Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Curly haired little girls
1  2  Next

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 10:08 am
My daughter has the most adorable curly hair, but it tends to frizz up and become a big tangled mess.
We have some simchos and Yom Tov coming up soon, and I would love for her hair to look like beautiful neat curls, held back with a headband or clip, and not a tousled, frizzy mess.

I am totally hopeless with these things - is there a cream or spray or gel that could help me out? What is the easiest way to maintain her hair?

shoshiesavannah

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 10:13 am
I have curly hair and it took me years to figure out what to do with it. I use a product called Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding- it's for "ethnic" hair and makes my curls soft without being crunchy. And no frizz! You use a small amount and scrunch the hair. Good luck!

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 10:13 am
I'll be following... my girls hair is the same as you describe, did you ever give her a haircut? I'm wondering if I should, if it will make it easier or harder to deal with.

water_bear88

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 10:17 am
Look into the "Curly Girl" method. In general, you don't want to shampoo curly hair too often as it tends to be dryer than straight hair. Sadly, I only found out about this method after I was already married, but even with my hair covered most of the day I think it's helped.

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 10:35 am
I use the Deva Curl method. I learned about it before high school and have been using it ever since. No shampoo, no gooey products that aren't good for the hair.

I wouldn't suggest giving a little girl with very curl hair a haircut. Curls need weight in order for them not to frizz up. Even what looks to be a little haircut will probably make her hair super short (if you cut lets say an inch, it will spring up to two inches after its cut-just to keep in mind). You should go to one of the Devachan locations. They have their own little curly girl world and you learn SO much about how to care for curls when you visit. Ive been going there for years and learn something new every time I visit. Once you know how to properly take care of curls your life will be much easier Smile It is a bit pricey for a visit, so you might not want to take a young girl there just yet, but they do have youtube videos of how to's and I definitely recommend their products.

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 2:17 pm
The most important thing you need to know about curly hair is that you should never brush it when it's dry. Use conditioner in the shower and brush well afterwards and use a product to tame the hair (DD uses CurlyQ by Fairytale). Then leave it alone except for maybe a little spritz of water to tame it when necessary.

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Mar 18 2016, 6:32 pm
I second DevaCurl and Curly Girl! I am a PASSIONATE curly mom (with curly sisters, cousins, etc.) of 4 curly girls ages 6 to 16.

My oldest has her hair cut at Devachan in NY- twice a year. She trims in between on her own, following stylist's directions. She gives the younger ones curly girl cuts. Their hair looks beautiful and it's much easier to care for than fighting the curls!

Listen to the wise curly headed ladies in this thread. I summed up our family's 10 keys to curls, but I read many above:

1. Curls need length to weigh them down. For long bob, shoulder length or longer, long layers is the key to curls without "triangle head"
2. Never use pony tails or clips, only bobby pins and SCRUNCHIES. traditional pony holders will a) pull out the curls, and b) break your hair off, leading to MORE frizz and "halo head." Curly hair is naturally much drier than straight hair and will break more easily.
3. Never wash curly hair with shampoo, use silicone free, alcohol free conditioners- most anything for color treated hair is a great start (unless you want to pay $$$$ for DevaChan no- poo or Ouidad stuff)
4. To keep cost down and for little kids, you can condition with same product you use to wash, or use a richer, heavier, treatment type conditioner as your "conditioner. "
5. Never completely rinse out conditioner; leave some in for weight and additional moisture.
6. Use an old cotton t shirt to "squeeze dry" most water out of your hair, to keep curls in (squeeze up, don't pull hair down)
7. Use alcohol-free gel when damp, squeeze up, don't pull down, then dry naturally
8. For the best cut, only cut hair when completely DRY.
9. Never let anyone brush curly hair when dry- it creates the worst frizz and hair breakage. Brush curly hair only when damp and full of conditioner, and only with a wide tooth comb or fingers.
10. To get rid of knots, first wash, then with conditioner still in hair, use fingers or wide tooth comb, starting at ends of hair, work your way up to detangle knots. Much easier, less crying.

If you follow these keys, you will have to do detangling much less frequently.

There are super resources all over the web, and youtube has great devacurl videos on how to wash and style curly hair, that were recommended to my daughter by her stylist. I just saved you about $250!

Doing a french twist in a curly head with some curls hanging down around her face (an easy, usual curly updo) is gorgeous at a simcha, with a flower, gems or other embellishment. It's a showstopper.

Look for the first edition of the devacurl or deva girl book (can't remember the name): it has great advice, is appropriate for kids and can be grabbed cheap!

Good luck and LOVE YOUR CURLS!

amother
Emerald

Post Sat, Mar 19 2016, 7:20 pm
I have a 2-year-old son with a big mop of adorable curls. The 2 things I've noticed that make the biggest difference in how his hair looks are: 1. Plenty of conditioner. 2. Brush immediately after the shower and never when dry. If I do these 2 things, he has perfect little bottle curls. If not, disaster.

A few posters wrote not to use shampoo. How do you wash their hair then? I shampoo my son 3 times a week followed by conditioner and haven't noticed it ruining his curls.

amother
Beige

Post Sat, Mar 19 2016, 7:36 pm
I'm a curly girl from a curly family and my daughters are curly too.
Our curly hair tends to be thinner and finer as opposed to thick curls that you can't get a brush through.

In my experience:

Curly hair needs to be layered to give it a shape. I layer my daughters' hair myself a few times a year - there are videos on you tube that can help you.
I only trim the bottom of their hair slightly to remove split ends and only about twice a year. As mentioned by others, you don't want to shorten their hair since the curls shorten it already.

Only brush hair when wet. I brush or comb when there is conditioner in the hair. After rinsing the conditioner, it does not get brushed again until the next bath.
I do use shampoo first - never heard of that being a problem and since we have dandruff, it's necessary.

Every morning, hair gets sprayed with plain water to rejuvenate the curls. After plain water, I spray some spray gel. (Honestly, I buy what is cheapest, which currently is Garnier Fructis brand) If my daughter did not shower the night before and still has gel in her hair from the previous day, I just spray plain water and don't add more gel.
After spraying/gelling, scrunch up the hair in your fists.

They look really adorable with headbands and curls cascading down!

HelloG

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 12:02 am
Ill follow too although I thought I tried just about everything already. I feel so bad for my two yr old dd. The brushing out part. And shabbos Is so hard to look at her mess of hair. I just need a support group for moms of curly heads by now.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 10:18 am
On shabbos morning, just spray with a spray bottle of plain water. I don't think you can touch it afterward and scrunch it up but just spraying and letting it drip dry makes a big difference.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 10:46 am
What do you all do about girls with curly hair who don't want to fuss with their hair? Who don't have the patience to comb out in the shower or to spray with product every day and just want to wake up, put their hair in a pony, and go? Mine has dandruff / scalp issues and has to shampoo multiple times a week, and hates it.

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 11:44 am
use a horse comb http://www.target.com/p/goody-.....+hair

comb do not brush in shower with conditioner ... afterward put in curly hair products - I personally use beyond the zone noodle head ... scrunch the curls into place & leave alone ... when it's almost dry you can smooth any frizzies out with a little mousse or anti frizz something

for the wedding should you desire you can actually have the hair blow dried & hot curled to have a smoother more luxurious hairdo

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 11:56 am
Alot of dandruff issues is actually, as a professional nurse told me, shampoo build up that has not been rinsed off well enough. Also often an overuse of hair products and their content irritating the skin.
My daughter has curly hair. I allow her to wet and brush it in a pony for school.
She has thin hair. Does not use any hair products besides shampoo. And the all important only brushing when wet.

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 12:04 pm
amother wrote:
Alot of dandruff issues is actually, as a professional nurse told me, shampoo build up that has not been rinsed off well enough. Also often an overuse of hair products and their content irritating the skin.
My daughter has curly hair. I allow her to wet and brush it in a pony for school.
She has thin hair. Does not use any hair products besides shampoo. And the all important only brushing when wet.

thin curly hair has no battles to fight ... thick curly hair is another situation entirely as is dandruff

anyone with dandruff can put jojoba oils on the scalp while the hair is still wet & it would relieve said issue

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 2:25 pm
Make sure you aren't using products with alcohol on her hair.

Personally, I and my daughters have super thick, kinky hair. I use Dr Bronner's castile soap and not shampoo. I put a little bit of palm or coconut oil in, and then rinse with warm water. I only comb my hair wet, so as not to break it. When the girls' hair gets mussed, I spray it with water in a spray bottle and then comb it with a wide tooth comb or if it's just a little mussed, spray it and crunch it with my fingers.

Excessive dandruff is a sign of a gluten allergy. Mild dandruff can be from too much product residue or shampoo that is too drying.

user2

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 2:42 pm
My 2 year old daughter has very curly, frizzy hair too. (not a lot of hair). I got this tip from s/o -it works great! I mix water and (light) mousse in a spray bottle, spray and brush. It keep the Hai neat on top an curls on bottom. (I she sleeps on it). I love that neat cute look

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 2:45 pm
amother wrote:
Make sure you aren't using products with alcohol on her hair.

Personally, I and my daughters have super thick, kinky hair. I use Dr Bronner's castile soap and not shampoo. I put a little bit of palm or coconut oil in, and then rinse with warm water. I only comb my hair wet, so as not to break it. When the girls' hair gets mussed, I spray it with water in a spray bottle and then comb it with a wide tooth comb or if it's just a little mussed, spray it and crunch it with my fingers.

Excessive dandruff is a sign of a gluten allergy. Mild dandruff can be from too much product residue or shampoo that is too drying.

To the bolded- or various other things. Dh gets it as a result of a chocolate allergy.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 10:04 am
amother wrote:
To the bolded- or various other things. Dh gets it as a result of a chocolate allergy.

Never knew that. Good to know!

anony

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 10:33 am
Here are the keys in my experience:
1) Do not brush the hair dry! Only brush right after bathing.
2) What my hair stylist calls "Product". Just lather hair with hair lotion after bathing. In my experience it doesn't really matter what kind. Something silky feeling and not oily is what has worked for me, but I think as long as you put something in the frizz will be kept to a minimum. It is also true what someone before me wrote that longer hair "weighs down" the curls which can help with the frizziness issue.

Don't worry, once you and your daughter figure out what works, her hair will be absolutely gorgeous! Curls are the best!

Good luck!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics