Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Hibernating on the couch before the introvert nightmare
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 8:58 pm
My homeopath says to take Lycopodium for this.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 9:11 pm
Scoot over on the couch!

I feel the exact same way. I'm an introvert, HSP, and I get overwhelmed really fast. Add GAD to that, and it's a bad combo. My meds mean I can't even drink! Mad

DD has sensory issues, and absolutely hates the loud noises, so I think we're going to sit as far away as possible from the noise of the megilla reading, just enough that we can still hear it and follow along. If that means sitting in the lobby near the front door of the shul, than that's where we'll be. Knowing that the exit is nearby can help stave off the panic attacks.

STMommy

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 9:23 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I'm an introvert, HSP, and I get overwhelmed really fast.

Me too! So nice to see someone else write that. Glad to have some company Smile

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 9:27 pm
I never even knew about HSP!

I'm a 4 on the enneagram, an INFP on Meyers-Brigg, and now I got a new label - highly sensitive. Wink

All of which are not conducive to multiple graggers going off at once in a crowded room full of people, which is only the first activity of a crow-saturated day...

It'll take a while to recharge and recuperate!

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 10:26 pm
amother wrote:
I never even knew about HSP!

I'm a 4 on the enneagram, an INFP on Meyers-Brigg, and now I got a new label - highly sensitive. Wink

All of which are not conducive to multiple graggers going off at once in a crowded room full of people, which is only the first activity of a crow-saturated day...

It'll take a while to recharge and recuperate!

Wave Wave

Hi, 4 here, INFJ and definitely an HSP!

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 10:31 pm
Me is a four too

rgr

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 10:36 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

DD has sensory issues, and absolutely hates the loud noises, so I think we're going to sit as far away as possible from the noise of the megilla reading, just enough that we can still hear it and follow along. If that means sitting in the lobby near the front door of the shul, than that's where we'll be. Knowing that the exit is nearby can help stave off the panic attacks.

In my shul they bang by the first and last Haman only

Emotional

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 11:24 pm
I've got a great recipe:
Purim + Social anxiety + being an introvert + sensory issues that make me startle easily and cower from loud noises = ??????????????
(not sure that's a cake I want to taste)

tigerwife

Post Wed, Mar 23 2016, 12:04 am
gp2.0 wrote:
Very interesting. I'm an introvert and I love purim! Maybe I'm not a real introvert...

I categorize myself more as an introvert but honestly, I enjoy hanging out with friends and enjoy social events (not too loud and crowded though!) I can spend hours alone and I never get bored but when I go out with friends it energizes me for a long time.

I guess I'm not hyper sensitive or the other labels some posters are using.

OP (and everyone else) good luck! Nothing wrong with taking a few moments to chill alone in your room every now and then.

animeme

Post Wed, Mar 23 2016, 6:53 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

Hatzlachah! Can you guys go to a later women's reading? The ones after kids' bedtimes are often much quieter.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Mar 23 2016, 10:49 am
Lol on second thought, reading this thread I realized I have already taken all possible precautions in advance and that's why I enjoy Purim.

1) don't go to shul for Megillah
2) don't drive around town delivering MM
3) have quiet family meals

Voila! I love Purim.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Mar 23 2016, 1:11 pm
Yes to all the above and I never knew about HSP until now. Thank you! I answered yes to almost every question. My dh is an introvert too but our kids aren't. One of my kids is an extreme extrovert....always inviting friends over and constantly with a need to socialize. I try to teach her that sometimes your own company can be enough but she won't go for it. She doesn't understand the enjoyment of curling up with a good book. Oh, well!

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Mar 23 2016, 1:31 pm
Glad someone brought up the HSP thing because I was about to.
HSP over here Wave
OP, your original post also made you seem HSP because you're not just talking about the people, but the bright lights and sound... Yes, it's hard for us but once you know what it is, it's somewhat easier to manage or handle. You realize that your sudden irritability has a specific source (or often sources) and try your best to remove yourself from the stimuli. As much as possible, try to give yourself some periodic recovery times. Go to your bedroom, close the door, and try to lie down for a few minutes. (This may be unrealistic, I know, but even if you can get five minutes here or there, it's better than nothing.)
If possible, try to turn the music lower in your house so it has a pleasant sound as opposed to blaring. Not sure what your purim schedule entails or what your family dynamics are like, but maybe you can stay in the house while DH takes the kids on the rounds, to avoid the madness outside?
You deserve to enjoy this as well! Although, it is admittedly not my favorite. And alcohol does help me because it numbs my ridiculously high senses. So there's also that, if you're not driving. Wink

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 11:02 am
How are we all doing?

Yesterday wasn't bad, I stayed home all night and cooked in the peaceful quiet of my kitchen.

Today it's an open house and I have sensory overload.

Screaming and laughing kids, overwhelmed babies crying, men dancing and getting drunk, and I am... At wits end

Feel like someone is scraping their nails on my brain

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 11:12 am
Last night was semi bad with my mothers neighbor upstairs hosting hyper teens and my husband insisting on going up there. Right now I'm freaking out from the pressure and dreading going outside. Sigh

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 11:26 am
My deepest sympathies. I can't even imagine going outside now!

Good luck!

(Skin colored earplugs would come in handy, no? At least we'd have a blessed aura of peace amid all the frenzied chaos...)

MrsDuby

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 11:58 am
This thread has been fascinating. Thank you OP for sharing ... and I see many women feel the same way.

While I generally enjoy Purim (if I'm feeling up for it) I can definitely relate to the HSP concept as well as getting overwhelmed.

This might sound a little "woo woo" - but from what I've learned, a lot of it has to do with the "energy" around us. On a physical level, yes its loud, lots of people - but energetically its a lot for our systems (malls, airports can do the same thing) ... I do exercises that help strengthen my energy field so I'm not as vulnerable to the "loudness" around me... and it does help.

Thank you again to the OP and to all those who shared ...

Wishing you a calm Purim Smile

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 2:58 pm
amother wrote:
Love this thread Smile
As an HSP I also just get so overwhelmed by the whole day and all its expectations. I'm already panicking because we dont get a day to recover this year. It's straight into shabbos..

yeah, we were invited out this shab but I asked if we could go next week for this reason.

etky

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 4:23 pm
Thinking about this thread today.
I realized that aside from the frenetic nature of the day, Purim stresses me out for three reasons:
1. Having to be social throughout the day with almost no respite and the fact that I am constantly being interrupted by the doorbell and having to be 'on' whenever someone is at the door. Even when I'm not interacting I'm dreading that doorbell.
2. Sensory overload - I don't think I need to explain....
3. Too much going on at the same time and the fear of losing control.
I have a system for checking off MM when they are given out and for taking apart incoming MM with designated landing areas for different types of food and packaging as well as different containers for each of the kids MM that they receive. When there are several incoming packages at once it's harder to preserve the order. Not to mention when I go out to deliver and I return to several that arrived in my absence and need to be deconstructed before others arrive and a backlog is created.
I realize this may sound absurd to others who are more easygoing but I need to keep a lid on the chaos otherwise I can't funtion.
One thing I decided to do this year that helped - I did not put on the Purim music that I usually do. I did miss hearing the songs but it also lowered my stress level to have that much less background noise.
All in all b"h we had a very nice chag but I am so glad it is over now.

pause

Post Thu, Mar 24 2016, 4:26 pm
Taking my much-needed down time now.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics