Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Dressing a toddler boy up as a girl
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 10:40 am
What's your take?

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 10:42 am
Someone in my family dressed her toddler son as a Snow White.

My first reaction was: seriously? So gay...

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 10:44 am
I dressed my toddler son last year as a ballerina. It was the cutest thing. He had long blonde curls and it was hard to believe he's a boy.
It's Purim! I don't think dressing as girl is any worse as dressing in Disney characters.

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 10:47 am
I would never do it. There are a thousand other things you can dress him up as, why in the world would you dress him up as a girl? Because you have girl clothes at home and it's easier for you? That's mean.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 10:47 am
I am the only girl in my family and I have a whole slew of brothers. I was always DYING for a sister. So on purim we used to dress the youngest boy up as a girl. He already had long hair because he was 2 so all we did was put on a pink outfit and a bow. It was innocent, cute and fun.
These days because the world is so messed up in the gender identity area I am sure a lot of people would comment or raise an eyebrow but a couple of years ago it was just plain v'nohapuchu fun. An older boy is another story but a toddler? c'mon...

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 10:48 am
amother wrote:
I am the only girl in my family and I have a whole slew of brothers. I was always DYING for a sister. So on purim we used to dress the youngest boy up as a girl. He already had long hair because he was 2 so all we did was put on a pink outfit and a bow. It was innocent, cute and fun.
These days because the world is so messed up in the gender identity area I am sure a lot of people would comment or raise an eyebrow but a couple of years ago it was just plain v'nohapuchu fun. An older boy is another story but a toddler? c'mon...

Why? Because a toddler can't defend himself? I don't get it.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 10:49 am
Lady Godiva wrote:

Because it doesn't mean anything serious to the toddler.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 10:52 am
Lady Godiva wrote:

because all a toddler knows is that people are kissing him up because he looks adorable. What in the world is the problem with that??

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 10:52 am
amother wrote:
Because it doesn't mean anything serious to the toddler.

Because he can't verbalize it, maybe. Don't do to a baby what you wouldn't do to a boy.

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 10:54 am
amother wrote:
because all a toddler knows is that people are kissing him up because he looks adorable. What in the world is the problem with that??

He'd be kissed up just as much and just as adorable as Mickey Mouse, a puppy, or Batman. Whatever. This is going to be a pointless conversation, it seems.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 10:56 am
If he doesn't have a set gender identity yet, what's the problem?

I think gender is defined by societal concepts of gender roles. My baby loves dolls and 'cooking' with pots in the kitchen. He also loves strutting around in flairy little dresses when we dress him up on Purim. And he also likes playing with cars and doing other boy stuff.

If he were uncomfortable, we wouldn't do it. If he likes it, why not?

vicki

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 10:57 am
I've always found it creepy and very sad.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 10:57 am
Lady Godiva wrote:
Because he can't verbalize it, maybe. Don't do to a baby what you wouldn't do to a boy.

This doesn't make too much sense. Many things are fine to do with toddlers and not go older boys.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 10:59 am
I think it's a sweet idea. old school maybe but still fun. I wanted to do that this year but my toddler only wanted to be a baby. like he's not.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 11:03 am
Lady Godiva wrote:

Sorry darlin' can't change your diaper today. Or give you a bath. Or feed you for that matter...

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 11:06 am
amother wrote:
Sorry darlin' can't change your diaper today. Or give you a bath. Or feed you for that matter...

You're purposely being stupid, right?
One is taking care of his needs while the other is having fun at his expense.
I'm not even sure why I read this or bothered to respond to this.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 11:08 am
Lady Godiva wrote:
You're purposely being stupid, right?
One is taking care of his needs while the other is having fun at his expense.
I'm not even sure why I read this or bothered to respond to this.

I was actually trying to be adorable.

And let's just agree to disagree on this one.

Merrymom

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 11:08 am
It's creepy. My sister did it one year and my nephew made a gorgeous girl but I was so disturbed by it.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 11:10 am
Only my youngest sibling is a girl. Before she was born, when I really really wanted a sister, I sometimes dressed up my younger brother in old dresses of mine. Believe me, no harm done- he's a happily married, completely straight grown man.

Anyway, a hundred years ago, all toddlers wore dresses. Google "baby picture Franklin Roosevelt" if you don't believe me!

Laiya

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 11:22 am
amother wrote:
Only my youngest sibling is a girl. Before she was born, when I really really wanted a sister, I sometimes dressed up my younger brother in old dresses of mine. Believe me, no harm done- he's a happily married, completely straight grown man.

Anyway, a hundred years ago, all toddlers wore dresses. Google "baby picture Franklin Roosevelt" if you don't believe me!

This is exactly why it's a problem, and I think why some people find it disturbing.

I think it's important for a mother to ask herself what her motivation is?

Does she wish, deep down, that she had a little girl, and this is some way of fulfilling that fantasy for herself?

Because if that's the case, then dressing him as a girl is disrespectful to him, imo.

Full disclosure: I desperately wished that my youngest brother had been a girl, and I remember doing the same to him embarrassed
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics