Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Marinated veg salad - no sugar/ artificial subs

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 10:22 am
What can I substitute for sugar / artificial sweetness in marinated veggie salad
? TIA

Edited to clarify its for raw veg salad

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 10:39 am
I never put sugar or sweeteners when marinating vegetables. Why do feel you need to make them sweet?

tigerwife

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 10:41 am
I usually marinate in olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic... What do you usually do? Honey soy?

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 11:12 am
Lady Godiva wrote:
I never put sugar or sweeteners when marinating vegetables. Why do feel you need to make them sweet?

That's the recipe I got. ( sweet
Is not
My taste) - thought it was perhaps necessary for marinating. Great I'll skip
Sugar.
Im looking for a make ahead marinated veggie recipe
If that is yours would love to have it too

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 11:17 am
amother wrote:
That's the recipe I got. ( sweet
Is not
My taste) - thought it was perhaps necessary for marinating. Great I'll skip
Sugar.
Im looking for a make ahead marinated veggie recipe
If that is yours would love to have it too

I mix olive oil with either lemon or lime juice and crushed garlic. Add salt, pepper, dried oregano and chopped basil. Let the vegetables marinate in the mixture for a few hours, then grill or roast.
(You can skip the oregano and basil if you don't care for them, or add any herbs you prefer.)

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 11:22 am
Lady Godiva wrote:
I mix olive oil with either lemon or lime juice and crushed garlic. Add salt, pepper, dried oregano and chopped basil. Let the vegetables marinate in the mixture for a few hours, then grill or roast.
(You can skip the oregano and basil if you don't care for them, or add any herbs you prefer.)

Thanks so much

Which veggies do u use?
How long ahead can u make this ?
Perhaps the vinegar ones last longer and that's what Im looking for and maybe they need sugar.
- is love to try yours. How long does it last. - for Purim when can I make it?

TIA

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 1:37 pm
I've done this with yellow squash, zucchini, portobello mushrooms, eggplants and peppers.
I usually marinate for a few hours and then bring to room temperature before grilling or roasting.
You can use vinegar instead of lemon or lime if you prefer that flavor.
I've never marinated them overnight. I assume the flavor would be more intense.

Faigy86

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 1:45 pm
I think you might be talking about 2 different dishes.

Sounds like OP is talking about a salad type of dish, (raw veges) while Lady Godiva is talking about a marinade prior to grilling or roasting veges.

Is that right?

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 1:47 pm
Faigy86 wrote:

Sounds like OP is talking about a salad type of dish, (raw veges) while Lady Godiva is talking about a marinade prior to grilling or roasting veges.

Is that right?

I was wondering the same thing

either way OP just leave out sugars ... you can't go wrong with olive oil & garlic & whatever spices you like

Faigy86

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 1:50 pm
greenfire wrote:
either way OP just leave out sugars ... you can't go wrong with olive oil & garlic & whatever spices you like

I'm not so sure about that. I have a few recipes for salad veges that are marinated for a while and the sugar is important in all the recipes. I think it balances out the strong acid.

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 1:54 pm
Faigy86 wrote:
I'm not so sure about that. I have a few recipes for salad veges that are marinated for a while and the sugar is important in all the recipes. I think it balances out the strong acid.

maybe - but I'm not a fan of vinegar or sugar so that could just be my taste preference

AlwaysThinking

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 1:54 pm
If you are talking about salad then I often use apple cider vinegar and salt as a dressing, tastes sweet enough like that.

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 1:56 pm
Faigy86 wrote:

Is that right?

Whoops! I just assumed she'd be cooking them!

cnc

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 1:57 pm
Lady Godiva wrote:
Whoops! I just assumed she'd be cooking them!

Your recipe looks great. I am trying it today. (Not OP)

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 2:54 pm
Op here
Thanks lady Godiva for your recipe. Yes I was looking for a marinated raw veggie salad that I can make ahead Bc of its fridge life.
I do like your recipe and will definitely be saving it on the recipe box - thanks!

And thank you Riff for apple cider idea. I just like to avoid sugar so that's a good trick- Would love the recipe.

Thanks everyone for your input Im amother Bc Im embarrassed at my lack of practical knowledge and This is a spinoff of other threads looking for ways to make ahead ...
Thanks Y'all
Happy Purim
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking