Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Another tuition vent....
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

imorethanamother

Post Wed, Mar 23 2016, 11:42 am
amother wrote:
Regarding only your comment on ACA; You are incorrect. There are loopholes after loopholes and ime, only the mo schools offer insurance. In fact, I had accepted a position this year as a lead teacher and dh is a secular studies teacher. My position was full time (8:15-4:30!) and paid only $20,000, and offered no health benefits or any other paid days off - no sick leave, and lets say I took off a day before a school break, I would be double docked. I was astounded, and asked on a local facebook page how this was ok that the local schools dont offer health benefits to full time teachers. Literally none of them do. I was attacked! People were livid, asking me how dare I expect the school to pay my health, or any other teacher/rebbes health, which would jack up their tuition.
Ps - I backed out of that job.

No, it just means that the school decided to pay penalties instead of providing health insurance. The lack of health insurance is one reason I left teaching. Also because women are paid substandard wages, but men are paid a living wage.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Mar 23 2016, 11:46 am
imorethanamother wrote:
No, it just means that the school decided to pay penalties instead of providing health insurance.

Not necessarily. Many schools have mostly part time staff and they are not required to offer coverage to employees under 30 hours per week, and they don't need to count any after school hours. Your average teacher in a dual curriculum school is teaching less than 30 hours a week.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Mar 23 2016, 11:49 am
amother wrote:
Not necessarily. Many schools have mostly part time staff and they are not required to offer coverage to employees under 30 hours per week, and they don't need to count any after school hours. Your average teacher in a dual curriculum school is teaching less than 30 hours a week.

And they work it out somehow to make sure that they have kess than 50 full time employees, so they dont have to provide.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Mar 23 2016, 11:56 am
amother wrote:
And they work it out somehow to make sure that they have kess than 50 full time employees, so they dont have to provide.

Even not. If an employer has 300 employees who all work 20-25 hours a week. They will definitely be over 50. Maybe there will be 3 administrator's and 2 secretaries who work full time.

The admins aren't eligible for subsidies because they are above the threshold, so won't trigger a penalty, and the secretaries are below the the threshold. No offer, no penalties, yes reporting.

asp40

Post Fri, Mar 25 2016, 1:17 pm
Here is what I dont understand. If so many of us hate the system, then get out of the system. Homeschool, try your own school, send to public school, get involved in the school finance committee. Stop worrying about what other people do.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Apr 04 2016, 11:36 pm
The piece of all this that I struggle with is how certain schools can afford to spend money for impressive Sports programs, nice buildings, etc.. If you are going to be using the families money then you should be surviving on near bare bones. I can understand that it is expensive to maintain a school, but if the school really is struggling to cover the costs, how can they afford to make such expensive improvements?

miami85

Post Mon, Apr 04 2016, 11:58 pm
I don't know if this is the norm, but I worked for 2 very respected NY area yeshivos in the past--not with either any more, but I have a relative who still does. The first one was over 10 years ago but they definitely offered health insurance then and I'm pretty sure still does. Last year I worked for another yeshiva, whom I don't know what they did in the end b/c I was only there for a year and the salary I had we were on Medicaid, but they did send a questionnaire asking about the need for insurance. I don't know what became of that questionnaire, but they were at least concerned for their staff--and they offered 3 weeks maternity leave, which I did take them up on (+8 sick days which gave me 5 paid weeks of maternity leave)

saw50st8

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 8:20 am
amother wrote:
The piece of all this that I struggle with is how certain schools can afford to spend money for impressive Sports programs, nice buildings, etc.. If you are going to be using the families money then you should be surviving on near bare bones. I can understand that it is expensive to maintain a school, but if the school really is struggling to cover the costs, how can they afford to make such expensive improvements?

the schools with impressive sports programs and beautiful buildings are usually very expensive. Frisch (frisch.org/) is like $30,000/year. If I'm paying $30,000/year for my child, I want them to have every feature and advantage. They amazing academics (Judaic and Secular), great sports program, wonderful extracurriculars....and it's super expensive.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 11:17 am
saw50st8 wrote:
the schools with impressive sports programs and beautiful buildings are usually very expensive. Frisch (frisch.org/) is like $30,000/year. If I'm paying $30,000/year for my child, I want them to have every feature and advantage. They amazing academics (Judaic and Secular), great sports program, wonderful extracurriculars....and it's super expensive.

I understand that you get what you pay for, but my point is that I'd rather not pay for those things, especially if a good portion of the school has to be on scholarship because the price is so high... why not cut costs like these so that more people can afford to pay a more reasonable amount? I understand that the rich people want to have all the bells and whistles but most people cannot afford that and would rather (I think, but at least I can speak for myself on this) spend less and have less expensive programming as a result.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 11:22 am
asp40 wrote:
Here is what I dont understand. If so many of us hate the system, then get out of the system. Homeschool, try your own school, send to public school, get involved in the school finance committee. Stop worrying about what other people do.

While I understand your thought, I also think it is not realistic for most frum families. While public school is certainly more affordable, being part of a Jewish community means that you value Jewish education. Granted there are other ways to get it (Sunday schools, etc), but those cost money and don't teach to nearly the same level that most families want. The point is that Jewish schools should not be making it so difficult for the average family to afford a Jewish education. Rather they should be making it as easy as possible so that people do not have to have this exact thought process, that it's just easier to send to public school.

saw50st8

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 12:25 pm
amother wrote:
I understand that you get what you pay for, but my point is that I'd rather not pay for those things, especially if a good portion of the school has to be on scholarship because the price is so high... why not cut costs like these so that more people can afford to pay a more reasonable amount? I understand that the rich people want to have all the bells and whistles but most people cannot afford that and would rather (I think, but at least I can speak for myself on this) spend less and have less expensive programming as a result.

I hear that. I doubt my kids are going to high schools that are as expensive as that because I can't afford it (I will have 3 kids in high school and one in elementary school), so it's just not affordable for me.

But not every school has to cater to everyone.

We chose to send our child to the most affordable school in town. One of the biggest factors was cost. They don't have many of the bells and whistles that the other schools do and that's ok. I have a choice.

It's a lot harder if you live in a community with 1 school, but I'm blessed to have 5 good, solid elementary schools in my town (plus some other smaller options, as well as plenty within busing range). We chose what works for our budget and situation.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Apr 05 2016, 5:50 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
It's a lot harder if you live in a community with 1 school, but I'm blessed to have 5 good, solid elementary schools in my town (plus some other smaller options, as well as plenty within busing range). We chose what works for our budget and situation.

Exactly. I live in a community with not so many options, and the few options that we have are differentiated by hashgafa. (So neither me nor my kids would fit in to the slightly "less expensive" school.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Apr 06 2016, 7:34 am
The issue of public school as an alternative to an expensive Jewish education is more complex than often acknowledged. It's not just the education, which might be made up with tutors and parents teaching the child.

We recently seriously considered sending a child to public school for high school. Kid wanted to explore the option, and we decided to allow and even to encourage the exploration. I have to be honest, at some point I was thinking, if kid wants it and gets into desired school, what a financial relief!

Kid got into one of three magnet programs that kid applied to. But then we --- and kid --- started considering the realities. School starts really early, so there's virtually no chance of davening shacharis before leaving for school. Might be some chance of getting to school early and davening then, but not clear that there would be space available to do so. In winter, might come back after time for mincha has passed. No yom tov days off. It's one thing to deal with this in college, anther to deal with that in high school No kosher lunch program and this kid does a lot better with lots of hot lunch. Kid would make friends with non-Jews and non-Orthodox Jews, which is totally fine, but kid felt that a few religious friends were also needed.

Kid decided in favor of Jewish education. Back to unending financial struggle, but a smile on our faces.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics