Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Curly haired little girls
Previous  1  2

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 10:50 am
just wanted to say I feel validated Smile- my dh thinks I'm nuts for not using shampoo on my curly hair. The only time I use real shampoo is for mikvah Sad

definitely agree about growing it out-makes a world of difference!

Chayalle

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 11:01 am
I use shampoo always with conditioner on my favorite little curlyhead (see my avator. It's gotten a little less curly since she was little Sad. I love those curls.) And only brush wet. Spritz with water spray mornings, then brush.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 11:17 am
for those of you that advised never to brush the hair dry, what do you do every morning? what about the frizz around the face????

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 6:18 pm
amother wrote:
for those of you that advised never to brush the hair dry, what do you do every morning? what about the frizz around the face????

you spray with water & smooth out ... it will reactivate the curly solution you put in hair and help tame the frizz

you can also try frizz ease after wetting just a drop on hands and smooth over

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 11:19 pm
Does anyone know how to delete a post?

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 11:28 pm
amother wrote:
I have a 2-year-old son with a big mop of adorable curls. The 2 things I've noticed that make the biggest difference in how his hair looks are: 1. Plenty of conditioner. 2. Brush immediately after the shower and never when dry. If I do these 2 things, he has perfect little bottle curls. If not, disaster.

A few posters wrote not to use shampoo. How do you wash their hair then? I shampoo my son 3 times a week followed by conditioner and haven't noticed it ruining his curls.

This Question stuck out to me. So ill try to answer as best I can.

Although it may seem odd to avoid shampoo (and I usually get strange looks from people when I tell them I don't use shampoo) but the truth is that shampoo dries out curly hair terribly. Especially for a little kid, it would make it so much easier for the both of you if you avoided it-especially in the long run. When I used to use shampoo I didn't notice it doing anything to my hair either, but after years of using the product ill tell you about in a minute the second I use shampoo to test my hair out with it, it feels like horse hair and is full of knots. As I previously posted I swear by the Deva Curl method. They offer a product that is called "No Poo" (cute right?). I would suggest using that product. It almost feels like conditioner so it keeps the hair moisturized. Also, they say you shouldn't wash the hair more than 1-2 times per week. The natural oils in the hair keep it looking good and prevents it from drying out Smile

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 11:35 pm
I use pillow soft curls on my 6 yr old. It works really well.

My issue is that she is a sensory kid, so doing her hair every morning is a huuuuge struggle, but it looks terrible when she wakes up! It's thin and curly, and it looks half straight and frizzy when she wakes up. Anyone mastered going to bed and waking up with normal looking curl hair????

She's the only girl with really curly hair and the only kid with glasses in her class, so she feels self concious already...

esther11

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 11:51 pm
amother wrote:
I use pillow soft curls on my 6 yr old. It works really well.

My issue is that she is a sensory kid, so doing her hair every morning is a huuuuge struggle, but it looks terrible when she wakes up! It's thin and curly, and it looks half straight and frizzy when she wakes up. Anyone mastered going to bed and waking up with normal looking curl hair????

She's the only girl with really curly hair and the only kid with glasses in her class, so she feels self concious already...

Does she go to sleep with her hair wet? If it's dry already that would probably help

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 6:47 am
esther11 wrote:
Does she go to sleep with her hair wet? If it's dry already that would probably help

Exactly. Not sure if you do this, but definitely going to bed with wet hair causes problems for curls.

flmommy

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 7:03 am
This is all very helpful but I still don't get how you don't ever brush curly hair. My did has long curly hair and if it's not freshly washed is super knotty. No way is she going to shower every am before school. I don't think spritzing and scrunching will help because her hair would just be too knotty. We do put her hair in a high bun before bed. Any other suggestions?

mary6

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 7:13 am
I wish there was an easy answer to this. Ahh the struggles. The only thing that keeps my daughters hair not knotty is a braid, but that means you don't get to see how gorgeous her hair is. And obviously you can only braid it right after a hair wash once it's dry there is no hope.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 12:11 pm
When I got older the only way to keep my hair nice was to shower every morning. I often left the house with a towel over my shouldres.

My girls with very girly hair are still pretty young, we only brush in the shower or with a wet brush - rewet between every stroke. Every so often I'll use a curly hair serum, but most of the time at this age I just leave it natural, it looks so young and fresh and pretty, they have the rest of their life to worry about taming it.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 1:07 pm
Doesn't matter if she sleeps on it wet or dry, she looks neglected when she wakes up, even if it looked beautiful before bed time. I don't mind spraying it with water every morning or putting product in it, but bc of her sensory issues it's a big ordeal every single day!

musicmom

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 5:17 pm
Curly girls need a haircut with layers and angles around the face so it does not become traingular in shape.

Condition well in the shower.

Use a product like Simply Smooth Magic Potion or Curls Rock, which are creams that make the hair smooth but don't loose the curl.

Try to tousle the hair when drying, and you can use a diffuser to partially dry hair.

In the summer use leave in conditioners like Garnier to nourish hair, and braid hair often when not fancy.

Try It's a 10 detangler mixed with water in a spray bottle for emergency knots, and use a wide tooth comb on wet hair, always starting from the bottom.

sandwitched

Post Fri, May 13 2016, 7:19 pm
I make sure to put my daughter to sleep with her hair in a pony so that I can brush it out in the morning. I use tresemme mousse for daily use. It doesn't make the hair sticky so I like it. For shabbos I make her hair wet and bottle curl the layers. It holds for the entire day!

My daughter's hair is frizzy, tangly and curly...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics