to a different city after marriage -- so they were not near their family and old friends anyway. I assume most girls who marry a boy who is "out learning all day" move to where his yeshiva is located, so unless you are from Lakewood Wink chances are you have to make new friends and are leaving family. I still don't get why Israel is so different (except like ora said with the language and logisitic issues). And even the car issue -- I'm not sure why that helps so much. If you are bored and have free time, why can't you take a bus where you need to go? (Cars make things much easier when shlepping kids or when you're in a rush, but that doesn't seem to be what is happening here).

Obviously there must be a demand for this is the program is going and has people. I just find it interesting. I'm also curious if OP works for this program or not. . .

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 7:11 am
m in Israel wrote:
I grew up OOT -- most of my friends who got married moved to a different city after marriage -- so they were not near their family and old friends anyway. I assume most girls who marry a boy who is "out learning all day" move to where his yeshiva is located, so unless you are from Lakewood Wink chances are you have to make new friends and are leaving family. I still don't get why Israel is so different (except like ora said with the language and logisitic issues). And even the car issue -- I'm not sure why that helps so much. If you are bored and have free time, why can't you take a bus where you need to go? (Cars make things much easier when shlepping kids or when you're in a rush, but that doesn't seem to be what is happening here).

Obviously there must be a demand for this is the program is going and has people. I just find it interesting. I'm also curious if OP works for this program or not. . .
Thumbs Up

DrMom

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 7:28 am
newmommy:) wrote:
in america you ususally have a car, family and friends. those things keep you occupied.
here you have no family, no car, no friends (I mean, you have to make new ones) your newly married, ur husabnd is out learning all day - by now I'm busy with my kids and my part time job. but at the beginning I was pregnancy naseous, lonely and BORED. and I was working, but like other said in the afternoon.

If you don't have kids yet, you can plan daytrips for yourself. There is lots to see in E"Y.

(Not trying to denigrate the shiur option that the OP is plugging, just pointing out that there are lots of alternatives. Smile )

soaraway

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 7:56 am
Not sure what all the confusion is! Plenty of super talented, degree holding, intelligent and not wealthy girls living in EY who have a hard time finding work/school options in the first couple of months, or anything beyond very part time and often boring work. I think its great OP found something that keeps her occupied in a meaningful way.

Shuly

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 7:59 am
I go to a weekly class where there are some newlyweds who complain about how bored they are. I think it's a new thing. When I moved here over 10 years ago, all of my friends got jobs right away, even the ones who were not planning on staying long term.

Jobs included: working online for American companies, teaching English, working as a "shadow" for special needs children, babysitting or opening a gan, opening a clothing store in their house, doing waxings/manicures, making a baking or art "chug" for neighborhood kids.

That being said, many of them don't start work until 3pm, so I can see how they can be bored in the mornings.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 1:08 am
Shuly wrote:
I go to a weekly class where there are some newlyweds who complain about how bored they are. I think it's a new thing. When I moved here over 10 years ago, all of my friends got jobs right away, even the ones who were not planning on staying long term.

Jobs included: working online for American companies, teaching English, working as a "shadow" for special needs children, babysitting or opening a gan, opening a clothing store in their house, doing waxings/manicures, making a baking or art "chug" for neighborhood kids.

That being said, many of them don't start work until 3pm, so I can see how they can be bored in the mornings.

This.. Many Americans work from home in the evenings for american companies and are very lost with a social life because most people are on a different schedule.
I could see that I would have enjoyed classes / sem lifestyle 1-2 mornings a week during shana rishona.

Tadam

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 3:22 pm
Many of the girls do work - like some mentioned - for american companies from home in the evenings. so that leaves them with A - lack of social life B - plenty of time.....
this program is really unbelievable, and no you cannot compare planning trips on your own to joining a ready set program that provides door to door transport + free trips!!!! (not to mention the food) this program has done very well to many young newlyweds.

m in Israel

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 3:23 pm
Tadam, do you work for the program?

Tadam

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 5:41 pm
work for the program? what work do you mean? it's a fun learning and trips program, where they hire experienced teachers and lecturers, not me!! Smile thanks for the compliment though!

LiLIsraeli

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 5:56 pm
Who is funding this program? If it's free for you, and yet they're hiring experienced lecturers and providing transportation, it must cost them something. Where is the money coming from?

Maryann

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 6:04 pm
Its grants, my sister teaches there she told me

m in Israel

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 4:02 am
Tadam wrote:
work for the program? what work do you mean? it's a fun learning and trips program, where they hire experienced teachers and lecturers, not me!! Smile thanks for the compliment though!

I meant did someone involved in the program request that you post (or hire you to do publicity), or do you work in their office or something? I didn't mean as a teacher or lecturer.

m in Israel

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 4:04 am
Maryann wrote:
Its grants, my sister teaches there she told me

Grants from whom? Do they get funding per student? From a government or private entity? Israeli or foreign? Do you need to fill out any financial requests or forms? I assume everything is 100% yosher and above board in this program, but in general it is important to make sure no one is ever using your personal information to get "funding" on your behalf without your complete awareness of what is going on.

Tadam

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 8:07 am
I'm just a regular imamother, that barely posts, and I'm on a high about this program so I posted to see how people survived here if they were in my situation of working only eve's and not having what else to do.....
They are 100% legit, I did TONZ of research before joining. They offered me to look through their books if that's what I want...... They take both from US gov. and from an Israeli kind of funding that not all are eligible for. one day we saw they had an inspection, and they passed.
I have access to my own college account so that I can track exactly what money and how much she is getting for me. I totally trust her. She is running yachad tours for the last 18 years with grants and scholarships and private pay. I don't think she would risk loosing it all on a few dollars.... but you're right, one should be well aware of they are getting/giving, that is a very important point!

shalhevet

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 8:37 am
Tadam wrote:
Many of the girls do work - like some mentioned - for american companies from home in the evenings. so that leaves them with A - lack of social life B - plenty of time.....
this program is really unbelievable, and no you cannot compare planning trips on your own to joining a ready set program that provides door to door transport + free trips!!!! (not to mention the food) this program has done very well to many young newlyweds.

Well, I hope this isn't coming out of my tax money. I just don't get it. Married women on tourist visas are being funded with free shiurim and trips, while we have to pay a great deal of money for our (Israeli-born) daughters to study.

Even most shiurim for women cost money - unless someone has donated it as a zechus. Halls need to be hired, speakers need to be paid. What does free door to door transport and food mean? They pick you up from your home because it's too hard to get there yourself or fund you a taxi?

I am only half joking wondering if it's funded by missionaries. When something sounds too good to be true, maybe it is...

DrMom

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 10:51 am
Tadam wrote:
I'm just a regular imamother, that barely posts, and I'm on a high about this program so I posted to see how people survived here if they were in my situation of working only eve's and not having what else to do.....
They are 100% legit, I did TONZ of research before joining. They offered me to look through their books if that's what I want...... They take both from US gov. and from an Israeli kind of funding that not all are eligible for. one day we saw they had an inspection, and they passed.
I have access to my own college account so that I can track exactly what money and how much she is getting for me. I totally trust her. She is running yachad tours for the last 18 years with grants and scholarships and private pay. I don't think she would risk loosing it all on a few dollars.... but you're right, one should be well aware of they are getting/giving, that is a very important point!

??? I didn't realize the US govt awarded funding to ladies' shiurim groups in E"Y. How does this work exactly?

tigerwife

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 12:00 pm
There is something called Yachad that organizes trips for single working girls both midwinter and in the summer- kind of like a traveling camp. As far as I know it's far from free (I think some girls can travel for free via birthright if they are eligible). Is this the same program? Do the girls' trips fund the married's trips?

It's funny, I've lived in Israel not too long ago and never heard of this. I was also on an American working schedule, but while life did sometimes get lonely I wasn't bored at all.

Maryann

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 3:19 pm
Im pretty Sure its like a birthright type of thing ,u dont pay for birthright either?am I correct?

MamaBear

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 3:28 pm
The idea behind Birthright, at least partly, is that it leads to increased levels of aliyah for Jews abroad and improves Jewish identity. It's mainly funded by philanthropists and the Israeli gov't gives about 1/5 of the budget. But it's a 10 day trip. Why would anyone pay for young women to have a one year experience like this?

OP, I think there are parts to this you just don't understand or aren't being open about.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics