Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Which shul is suitable for collecting on Purim- NY

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 9:57 am
Please be gentle with me- I'm in an unbelievably difficult situation (too complicated to write about here) and I'm thinking that on Purim - when ''kol haposhit yad'' is in effect... I would sit in front of a shul and collect funds.

Tragic, but true.

I imagine that sitting in front of certain shuls would not result in many donations, and that sitting in front of other shuls would result in significant donations.

Can anyone direct me to the more likely options?

I'm in Brooklyn, NY and can get around the five boros via public transit.

Tizku l'mitzvos.

STMommy

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 10:03 am
I am so very sorry you are in such a horrendous financial situation. I wish I had a recommendations for you. In my community, the only people that are allowed to solicit funds at homes or in shul are people who have met with the community Rabbi and have a signed letter from him with them attesting to the fact that they are a person in need. The community Rabbi instructed all members of the kehilla to only donate to someone who can present this letter. Can you meet with the rav of your shul so perhaps some or all of the matanos l'evyomin that are collected this year in your shul could go to you?

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Mar 23 2016, 1:09 pm
bump. Anyone?
Tizka l'mitvos

doctorima

Post Wed, Mar 23 2016, 2:19 pm
I would think a shul that has non-stop minyanim would be best. I know that Landau's in Flatbush is mobbed, but I don't know how much each individual collector gets. There's also Shomrei Shabbos in BP or Satmar in Williamsburg. Or you could try an active and wealthy shul like Agudah of Ave. L, or something similar closer to you. Or try one for Shacharis, and another for Mincha. Best of luck!

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Mar 23 2016, 2:35 pm
amother wrote:
Please be gentle with me- I'm in an unbelievably difficult situation (too complicated to write about here) and I'm thinking that on Purim - when ''kol haposhit yad'' is in effect... I would sit in front of a shul and collect funds.

Tragic, but true.

I imagine that sitting in front of certain shuls would not result in many donations, and that sitting in front of other shuls would result in significant donations.

Can anyone direct me to the more likely options?

I'm in Brooklyn, NY and can get around the five boros via public transit.

Tizku l'mitzvos.

Is there something in particular that you require? Maybe people on this board can direct you to an appropriate gemach or other government resources that can help. You should not have to be in a situation where you find yourself begging in Brooklyn, NY. B'H the government provides Section 8 for families that can't afford full rent and also food stamps and WIC. There are also a lot of Jewish gemachs that provide clothing and other organizations that assist with medical.
What specifically do you need?
(I am not judging- I personally have benefited from all of these programs at some point in my life and am not sure that sitting in front of a shul would be the most effective way for you to get what you're looking for.)

greenfire

Post Wed, Mar 23 2016, 3:21 pm
I am truly sorry that you are in such a difficult situation. May the people you hold your hand out to - be kind & generous !!!

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ Hug }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Mar 23 2016, 3:29 pm
Thankfully, rent and food are not an issue. I require medical care that is not covered by insurance.

It is unthinkable that I am about to do this, yet if a woman is thinking of collecting in B'klyn, it's a clear indication the need is urgent and that no other sources have been sufficient in providing for life-saving expenses.

My medical expenses are twelve hundred dollars a month, at a minimum. They're alternative treatments that are not covered by Medicaid. Bikur Cholims can offer one or two sessions every now and then.

Trust me, if this wasn't a life-threatening situation I'd not be thinking of such a radical move.

If you're in a position to help, I'm willing to share details via back-channel. Funds can be made directly to the doctor/practitioner.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Mar 23 2016, 3:49 pm
amother wrote:
Thankfully, rent and food are not an issue. I require medical care that is not covered by insurance.

It is unthinkable that I am about to do this, yet if a woman is thinking of collecting in B'klyn, it's a clear indication the need is urgent and that no other sources have been sufficient in providing for life-saving expenses.

My medical expenses are twelve hundred dollars a month, at a minimum. They're alternative treatments that are not covered by Medicaid. Bikur Cholims can offer one or two sessions every now and then.

Trust me, if this wasn't a life-threatening situation I'd not be thinking of such a radical move.

If you're in a position to help, I'm willing to share details via back-channel. Funds can be made directly to the doctor/practitioner.

I'm very sorry to hear and I wish I was in a financial position to help. What kind of life-saving medical treatment does Medicaid not cover??? That sounds nuts!

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Mar 23 2016, 3:55 pm

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 7:00 am

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 7:21 am
bump.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 7:30 am
Thank you for posting the crowd funding page so we can make donations.
Refuah Shelaima B'karov! Hug

GreenEyes26

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 8:19 am
Guys, there are HUGE red flags on the crowdsourcing site. Mod, can you step in and verify this? Please, no one donate until this is cleared up.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 9:16 am
I'm happy to speak with the mod. So much for Dan l'kaf z'chus :-(

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 9:38 am
Greeneyes26- I would welcome an opportunity to speak with you so that I can offer you the info that would possibly help you have a sense of trust about my situation.
Would you be willing to share a phone number where I can reach you?
I would love it if you'd remove your comment, if you'd be willing. I'm in need of rachamim before it's too late.

PAMOM

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 11:26 am
Coral, I think many more people might be willing to find ways to help if we understood why your medical costs aren't covered by insurance or Medicaid.

cnc

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 11:31 am
PAMOM wrote:
Coral, I think many more people might be willing to find ways to help if we understood why your medical costs aren't covered by insurance or Medicaid.

She wrote that they're alternative treatments.
Those are usually not covered by insurance.

watergirl

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 11:43 am
Coral, the past few weeks there have been a number of posts removed by mods for asking for funds via one of those sites. Thats why people have their feathers up.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 2:59 pm
My red flag went up when the crowd funding website was very vague and did not explain things. What police incident? How is that related to her medical issues and costs? Has she exhausted all insurance-covered procedures/treatments/medications? (This treatment might work but if there is one insurance will pay for that also works then that is the route that should be taken before collecting charity). Plus the post was not edited for grammar etc... All red flags.

While I don't want to pry, and understand a need for some measure of privacy, if you want me to give money to you anonymously and not through a tzeddakah organization- I need to feel that the money is going to a real needy person.
Yes, it is Purim and if you approached me at shul (and I actually remembered to bring cash with me...felt bad I forgot at megila today) I would give something. Without questions. But online? I can't just give a dollar online.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics