Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Am I disgusting?
1  2  Next

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 1:01 pm
I was talking about laundry with a friend and she was shocked to learn that I launder my clothing - except my underwear of course - once a month or less often. She thinks it's disgusting. After telling me I always look so clean, no she finds me disgusting. Am I??

alwaysamother

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 1:03 pm
Is that because you have enough clothing to wear for a whole month, or because you often wear the same article of clothing many times?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 1:08 pm
alwaysamother wrote:
Is that because you have enough clothing to wear for a whole month, or because you often wear the same article of clothing many times?

I wear the same article many times. For example, I only have 2 skirts.

ROFL

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 1:11 pm
Usually shirts should be washed after every time you wear. Skirts you can get away with wearing two or three times Underwater and socks should be washed daily

alwaysamother

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 1:12 pm
I think in general, different items of clothing have different 'lives'. You can wear a skirt many times especially with tights or leggings underneath and as long as it looks clean and doesn't smell, it isn't a problem.

Clothing that are worn directly against your body (shells, t-shirts, etc) generally should be washed more frequently.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 1:13 pm
I hardly ever wash my skirts. I also hardly ever wash my sweaters over shells. Do you air out your tops? Do you wash the clothes against your body?

It is very yucky if you don't.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 1:16 pm
amother wrote:
Do you wash the clothes against your body?

Yes, every time I take a shower.

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 1:30 pm
back in the day I would rather enjoy having more clothing - especially with little ones running about & doing laundry less often

it's actually even better use of the same energy to have full loads than a bunch of small ones

and I like separate loads I.e. dark, white, light, towels, bed sheets & delicate all go into different loads

LiLIsraeli

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 1:35 pm
amother wrote:

Wait, what? You're saying that you don't even take off your clothes when you shower?

So not only are you wearing dirty clothing, you're not even washing your body?

Sorry, that is disgusting.

ETA: The question that you were responding to seemed to ask if you launder the clothes that touch your body such as undergarments and hosiery. It didn't sound like you were answering that question - rather if you wash the clothes while they are touching your body. I'm sorry if I misunderstood - can you clarify what you meant?

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 1:37 pm
I wouldn't say disgusting, just very unhygienic. Don't your clothes smell after rewearing so many days?

mommyla

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 1:42 pm
LiLIsraeli wrote:
Wait, what? You're saying that you don't even take off your clothes when you shower?

ETA: The question that you were responding to seemed to ask if you launder the clothes that touch your body such as undergarments and hosiery. It didn't sound like you were answering that question - rather if you wash the clothes while they are touching your body. I'm sorry if I misunderstood - can you clarify what you meant?

I had to reread it... I think she meant that she launders/changes the clothing that touches her body every time she showers. Which is hopefully daily, otherwise yes, OP, that's pretty gross.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 1:47 pm
LiLIsraeli wrote:

I think she was being sarcastic in response to the weirdly-phrased question.

LiLIsraeli

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 1:51 pm
amother wrote:
I think she was being sarcastic in response to the weirdly-phrased question.

I hope so! I hope this whole thread is sarcasm.

LiLIsraeli

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 1:52 pm
amother wrote:

Also, how often do you take a shower?

sourstix

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 2:35 pm
please leave her alone. she is feeling concious now anyway. she should know that clothes that touch the body get washed after one wearing. anything else is as needed. I wash my skirts mostly almost every time after wearing once. sometimes in winter only after two wears.

and yes a shower is needed every day. in winter can get away with every other day. but not more. also depends on the person. I need it daily.

shooting star

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 3:01 pm
I'd probably wash my non underwear clothes about once a month if I didn't have a toddler and a baby getting dirt on it. I'm lucky if it lasts a whole day! As long as it looks clean and doesn't smell it doesn't really need to be washed, right Wink

I would think a shell is in the category of underwear as it's like an undershirt and gets sweaty.

Also, I don't typically shower everyday. And I don't really care if people think that's disgusting. There is information that washing skin and hair too often causes dryness and isn't good. Everyone's body is different so what's disgusting for one skin type might not be for another. I know that when I'm pregnant or nursing a newborn it really feels disgusting when I don't shower for a day so then I do.

observer

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 3:06 pm
If you are wearing a full shell underneath, tops and sweaters are not touching your body and do not have to be washed as frequently as the shells underneath.

pointyshoes

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 5:49 pm
You asked an honest question and deserve an honest answer:
Sorry dear but you've gotta wash your clothes more often. Its not hygienic

rae

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 6:14 pm
No, you are not disgusting. Some people sweat more than others, some people stay cleaner than others and we all have different lifestyles. Clothes that need to be dry cleaned get ruined if you do it too often. Most adults don't wash their clothes or pjs every day. Really don't get everyone jumping here.

BetsyTacy

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 6:21 pm
Do you dry clean your husband's suit every Shabbos? Assuming neither he nor anyone spilled or drooled on it, I would hope not.
Do you have a sedentary, climate controlled commute to work, work in a sedentary, clean job and come home and change into junky clothes? Those are the clothes that get splashed with marinara sauce, and get shvitzy from the hot stove, not the work clothes.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry