Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Strawberry ices with honey - any experience?
1  2  Next

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 6:37 pm
I'd love some tnt recipes. My standard recipe is

1 3/4 c oj
1/2 c lemon juice
3 pt strawberries
1 3/4 c sugar
1/8 tsp salt

Combine, blend, freeze partially, reblend, refreeze.

I'm looking for something like this but with honey instead of sugar. I know that there are standard substitutes of honey for sugar but I'm not looking for that. Please answer if you've actually made a sugar-free "sherbet". TIA!!!

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 6:50 pm
I have done strawberries and raw honey before. Its a much more overpowering taste so u definately have to use less. Also a mild flavored honey is better

behappysk

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 7:02 pm
When I was sugar free I did a strawberry sorbet with honey all the time.
1 bag frozen strawberries
1 cup Orange juice
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/3 cup honey
Blend freeze and Reblend.
I used to do it with pineapple And mango too.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 7:59 pm
I make yummy ice pops by blending strawberries, a splash of lemon juice, and honey to taste.

studying_torah

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 8:30 pm
How does the honey affect the texture?

behappysk

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 8:32 pm
Ime it doesn't change the texture at all if it's reblended well.

AlwaysThinking

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 11:48 pm
The best sorbet I make is just frozen fruit blended with fruit juice concentrate. It's delicious, sweet and a yummy thick texture like shop bought sorbet. You can pair the concentrate flavors to match the fruit. Best combos I've found are strawberry with apple concentrate, and mango with orange or pineapple concentrate.

slinky

Post Thu, Mar 17 2016, 11:55 pm
2 packs frozen strawberries
1 cup oil
2/3 cup honey

blend and freeze. no need to reblend, comes out really smooth

5*Mom

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 4:01 am
Riff wrote:
The best sorbet I make is just frozen fruit blended with fruit juice concentrate. It's delicious, sweet and a yummy thick texture like shop bought sorbet. You can pair the concentrate flavors to match the fruit. Best combos I've found are strawberry with apple concentrate, and mango with orange or pineapple concentrate.

I do this as well and the texture is amazing! I partially thaw the fruit first for easier blending.

studying_torah

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 5:27 am
Riff, how much of each?

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 6:04 am
studying_torah wrote:
How does the honey affect the texture?

Thanks! That was my question too.
I also have a sorbet (that's the word I wanted in my op, not sherbet) that calls for a simple syrup. I guess I could google simple syrup with honey. But I'll try that another day.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 6:42 am
You can use ripe banana for texture and sweetness Smile

I've made creamsicles with maple syrup, orange juice, and plain yogurt, and there was no texture problem.
I've made ice cream in my ice cream maker with maple syrup as well, with no issue.
I haven't tried honey though....but it should be similar enough to maple syrup for me to think it should be fine if it's all mixed before freezing.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 6:43 am
Oh, also I've used frozen apple juice concentrate with no added sugar for a great sorbet consistency and sweetness.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 6:47 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
You can use ripe banana for texture and sweetness Smile

I've made creamsicles with maple syrup, orange juice, and plain yogurt, and there was no texture problem.
I've made ice cream in my ice cream maker with maple syrup as well, with no issue.
I haven't tried honey though....but it should be similar enough to maple syrup for me to think it should be fine if it's all mixed before freezing.

Too late now ;-)

yogabird

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 11:22 am
I've made strawberry granita with honey. Purée the strawberries, pour into sieve to remove seeds and pulp, keep juice. Mix juice with water, honey, vanilla extract. Freeze in bowl scraping with fork every half hour after the first 2 hours, or freeze in ice cube trays and process in food processor once frozen.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 2:58 pm
I have, using a Blendtec. Just let the strawberries thaw a little before starting, when I didn't the blender stopped working (maybe due to condensation?).

I think I used the ingredients, but not the directions, from this recipe:
http://www.thekitchn.com/sprin.....68347

The vodka softens it.

You definitely don't need sugar in addition to honey.

AlwaysThinking

Post Sat, Mar 19 2016, 1:08 pm
studying_torah wrote:
Riff, how much of each?

I just partially defrost however much fruit I need, recently I did 4 cups of fruit to fill 16 shot glasses and had some leftover. As for the fruit juice concentrate, it's probably a tablespoon or two but I add it by eye and taste when the texture looks right to check it is sweet enough. It doesn't need freezing and then reblending in my opinion, especially if you are serving it in individual glasses. It is also absolutely heavenly straight out of the blender. Don't be afraid to blend for ages, it only gets smoother.

PinkFridge

Post Sat, Mar 19 2016, 7:39 pm
behappysk wrote:
When I was sugar free I did a strawberry sorbet with honey all the time.
1 bag frozen strawberries
1 cup Orange juice
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/3 cup honey
Blend freeze and Reblend.
I used to do it with pineapple And mango too.

So it came out pretty well, considering I hardly had any lemon juice left. I had to let it thaw about a half hour before serving. Thanks, and to everyone!

studying_torah

Post Sat, Mar 19 2016, 10:04 pm
My problem is, whenever I make sorbet it gets so hard in the freezer. How do you keep it soft and smooth, but not runny?

Dolly Welsh

Post Sat, Mar 19 2016, 10:09 pm
Into a blender that can pulverize ice cubes easily:

-a tray of ice cubes
-three long squirts of Agave syrup
-two splashes of a flavor extract, such as one of these: lemon, orange, almond, coconut. They can come from The Spice House website. I have not done strawberry.

Blend completely smooth, with your elbow on the top button, while holding your ears. You don't want hearing damage. My blender is a Ninja. There are many brands.

A little color is nice but not necessary; some grenadine will make it pink.

Pour the blended mush into a covered plastic box, and freeze. It will scoop.

That's it. Cheap.

No, it won't be exactly like store-bought. That's ok. It's very intense so you don't eat that much of it. A shot glass might be enough.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking